Request for consultation
The most widely read and respected history of art and architecture in the English language for over 85 years, GARDNER'S ART THROUGH THE AGES: THE WESTERN PERSPECTIVE presents an engaging approach that discusses the most significant artworks and monuments in their full historical and cultural contexts. In addition, a highly comprehensive and integrated array of digital resources brings course content to life, providing students with the tools they need to excel in your class. MindTap® for GARDNER'S ART THROUGH THE AGES provides an interactive digital experience for exploration, study, and development of critical thinking skills. It includes an image-first, interactive eBook with zoom-able images, more than 100 videos, audio resources, image flashcards, a Guide to Studying, critical thinking questions, and much more.
- The most widely read and respected art history text is now available on MindTap®, the first image-led educational software for art that keeps the core content – the artwork - at the forefront of study. This highly customizable and interactive, image-first digital experience encourages students to discover the history and meaning of art with a visually rich eBook that places the art, surrounding discussion and curated content all on the same two-page spread.
- The 15th edition includes Google Maps coordinates for all sites and works discussed in the text to take students on a virtual tour of art through the ages.
- Architecture videos, available in MindTap®, give students a virtual tour of significant monuments and sites.
- New text boxes, "Problems and Solutions" and "The Patron's Voice," add to students' understanding of particular works and movements.
- All maps have been updated for clarity and accuracy, helping students make geographical connections between places and sites.
- The 15th edition thoroughly represents the art history canon and presents a breadth and depth of images unparalleled in other art texts, with more than 100 new or improved images.
- The MindTap® online learning platform guides students along a path to greater comprehension and engagement with the course content.
- The Digital Image Library flash drive for instructors includes over 1,000 high-resolution images, as well as updated PowerPoint® Lectures, an Instructor Manual and a test bank to complement the new material.
1. Art in the Stone Age.
2. Ancient Mesopotamia and Persia.
3. Egypt from Narmer to Cleopatra.
4. The Prehistoric Aegean.
5. Ancient Greece.
6. The Etruscans.
7. The Roman Empire.
8. Late Antiquity.
10. The Islamic World.
11. Early Medieval Europe.
12. Romanesque Europe.
13. Gothic Europe.
14. Late Medieval Italy.
15. Late Medieval and Early Renaissance Northern Europe.
16. The Renaissance in Quattrocento Italy.
17. Renaissance and Mannerism in Cinquecento Italy.
18. High Renaissance and Mannerism in Northern Europe and Spain.
19. The Baroque in Italy and Spain.
20. The Baroque in Northern Europe.
21. Rococo to Neoclassicism: The 18th Century in Europe and America.
22. Romanticism, Realism, Photography: Europe and America, 1800 to 1870.
23. Impressionism, Post-Impressionism, Symbolism: Europe and America, 1870 to 1900.
24. Modernism in Europe and America, 1900 to 1945.
25. Modernism and Postmodernism in Europe and America, 1945 to 1980.
26. Contemporary Art Worldwide.
"I have taught Survey of Art using Gardner since 1974. The Kleiner versions are masterpieces."
"I find Art through the Ages to be head and shoulders above other survey texts in terms of its contextual treatment of the objects. Fred Kleiner's interest in explaining how and why objects functioned within their social, religious, political and funerary contexts effectively opens the door for further learning in the classroom."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Digital Image Library
Bring digital images into the classroom with this powerful tool. This one-stop lecture and class presentation tool makes it easy to assemble, edit, and present customized lectures for your course. Available on flash drive, the Digital Image Library provides high-resolutions images (maps, diagrams, and the fine art images from the text) for lecture presentations.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access, Vol I
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Instructor's Edition, Vol II