Request for consultation
FUSION: INTEGRATED READING AND WRITING, Book 2 is a developmental English book for reading and writing at the essay level. It connects the reading and writing processes so that they are fully reciprocal and reinforcing, using parallel strategies that guide students in analyzing reading to generate writing. FUSION teaches critical reading strategies in conjunction with the shared writing traits, such as main idea, details, and organization, and teaches the types of writing (including research) that students will encounter in their future courses. Grammar instruction is integrated in authentic writing, using high-interest professional and student models. Based on reviewers' and users' input, the second edition has been significantly revised and honed to better meet the needs of instructors teaching the course.
- The Table of Contents has been restructured to better model the circuitous relationship between reading and writing, based on feedback from instructors who are teaching integrated reading and writing courses.
- A new Chapter 2, “Approaches to Reading and Writing,” sets the stage for the reading and writing integration that is applied throughout the book. Now more succinct, this chapter introduces students to the similarities within the reading and writing processes and the common strategies these skills require, such as annotating, note taking, and summarizing.
- A new Part 2, “Reading and Writing Essays,” brings additional emphasis to the integration of reading and writing. Chapters 4 thru 7 introduce students to the concepts common between reading and writing-ideas, organization, coherence, audience, purpose, and tone-and offer strategies for how to critically read for these traits, as well as how to craft them in students' own writing.
- A new Part 3, “Types of Reading and Writing,” focuses on the kinds of reading and writing assignments students are likely to encounter in their future college courses. The book provides students with strategies for how to read and write summaries, narratives, explanatory texts, and arguments.
- A new Part 8, “Readings for Writing,” offers an additional anthology of readings that can be used to foster critical thinking, discussion, and various writing opportunities. Designed to engage students' interest in a variety of topics, the anthology provides flexibility to assign more practice of reading and writing skills.
- MindTap™ is a fully online, customizable learning experience built upon the text's content. MindTap combines readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments into a singular Learning Path that guides students through their course.
- Diagnostic tests, succinct instruction, and engaging assignments powered by Aplia™ reinforce concepts and provide students with the practice they need to build fundamental reading, writing, and grammar skills. The Individualized Study Path (ISP) can generate a list of auto-graded assignments for each student tailored to his or her strengths and weaknesses.
- Grammar instruction throughout the book: FUSION integrates relevant grammar coverage in the context of students' reading and writing assignments. Additional practice and instruction appears in the book's “Workshop” sections.
- Pedagogy that emphasizes critical thinking and vocabulary: Purposeful use of learning aids, such as “Consider the Traits” boxes, thought-provoking quotes followed by a “What do you think?” question, and integrated “Drawing Inference” activities, reinforces key concepts, promotes skill development, and encourages students to think analytically. Challenging words are defined on-page, and integrated vocabulary exercises provide students practice in defining words.
- Guided practice: “Review and Enrichment” sections allow students to immediately practice reading and writing skills as they are introduced. “Reading and Reacting” reading samples now provide more background information, prereading questions, vocabulary questions, and prompts for drawing inferences.
- Integrated reading and writing guidance in every chapter: FUSION's integrated approach is reciprocal and reinforcing. Parallel reading and writing strategies are introduced in Chapter 1, “The Reading-Writing Connection” and Chapter 2, “Approaches to Reading and Writing.”
- Brief, approachable learning units: Every chapter has several assignments with a clear learning objective and a clear stopping point. This purposeful design allows students to stay focused.
1. The Reading-Writing Connection.
2. Approaches to Reading and Writing.
3. Critical Reading, Writing, and Viewing.
Part II: READING AND WRITING ESSAYS.
7. Audience, Purpose, and Tone.
Part III: TYPES OF READING AND WRITING.
8. Reading for and Writing Summaries.
9. Reading and Writing Narratives.
10. Reading and Writing Explanatory Texts.
11. Reading and Writing Arguments.
Part IV: READING AND WRITING RESEARCH.
12. Understanding Research Basics.
13. Research Report.
Part V: SENTENCE WORKSHOPS.
14. Sentence Basics.
15. Simple, Compound, and Complex Sentences.
17. Sentence Problems.
Part VI: WORD WORKSHOPS.
21. Adjective and Adverb.
22. Conjunction and Preposition.
Part VII: PUNCTUATION AND MECHANICS WORKSHOPS.
25. Quotation Marks and Italics.
26. Other Punctuation.
Part VIII: READINGS FOR WRITING.
Appendix: Vocabulary for Readers and Writers.
“As a reading professor, I appreciate how well FUSION walks students through the writing process in general, and for each writing pattern specifically. It scaffolds my teaching and helps me feel more confident as I move from teaching 'stand alone' reading classes to integrated reading and writing classes.”
“I selected FUSION after seeing an early version and noting that the opening approach was in reading, with several opportunities to write responses and open a solid foundation based on reading/comprehension as a process. I also experienced very dedicated support from my Cengage rep and others who worked with her and with us to make sure that our faculty had resources and information.”