Request for consultation
This approachable, interdisciplinary text reflects the author's twenty-plus years of experience in the substance abuse field. Comprehensive and broad in its scope, the book parallels the practice process with substance abuse clients, offering a four-stage organization (an overview that includes theoretical foundations, pharmacology, and models; client engagement; screening and assessment; and treatment) that walks students through this process. The book's highly applied nature ensures that students will find an abundance of specific information they can put to use in daily practice.
1. Social Work and Substance Abuse Practice.
3. Models of Chemical Dependency.
Part II: CLIENT ENGAGEMENT.
4. The Art of Client Engagement.
5. Understanding the Family.
6. Macro Context for Substance Abuse Practice.
Part III: SCREENING AND ASSESSMENT.
7. Introduction to Screening and Assessment.
8. Substance Abuse Assessment.
Part IV: TREATMENT.
9. The Substance Abuse Treatment System.
10. Substance Abuse Treatment Methods.
11. Populations at Risk.
Appendix A: Substance Abuse Assessment/Case History Format.
Appendix B: Sample Substance Abuse Assessment/Case History Report.
Appendix C: "African-American Women: Oppression, Depression, Rage And Self-Medication," by Lois Smith-Owens.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.