Request for consultation
Retaining the concise, to-the-point presentation that has already helped thousands of students move beyond memorization to a true understanding of the beauty and logic of organic chemistry, this Seventh Edition of John McMurry's FUNDAMENTALS OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY brings in new, focused content that shows students how organic chemistry applies to their everyday lives. In addition, redrawn chemical structures and artwork help students visualize important chemical concepts, a greater emphasis on biologically-related chemistry (including new problems) helps them grasp the enormous importance of organic chemistry in understanding the reactions that occur in living organisms, and new End of Chapter problems keyed to OWL allow them to work text-specific problems online. Lastly, , for this edition, John McMurry reevaluated and revised his writing at the sentence level to ensure that the book's explanations, applications, and examples are more student-friendly, relevant, and motivating than ever before.
- The problem sets now include additional biologically-oriented problems in most chapters, shortened and focused "In the Medicine Cabinet' and "In the Field" end-of-chapter problems, and new End of Chapter problems keyed to OWL that match the text to online homework.
- Redrawn art and chemical structures (as well as computer-generated Orbitals) help students visualize chemistry processes and structures.
- Titles have been added to Worked Examples to provide students with a frame of reference.
- New "Why This Chapter?" explanations in chapter introductions explain the relevance of chapter material to students.
- The book's writing has been revised at the sentence level to make the presentation even more student-friendly, relevant, and motivating.
- "In the Field with Agrochemicals" and "In the Medicine Cabinet" applied problems use compounds associated with agriculture and medicine.
- Clear explanations, thought-provoking examples, and an innovative vertical format for explaining reaction mechanisms make the text relevant and student-friendly.
- Applied chapter openers with associated photos and molecular models help students see the relevance of chapter content.
- The text's full color presentation highlights the reacting parts of molecules and uses computer-generated ball-and-stick molecular models to aid students' three-dimensional perception.
- Nearly 100 electrostatic potential maps display the polarity patterns in molecules and the importance of these patterns in determining chemical reactivity.
2. The Nature of Organic Compounds: Alkanes.
3. The Nature of Organic Reactions: Alkenes.
4. Reactions of Alkenes and Alkynes.
5. Aromatic Compounds.
7. Alkyl Halides.
8. Alcohols, Phenols, and Ethers.
9. Aldehydes and Ketones: Nucleophilic Addition Reactions.
10. Carboxylic Acids and Derivatives.
11. Carbonyl Alpha-Substitution Reactions and Condensation Reactions.
INTERLUDE: THE ROADMAP OF CHEMICAL REACTIONS.
13. Structure Determination.
14. Biomolecules: Carbohydrates.
15. Biomolecules: Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins.
16. Biomolecules: Lipids and Nucleic Acids.
17. The Organic Chemistry of Metabolic Pathways.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Study Guide with Solutions Manual
Homework help! Develop the solid problem-solving strategies you need for success in organic chemistry with this Study Guide/Solutions Manual. Contains answers to all problems in the text.