Request for consultation
The FUNDAMENTALS OF MATHEMATICS, 9th Edition offers a comprehensive review of all basic mathematics concepts and prepares students for further coursework. The clear exposition and the consistency of presentation make learning arithmetic accessible for all. Key concepts are presented in section objectives and further defined within the context of How and Why; providing a strong foundation for learning. The predominant emphasis of the book focuses on problem-solving, skills, concepts, and applications based on "real world" data, with some introductory algebra integrated throughout. The authors feel strongly about making the connection between mathematics and the modern, day-to-day activities of students. This textbook is suitable for individual study or for a variety of course formats: lab, self-paced, lecture, group or combined formats. Though the mathematical content of FUNDAMENTALS OF MATHEMATICS is elementary, students using this textbook are often mature adults, bringing with them adult attitudes and experiences and a broad range of abilities. Teaching elementary content to these students, therefore, is effective when it accounts for their distinct and diverse adult needs. Using Fundamentals of Math meets three needs of students which are: students must establish good study habits and overcome math anxiety; students must see connections between mathematics and the modern day-to-day world of adult activities; and students must be paced and challenged according to their individual level of understanding.
- This Enhanced Edition includes instant access to Enhanced WebAssign®, the most widely-used and reliable homework system. Enhanced WebAssign presents thousands of algorithmically-generated problems, links to relevant textbook sections, video examples, problem-specific tutorials, and more, that help students grasp the concepts needed to succeed in this course. As an added bonus, the Start Smart Guide has been bound into this text. This guide contains instructions to help students learn the basics of Enhanced WebAssign quickly.
- CHAPTER 6 REORGNIZATION. Based on user and reviewer feedback, Chapter 6, Percent, has been reorganized and updated. Conversions of fractions, decimals and percents have been consolidated. The section on Applications of Percents has been reorganized and significantly expanded. The three new sections of applications are the following: Section 6.6 General Applications of Percent and Percent of Increase and Percent of Decrease; Section 6.7 Sales Tax, Discount and Commissions; and Section 6.8 Simple and Compound Interest as Applied to Savings and on Loans, Credit Card Payments and Balances.
- NEW EXAMPLES have been written in each section for the Example and Warm-Up Sections, keeping the material timely.
- NEW ROUTINE EXERCISES. Approximately 30% – 50% of Routine Exercises, located in each section, are new to this edition.
- NEW AND UPDATED APPLICATION PROBLEMS. The authors have meticulously updated and added new application problems in keeping with the emphases on real-world data.
- ESTIMATING. The topic of estimating has been simplified and rewritten for all operations and is included in whole numbers and decimals.
- CALCULATOR EXAMPLES, marked by the calculator symbol, demonstrate how a calculator may be used. The use of the calculator, however, is optional.
- CAUTION remarks help to forestall common mistakes.
- OBJECTIVES are listed at the beginning of each section and correspond to the sequence of exposition which serve to tie together the "How" and "Why" pedagogy, including highlighted content, the examples and exercises. This provides structure and consistency to students.
- VOCABULARY - words that are new to the sections are defined and boxed off for easy reference.
- HOW and WHY. These segments correspond directly to the objectives. They explain and demonstrate concepts and skills in a step-by-step format.
Whole Numbers and Tables: Writing, Rounding, and Inequalities. Adding and Subtracting. Whole Numbers Multiplying Whole Numbers. Dividing Whole Numbers. Whole Number Exponents and Powers of Ten. Order of Operations. Average, Median, and Mode. Drawing and Interpreting Graphs. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. True/False Concept Review. Test. Group Project.
2. PRIMES AND MULTIPLES.
Divisibility Tests. Multiples. Divisors and Factors. Primes and Composites. Prime Factorization. Least Common Multiple. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. True/False Concept Review. Test. Group Project.
3. FRACTIONS AND MIXED NUMBERS.
Proper and Improper Fractions, Mixed Numbers. Simplifying Fractions. Multiplying and Dividing Fractions. Multiplying and Dividing Mixed Numbers. Building Fractions, Listing in Order, Inequalities. Adding Fractions. Adding Mixed Numbers. Subtracting Fractions. Subtracting Mixed Numbers. Order of Operations; Average. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. True/False Concept Review. Test. Group Project. Cumulative Review Chapters 1 – 3.
Decimals: Reading, Writing, and Rounding. Changing Decimals to Fractions, Listing in Order. Add and Subtract Decimals. Multiplying Decimals. Multiplying and Dividing by Powers of 10; Scientific Notation. Dividing Decimals; Average, Median, and Mode. Changing Fractions to Decimals. Order of Operations; Estimating. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. True/False Concept Review. Test. Group Project.
5. RATIO AND PROPORTION.
Ratio and Rate. Solving Proportions. Applications of Proportions. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. True/False Concept Review. Test. Group Project. Cumulative Review Chapters 1 – 5.
The Meaning of Percent. Changing Decimals to Percents and Percents to Decimals. Changing Fractions to Percents and Percents to Fractions. Fractions, Decimals, Percents; A Review. Solving Percent Problems. Applications of Percents. Sales Tax, Discounts, and Commissions. Interest on Loans. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. True/False Concept Review. Test. Group Project.
7. EASUREMENTS AND GEOMETRY.
Measuring Length. Measuring Capacity, Weight, and Temperature. Perimeter. Area. Volume. Square Roots and the Pythagorean Theorem. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. True/False Concept Review. Test. Group Project. Cumulative Review Chapters 1 – 7.
8. ALGEBRA PREVIEW; SIGNED NUMBERS.
Opposites and Absolute Value. Adding Sign Numbers. Subtracting Sign Numbers. Multiplying Sign Numbers. Dividing Sign Numbers. Order of Operations; A Review. Solving Equations. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. True/False Concept Review. Test. Group Project.
Appendix A: Calculators.
Appendix B: Prime Factors of Numbers 1 through 100.
Appendix C: Squares and Square Roots (0 – 99).
Appendix D: Compound Interest Table.
Midterm Examination: Chapters 1 – 4.
Final Examination: Chapters 1 – 8.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This online instructor database offers complete worked solutions to all exercises in the text, allowing you to create customized, secure solutions printouts (in PDF format) matched exactly to the problems you assign in class. Visit www.cengage.com/solutionbuilder
Complete Solutions Manual
The Complete Solutions Manual provides worked-out solutions to all of the problems in the text.
PowerLecture with ExamView®
This CD-ROM (or DVD) provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching. Create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams using Solution Builder's online solutions manual. Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book are also included on this CD-ROM (or DVD).
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
CourseMate, 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access
Student Solutions Manual
CourseMate, 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.