Request for consultation
This text fills a need for a textbook that presents the basic topics and fundamental concepts underlying electric machines, power electronics, and electric drives for electrical engineering students at the undergraduate level. Most existing books on electric drives concentrate either on converters and waveform analysis (ignoring mechanical load dynamics), or on motor characteristics (giving short shrift to analysis of converters and controllers). This book provides a complete overview of the subject, at the right level for EE students. The book takes readers through the analysis and design of a complete electric drives system, including coverage of mechanical loads, motors, converters, sensing, and controllers. In addition to serving as a text, this book serves as a useful and practical reference for professional electric drives engineers.
- Broad, flexible presentation of topics supports either a stand-alone course in Electric Drives, or a broader survey of Energy Systems, at a level appropriate for undergraduates.
- Presents methods required to achieve speed control, position control, braking and holding of a variety of electric drives systems.
- Covers steady-state and dynamic analysis of electric drives systems.
- Presents the effect of the mechanical load inherent characteristic with respect to speed changes.
- Covers the topic of trajectory control, when starting and braking times must be controlled. This topic is especially important in high performance applications such as robotics and guided manipulations.
- The author uses his industry experience to develop real world examples and problems.
- Bound-in disk contains multimedia software that illustrates concepts of key drive systems, plus MATLAB® simulations that help students understand the process of designing electric drives.
- M-files for select examples and problems are available at www.brookscole.com.
Historical Background / Basic Components of an Electric Drive System
2. INTRODUCTION TO SOLID STATE DEVICES
Transistors / Thyristors / Other Power Devices / Ratings of Power Electronic Devices / di/dt and dv/dt Protection
3. INTRODUCTION TO SOLID STATE SWITCHING CIRCUITS
Single-Phase, Half-Wave, ac-to-dc Conversion for Resistive Loads / Single-Phase, Full-Wave, ac-to-dc Conversion for Resistive Loads / Single-Phase, Half-Wave, ac-to-dc Conversion for Inductive Loads without Freewheeling Diode / Single-phase, Half-Wave, ac-to-dc Conversion for Inductive Loads with Freewheeling Diode / Three-Phase, Half-Wave ac-to-dc Conversion for Resistive Loads / Three-Phase, Half-Wave, ac-to-dc Conversion for Inductive Loads / Three-Phase, Full-Wave, ac-to-dc Conversion / dc-to-dc Conversion / dc-to-ac Conversion / Energy Recovery Systems / Three-Phase Energy Recovery System / Current Source Inverter
4. JOINT SPEED-TORQUE CHARACTERISTICS OF ELECTRIC MOTORS AND MECHANICAL LOADS
Bi-Directional Electric Drives System / Four-Quadrant Electric Drives
5. SPEED-TORQUE CHARACTERISTICS OF ELECTRIC MOTORS
dc Motors / Induction Motors / Synchronous Motors / Damages to Electric Machines
6. SPEED CONTROL OF DIRECT CURRENT MOTORS
Speed Control of Shunt or Separately Excited Motors / Speed Control of Series Motor
7. SPEED CONTROL OF INDUCTION MOTORS
Basic Principles of Speed Control / Speed Control Using Rotor Resistance / Rotor Voltage Injection / Slip Energy Recovery / Speed Control Using Inductance / Speed Control by Adjusting the Stator Voltage / Speed Control by Adjusting the Supply Frequency / Voltage/Frequency Control / Current Source Speed Control
8. BRAKING OF ELECTRIC MOTORS
Regenerative Braking / Dynamic Braking / Counter-Current Breaking
9. BRAKING OF DC MOTORS
Regenerative Braking of dc Shunt Motors / Regenerative Braking of dc Series Motors / Dynamic Braking of dc Shunt Motors / Dynamic Braking of dc Series Motors / Counter-Current Braking of dc Shunt Motors / Counter-Current Braking of dc Series Motors
10. BRAKING OF INDUCTION MOTORS
Regenerative Braking / Dynamic Braking / Counter-Current Braking
11. TRANSIENT TIME OF ELECTRIC DRIVES SYSTEM
Moment of Inertia / Basic Concept of Traveling Time / Gears and Belts / Traveling Time of dc Motors / Traveling Time of Induction Motors / Traveling Time of Synchronous Motors / INDEX