Request for consultation
A brand new book, FUNDAMENTALS OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING THERMODYNAMICS makes the abstract subject of chemical engineering thermodynamics more accessible to undergraduate students. The subject is presented through a problem-solving inductive (from specific to general) learning approach, written in a conversational and approachable manner. Suitable for either a one-semester course or two-semester sequence in the subject, this book covers thermodynamics in a complete and mathematically rigorous manner, with an emphasis on solving practical engineering problems. The approach taken stresses problem-solving, and draws from "best practice" engineering teaching strategies. FUNDAMENTALS OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING THERMODYNAMICS uses examples to frame the importance of the material. Each topic begins with a motivational example that is investigated in context to that topic. This framing of the material is helpful to all readers, particularly to global learners who require "big picture" insights, and hands-on learners who struggle with abstractions. Each worked example is fully annotated with sketches and comments on the thought process behind the solved problems. Common errors are presented and explained. Extensive margin notes add to the book accessibility as well as presenting opportunities for investigation.
- Combination of Inductive and Deductive approaches -- the text expertly combines inductive and deductive teaching, invoking each style where appropriate, enabling students to better grasp concepts and apply them with greater ease.
- Simplified writing style and high on rigor -- authors write in a conversational style that is easily understood by students and keeps the material from becoming dry and/or intimidating, but without compromising the mathematical rigor of the material.
- Real-world example-based approach, enabling students to better grasp the abstract concepts involved in thermodynamics and instructors to better communicate core thermodynamics concepts that are used to build upon in future engineering courses.
- Learning Objectives at the beginning of each chapter.
2. The Physical Properties of Pure Compounds.
3. Material and Energy Balances.
5. Thermodynamic Processes and Cycles.
6. Thermodynamic Models of Real, Pure Compounds.
7. Equations of State (EOS).
8. Modeling Phase Equilibrium for Pure Compounds.
9. An Introduction to Mixtures.
10. Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium.
11. Theories and Models for Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium of Mixtures: Modified Raoult's Law Approaches.
12. Theories and Models for Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium of Mixtures: Using Equations of State.
13. Liquid-Liquid, Vapor-Liquid-Liquid, and Solid-Liquid Equilibrium.
14. Fundamentals of Chemical Reaction Equilibrium.
15. Synthesis of Thermodynamic Principles.
Appendix A: Steam Tables.
Appendix B: Mathematical Techniques.
Appendix C: Physical Properties.
Appendix D: Heat Capacity.
Appendix E: Antoine Equation.
Appendix F: The Joback Group Additivity Method.
"I appreciate the contemporary content, especially examples that illustrate the importance of energy loss, energy utilization. Although not related to energy in particular, I like example 9.1. It draws on intuition, uses some thermodynamics to prove that volume additivity may not be what is expected. This allows students to have a complete understanding of the topic through mathematical proof and illustration."
"I believe the text does a good job of helping the student learn to apply thermodynamics. When working through an example they do not just show the quick solution but walk the reader through the thought process needed to solve the problem. They at times, pause to introduce (remind) the reader of some mathematical principle that will aid in the solution instead of just assuming the reader already knows it. The also use marginal notes to ask conceptual questions and thoughts of the consequences of using some other route."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Solutions Manual, SI Version
Instructor's Solution's Manual for SI FUNDAMENTALS OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING.