Request for consultation
The fifth edition of FUNDAMENTALS OF ALGEBRAIC MODELING strives to show the student connections between math and their daily lives. Algebraic modeling concepts and solutions are presented in non-threatening, easy-to-understand language with numerous step-by-step examples to illustrate ideas. Whether they are going on to study early childhood education, graphic arts, automotive technologies, criminal justice, or something else, students will discover that the practical applications of mathematical modeling will continue to be useful well after they have finished this course.
- Many problem sets have had extensive revisions with expanded problem sets and additional lab activities have been included in many of the chapters.
- The section on nonlinear functions has been expanded and divided into two sections.
- Chapter 4 on consumer finance focuses on models in the business world and now includes insurance options and rate, purchasing versus leasing a car, and stocks, mutual funds, and bonds.
- Chapter 5 is a completely new chapter that was added to illustrate some additional topics related to modeling. The geometry sections are in this chapter as well as sections on modeling and patters in architecture and in music.
- Laboratory Exercises at the end of each chapter get students involved in guided hands-on activities. Some are designed to be completed as individual assignments and others require group work.
- Calculator Mini-Lessons encourage students to become more familiar with the functions of their calculators.
- Each section ends with an extensive problem set allowing students to practice what they have learned. Each chapter has review problems and a chapter test with answers provided in the back of the book.
- The Chapter Summary includes all important terms, equations and concepts in one page.
Mathematical Models. Real Numbers and Mathematical Equations. Solving Linear Equations. Formulas. Ratio and Proportion. Percents. Word Problem Strategies.
Rectangular Coordinate System. Graphing Linear Equations. Slope. Writing Equations of Lines. Applications and Uses of Graphs.
Functions. Using Function Notation. Linear Functions as Models.Direct and Inverse Variation. Quadratic Functions and Power Functions as Models. Exponential Functions as Models.
4. MATHEMATICAL MODELS IN CONSUMER MATH.
Mathematical Models in the Business World. Mathematical Models in Banking. Mathematical Models in Consumer Credit. Mathematical Models in Purchasing an Automobile. Mathematical Models in Purchasing a Home. Mathematical Models in Insurance Options and Rates. Mathematical Models in Stocks, Mutual Funds, and Bonds. Mathematical Models in Personal Income
5. ADDITIONAL APPLICATIONS OF ALGEBRAIC MODELING.
Models and Patterns in Plane Geometry. Models and Patterns in Right Triangles. Models and Patterns in Art and Architecture: Perspective and Symmetry. Models and Patterns in Art, Architecture, and Nature: Scale and Proportion. Models and Patterns in Music.
6. MODELING WITH SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS.
Solving Systems by Graphing. Solving Systems Algebraically Applications of Linear Systems. Systems of Nonlinear Functions.
7. MODELING WITH STATISTICS.
Sets and Set Theory. What is Probability. Theoretical Probability and Odds. Tree Diagrams. Or and And Problems. The Counting Principle, Permutations and Combinations
8. MODELING WITH STATISTICS.
Introduction to Statistics. Descriptive Statistics. Organizing and Displaying Data. Variation. Normal Curve. Scatter Diagrams and Linear Regression.
Commonly Used Calculator Keys.
Formulas Used in This Text.
Levels of Data in Statistics.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructors Resource Manual
Fundamentals of Algebraic Modeling, 6th: PowerLecture CD-ROM with ExamView Test Generator
Student Solutions Manual
Student Solutions Manual
Prepare for exams and succeed in your mathematics course with this comprehensive solutions manual! Featuring worked out-solutions to the problems in FUNDAMENTALS OF ALGEBRAIC MODELING, 6th Edition, this manual shows you how to approach and solve problems using the same step-by-step explanations found in your textbook examples.