Request for consultation
FUNDAMENTAL STATISTICS FOR THE BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES focuses on providing the context of statistics in behavioral research, while emphasizing the importance of looking at data before jumping into a test. This practical approach provides students with an understanding of the logic behind the statistics, so they understand why and how certain methods are used -- rather than simply carry out techniques by rote. Students move beyond number crunching to discover the meaning of statistical results and appreciate how the statistical test to be employed relates to the research questions posed by an experiment. Written in an informal style, the text includes an abundance of real data and research studies that provide a real-life perspective and help students learn and understand concepts. In alignment with current trends in statistics in the behavioral sciences, the text emphasizes effect sizes and meta-analysis, and integrates frequent demonstrations of computer analyses through SPSS and R.
- The emphasis on effect sizes and meta-analysis is in line with current trends in statistics in the behavioral sciences.
- The frequent demonstration of computer analyses through SPSS and R moves students toward procedures that are becoming critical in a field where hand calculation is no longer a reasonable approach. While the use of computer analyses amplifies the content, students can effectively work with this book even if they avoid all computer-based material.
- Graphical displays clarify the presentation.
- Simple resampling (simulation) studies are used to put various kinds of analyses in a different perspective and to illustrate the underlying nature of how hypotheses are tested.
- Complete answers are available for odd numbered exercises, and answers for all exercises are available to the instructor.
- Hundreds of exercises, most of which are based on data from published research, promote student interest and provide the context of statistics in behavioral research.
- Recent editions emphasize the importance of measures of effect size and, while covering statistical hypothesis tests in detail, downplay the idea that the goal of a statistical analysis is simply to reject, or not reject, some null hypothesis. This approach is very much in line with current discussions of hypothesis testing. The discussion of meta-analysis emphasizes the importance of seeing one experiment in the context of others.
- Each chapter begins with a listing of terms to be used in the chapter that were introduced earlier. The author includes terms that students have the hardest time understanding, and which consequently warrant repeating. Especially in the early chapters, terms are redefined not only when first introduced, but also when used a second, third, or even a fourth time.
- The book's clear writing, clear definition of terms, and use of worked out examples help students understand some of the more difficult concepts in statistics.
- The text is full of applications, with real data used in all examples. This places a real life perspective on the material and allows for deeper student understanding. The applications are listed on the inside front covers.
- Based on the author's belief that formulas are most helpful in helping students learn concepts, rather than for computation, formulas used in the book are definitional rather than for purposes of calculation.
2. Basic Concepts.
3. Displaying Data.
4. Measures of Central Tendency.
5. Measures of Variability.
6. The Normal Distribution.
7. Basic Concepts of Probability.
8. Sampling Distributions and Hypothesis Testing.
11. Multiple Regression.
12. Hypothesis Tests Applied to Means: One Sample.
13. Hypothesis Tests Applied to Means: Two Related Samples.
14. Hypothesis Tests Applied to Means: Two Independent Samples.
16. One-Way Analysis of Variance.
17. Factorial Analysis of Variance.
18. Repeated-Measures Analysis of Variance.
20. Nonparametric and Resampling Statistical Tests.
Appendix A: Arithmetic Review.
Appendix B: Symbols and Notation.
Appendix C: Basic Statistical Formulae.
Appendix D: Data Set.
Appendix E: Statistical Tables.
Answers to Exercises.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as teaching suggestions, solutions, blooper explanations, midterm review, final exam review, chapter test banks, unit tests, chapter quizzes, and many other classroom support materials.