Request for consultation
FUNCTIONS AND CHANGE: A MODELING APPROACH TO COLLEGE ALGEBRA, 4E provides an alternative to a traditional college algebra course for students who either will not take another math course or may go on to a business calculus course. The authors wrote this text for the many college algebra students who are poorly served by books that focus on preparing them for a course they will never take, traditional calculus.
- An informal approach offers clear explanations that leave out unnecessary technicalities so that students who are not comfortable with algebra will easily understand the concepts.
- Graphing calculator technology is integrated throughout the text as a descriptive and problem-solving tool, and to help students understand abstract concepts.
- Functions are introduced by the "Rule of Four"—graphically, numerically, symbolically, and verbally.
- Diverse Modeling/Real-Life Applications and Data reveal mathematics as an integral part of nature, science, and society. This real-world context allows students to check their answers against their own intuition and common sense while also making the topic more relevant and interesting to students.
- Chapter Review Exercises help students build their skills to remember key concepts from the chapter.
P. Prologue: Calculator Arithmetic.
Functions Given by Formulas. Functions Given by Tables. Functions Given by Graphs. Functions Given by Words.
2. GRAPHICAL AND TABULAR ANALYSIS.
Tables and Trends. Graphs. Solving Linear Equations. Solving Nonlinear Equations. Optimization.
3. STRAIGHT LINES AND LINEAR FUNCTIONS.
The Geometry of Lines. Linear Functions. Modeling Data with Linear Functions. Linear Regression. Systems of Equations.
4. EXPONENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Growth and Decay. Modeling Exponential Data. Modeling Nearly Exponential Data. Logarithmic Functions. Connecting Exponential and Linear Data.
5. A SURVEY OF OTHER COMMON FUNCTIONS.
Power Functions. Modeling Data with Power Functions. Combining and Decomposing Functions. Quadratic Functions and Parabolas. Higher-Degree Polynomials and Rational Functions.
6. RATES OF CHANGE.
Velocity. Rates of Change for Other Functions. Estimating Rates of Change. Equations of Change: Linear and Exponential Functions. Equations of Change: Graphical Solutions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
These conceptual projects are provided on Excel spreadsheets with built-in formulas that provide understanding of real-life, applied problems. Almost every section in the book has a corresponding project, and they are great for in-class use. These are accessible via the instructor companion site.
Complete Solutions Manual
Contains all worked-out solutions to the exercises and chapter tests. This is accessible via the instructor companion site.
Online Instructor's Manual
The Online Instructor's Manual contains valuable teaching tools for both new and experienced instructors. Written by the authors, the Instructor’s Guide includes teaching tips for each section of the text as well as sample syllabi that reflect the authors’ experience using the text. The guide is accessible via the instructor companion site.
Online Test Bank
Provides multiple test forms per chapter as well as final exams. The tests combine multiple-choice, free-response, and fill-in-the-blank questions for your convenience. The Test Bank is accessible via the instructor companion site.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
This instant access code provides you with access to Cengage Learning Testing (CLT). CLT is a flexible online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. This is available online via www.cengage.com/login.
Student Solutions Manual
Written by the authors, the Student Solutions Manual contains complete and carefully written solutions to every odd-numbered exercise in the text, in the same style and format as the worked examples of the text. In particular, the solutions give additional instruction to allow students to find success doing similar even-numbered exercises.
Student Solutions Manual
The Student Solutions Manual contains complete and carefully written solutions to every odd-numbered exercise in the text, in the same style and format as the worked examples of the text. In particular, the solutions give additional instruction to help ensure your success when doing similar even-numbered exercises.