Request for consultation
FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT AND PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT FOR PROBLEM BEHAVIOR: A PRACTICAL HANDBOOK, Third Edition, guides readers through the procedures of conducting a functional assessment, including a variety of strategies for assessing problem behavior situations. The book also presents a systematic approach for designing behavioral support programs based on those assessments. Professionals and students alike appreciate the step-by-step guidance as well as the wealth of examples and forms that equip users to begin conducting functional assessments and developing their own intervention programs.
- A new Chapter 3, “Linking the Function of the Behavior to the Intervention,” provides the “how-to” of functional assessment-helping students bridge the gap between theory and practice.
- Chapter 4, “Writing Behavior Support Plans,” has been expanded to provide more examples and clarity on how to write an appropriate plan.
- Thoroughly updated research and references reflect the most current information, studies, and applications of functional assessment.
- A new case study feature enhances the practical, real-world approach of the text, and includes questions and activities that can be used for assignments.
- The Third Edition includes increased coverage of working with culturally and linguistically diverse students as well as an increased number of examples and cases that illustrate working in inclusive and general education environments.
- A new ethical dilemmas feature highlights common ethical issues likely to be faced in the classroom.
- A “TeachSource Video” feature has been added to most chapters, introducing videos that show text content in action and help students connect what they read about to real life in the classroom. Critical-thinking questions provide opportunities for in-class or online discussion and reflection. Videos are viewable at Education CourseMate, the book's website.
- A “Digital Download” icon throughout each chapter identifies the text's many helpful forms, checklists, and other resources that are available for students to download and use.
- New support for instructors includes a new Instructors Manual, Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides, and a Test Bank.
- Readers gain an understanding of the link between gathering assessment information and developing comprehensive support programs.
- Many handy forms provide examples of assessment strategies that are useful in a variety of community, residential, vocational, and educational settings. For instance, a Functional Assessment Observation Form helps guide the assessment process, using a data-collection approach that provides information about the behaviors that have occurred, the situations and persons involved, how persons responded to the behaviors, and more. Examples show the assessment form filled out based on cases in the book. Copies of blank forms are provided in the text and on the website.
- Interview formats are provided for gathering information from relevant persons about the behaviors of concern, the things that predict when and where the behaviors do and do not happen, the consequences or outcomes that may be maintaining their occurrence, and more. There's also a form that can be used for collecting interview information directly from students and clients.
- The book presents a format for summarizing assessment information and choosing programming strategies based on that information. It also offers an outline format for identifying the full range of strategies that should be considered for inclusion in an intervention program.
- A section of the handbook provides a description of the variety of approaches that are currently being used for manipulating environmental situations and assessing their influence on behaviors. Strategies and guidelines for safely and appropriately conducting such manipulations are presented, along with a variety of examples.
2. Functional Assessment and Analysis Strategies.
3. Linking the Function of the Behavior to the Intervention.
4. Building Behavior Support Plans.
5. Writing Behavior Support Plans.
A. List of References and Resources Relevant to Functional Assessment.
B. Functional Assessment Interview (FAI) Form.
C. Student-Directed Functional Assessment Interview Form.
D. Blank Functional Assessment Observation Form.
E. Functional Assessment Observation Form for Yolanda.
F. Summary Statements for Observation Form Examples.
G. Blank Competing Behavior Model Form.
“[This is] probably the best and most user-friendly description of FBAs on the market. The observation form is the one my students prefer to use in applied settings. This text provides a comprehensive description and training on the use of the observation form.” - Ronald Martella, Eastern Washington University
“This is a valuable resource. It takes a complex process and clearly lays out the rationale for doing functional assessment and guidelines to accomplish it in a doable manner. It is something students will use in their daily practice.” - Susan Copeland, University of New Mexico
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
Online Instructor's Manual and Test Bank for FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT AND PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT FOR PROBLEM BEHAVIOR: A PRACTICAL HANDBOOK, 3rd Edition INSTRUCTOR DESCRIPTION: An online Instructor's Manual accompanies this book. It contains information to assist the instructor in designing the course, including sample syllabi, discussion questions, teaching and learning activities, field experiences, learning objectives, and additional online resources. For assessment support, the updated test bank includes true/false, multiple-choice, matching, short-answer, and essay questions for each chapter.
Online PowerPoint® Slides
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Education CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated eBook, quizzes, flashcards, videos, Digital Downloads of forms in the book, and more. It also includes Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course. The accompanying instructor website offers access to password-protected resources such as an electronic version of the instructor's manual and Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's new Education CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Access the new integrated eBook, Digital Downloads of forms in the book, TeachSource Video Cases, flashcards, and more in your Education CourseMate. Go to CengageBrain.com.