Request for consultation
The field of respiratory care continues to change and grow. New research, therapies, and theories are continually emerging. FOUNDATIONS OF RESPIRATORY CARE, SECOND EDITION is written by leading authorities who have hands on, practical knowledge of the latest innovations and applications for care. Chapters cover timely topics such as the increasing population of elderly patients and the need for managing mass casualty incidents and disasters. Difficult topic areas such as interpretation of ventilator graphics, pharmacology, and hemodynamics are presented in a manner that allows for ease of comprehension and application of the concepts. The education of respiratory therapists is moving toward a problem-based learning model. FOUNDATIONS OF RESPIRATORY CARE, SECOND EDITION captures that model through the integration of case studies throughout the reading to reinforce and fine tune problem solving and decision-making skills. The most current AARC clinical practice guidelines are referenced throughout to once again help bridge that gap between classroom and real world application of concepts.
- NEW MATERIAL: New material on mechanical ventilation and ventilatory modes, including importance of ventilatory waveforms.
- EQUIPMENT UPDATE: Thorough update on new equipment and procedures relating to oxygen and aerosol delivery both in the acute care setting and home environment.
- EXPANDED CHAPTERS: Expanded chapter on sleep related breathing disorders focusing on diagnostic testing, modes of treatment, and patient compliance involving positive airway pressure therapy.
- BEST PRACTICES: Best Practices point out the best method or technique for performing a particular procedure.
- SPOTLIGHTS: Spotlights identify new equipment or procedures relevant to the subject.
- AGE SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES: Age Specific Competencies discuss the variations in care delivery based upon the age of the patient.
- CASE STUDIES: Case studies illustrate concepts or applications of respiratory care.
1. The History and Scope of Respiratory Care.
2. The Legal and Ethical Practice of Respiratory Care.
Part II: THE APPLIED SCIENCES.
3. Applied Physics.
4. Applied Chemistry.
5. Applied Microbiology.
6. Cardiopulmonary Anatomy and Physiology.
8. Obstructive Lung Diseases.
9. Restrictive Lung Diseases.
10. Diffuse Lung Diseases.
11. Cardiovascular Diseases.
Part III: ESSENTIAL DIAGNOSTICS.
12. Hx, Assessment & Documentation.
13. Radiologic Examination of the Chest.
14. Fundamental Clinical Laboratory Studies.
15. Arterial Blood Gas Analysis and Non-Invasive Measurements of O2 and CO2.
16. Pulmonary Function Testing.
17. Sleep Medicine: Dx and Tests.
18. Cardiovascular Testing and Hemodynamic Measurements.
Part IV: ESSENTIAL THERAPEUTICS.
19. Oxygen and Medical Gas Therapy.
20. Humidity and Aerosol Therapy.
21. Hyperinflation Therapy.
22. Pulmonary Hygiene and CPT.
23. Airway Management.
24. Physiology of Mechanical Ventilation.
25. Mechanics & Modes of Mechanical Ventilation.
26. Initiating, Monitoring & D/C Mech. Ventilation.
27. Noninvasive Mechanical Ventilation.
Part V: LEVELS OF DELIVERY.
28. Neonatal and Pediatric Applications.
29. Geriatric Applications.
30. Emergency Medicine & Rapid Response.
31. Emergency Preparedness.
32. Adult Critical Care.
33. Subacute Care.
34. Long-Term Care.
35. Home Care.
36. Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation.
37. Patient Transport in Respiratory Care.
Part VI: RESPIRATORY CARE: ASSORTED APPLICATIONS.
38. Protecting the Patient and Health Care Provider.
39. Health Promotion.
40. Education: Patient, Professional & Community Management and Computer
41. Applications in Respiratory Care.
42. Management of Respiratory Care Services.
43. Non-Traditional Roles of the RT.
Appendix A: Abbreviations.
Appendix B: Routes for Entry-Level and Registry-Level Practice.
Appendix C: Selected Diagnostic Studies.
Appendix D: ABGs: Normal Values.
Appendix E: Characteristics of Adventitious Breath Sounds.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Resource for Wyka/Mathews/Rutkowski's Foundations of Respiratory Care
A robust instructor package to aid in presentation and evaluation of course materials. The Instructor Resource includes: instructor's guide, computerized testbank, an image library, instructor presentations in power point, and syllabus.The testbank is a flexible solution for creating, administering, and grading exams, study guides, and quizzes. The testbank is driven by ExamView Pro, a fully integrated suite of test creation, delivery, and reporting tools that enables educators to help learners enhance their performance. ExamView Pro consists of a test builder, question bank editor containing over 1,000 questions, and the test player. The image library contains over 500 images and allows educators to search illustrations by keyword then view and utilize them in a variety of multimedia formats, such as Microsoft PowerPoint, to enhance classroom discussions.
Premium Web Site Instant Access Code
The Premium Website includes the student Studyware. The Studyware consists of Interactive games to help master the terms in the book.
Premium Web Site Instant Access Code