Request for consultation
Clear, concise, and easy to understand, this updated Sixth Edition of FOUNDATIONS OF LAW: CASES, COMMENTARY, AND ETHICS provides a comprehensive overview of American law and its legal system to help students build the foundation necessary for success in advanced courses of study. Over 70 excerpted judicial opinions illustrate basic themes, while instructive case studies challenge students to apply concepts to difficult scenarios. To help students master key concepts, the Sixth Edition includes new chapter-opening learning objectives, as well as chapter review questions, critical thinking questions, and cyber exercises.
- New chapter-opening learning objectives provide an overview of the information students must master in the chapter.
- Key information, including licensing of paralegals, has been updated to reflect the latest developments in the field.
- An updated chapter on Family Law provides current information on this fast-moving area of law.
- All important areas of American law and its legal system, including ethics, are covered in a manner that doesn’t overwhelm students.
- “You Be the Judge” features engage students and ask them to apply the concepts they are learning to a realistic case. These features can assigned or used to generate class discussion.
- Chapter-ending review questions assess student understanding of key terms and concepts.
- Critical thinking questions in every chapter are ideal for stimulating open-ended class discussions.
- Excerpted cases that contain concurring and dissenting opinions are followed by questions that require students to think critically about the reasoning behind the opinions.
- Cyber exercises give students an opportunity to research law and law-related resources.
3. Sources of the Law: Cases.
4. Sources of the Law: Legislation.
5. Trial and Appellate Courts.
6. State and Federal Courts.
7. Procedure in Civil Cases.
8. The Law of Criminal Procedure.
9. Criminal Law.
10. Torts, Personal Injury, and Compensation.
11. Contracts and Commercial Law.
12. The Law of Property.
13. Family Law.
14. Administrative Law and Procedure.
Appendix A: How to Read and Brief a Case.
Appendix B: The Constitution of the United States of America.
“I really like the Exhibits provided throughout the text. I think they tie in well with the subject being discussed, and they also highlight practical issues; this helps provide students with opportunities for critical thinking, and for practical application of what they are studying. I love the Critical Thinking Questions and would use those in my class as written assignments. I like that questions about the cases are provided, at least as starting points for discussion. I thought the Scenarios were a great feature, and I have not seen anything similar in any texts I’ve used. I often create similar practical examples for my students; having the examples already provided would cut down significantly on my preparation time. I think these Scenarios would also be really good for in-class group projects/discussions.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Web Site
The Instructor Companion Website includes an Instructor’s Manual with chapter overviews, answers to the text questions, test banks, and customizable PowerPoint® presentations.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.