Request for consultation
Join the authors who have an extensive record of teaching success in today's Introduction to Business course with the fifth edition of the best-selling FOUNDATIONS OF BUSINESS. This up-to-date, comprehensive survey of business addresses forms of business ownership, management and organization, human resources management, marketing, social media and e-business, information systems, accounting, and finance. Core topics emphasize ethics and social responsibility, small business and entrepreneurship, and global issues, while new coverage examines cutting-edge topics, such as the impact of social media on business, the economic recovery and remaining economic problems, international business, green and socially responsible business, and sustainability. In addition to revitalized content, this edition provides more accessible, effective, and student-friendly support, such as MindTap® online personalized learning experience now with decision-making exercises.
- ALL-NEW INSIDE BUSINESS CHAPTER OPENING CASES IMMEDIATELY ENGAGE STUDENTS. These intriguing Inside Business Cases at the beginning of each chapter highlight how successful companies conduct business on a day-to-day basis.
- ALL-NEW BOX FEATURES EMPHASIZE KEYS TO ETHICS AND BUSINESS SUCCESS. These important boxes in each chapter emphasize how both today's employees and entrepreneurs can be ethical and successful in the business world today.
- NEW AND REVISED EXAMPLES, FIGURES, AND TABLES CLEARLY ILLUSTRATE KEY TOPICS. Each chapter integrates helpful examples and visuals that demonstrate applications or showcase important concepts.
- NEW AND EXPANDED ONLINE LEARNING ACTIVITIES IN MINDTAP® NOW HIGHLIGHT DECISION-MAKING. MindTap's personalized teaching experience has expanded assignments to include meaningful decision-making exercises that require students to apply content in every chapter to real-world situations. Students learn to analyze, apply, and improve thinking while you measure skills and outcomes with ease.
- FIVE ONLINE APPENDIXES PROVIDE MORE DETAIL ON KEY TOPICS. Appendixes provide in-depth exploration into "Understanding Personal Finances and Investments"; "Careers in Business"; "Enhancing Union-Management Relations"; "Risk Management and Insurance"; and "Business Law, Regulation, and Taxation."
- COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTOR'S SUPPORT INCLUDES HELPFUL TEACHING TOOLS AND PROVEN TEST BANK. The Instructor's Resource Manual features easy-to-navigate layouts and ready-to-duplicate classroom activities for each chapter. The companion instructor site includes the complete IRM, chapter IRMs, Test Bank, and two PowerPoint® slide decks focused on student engagement and lectures. Primarily written and class-tested by the text's authors, the Test Bank contains more than 5,000 items, tagged by learning objectives, level of difficulty, business program (AACSB) outcomes and Bloom's taxonomy level.
- MINDTAP® INCLUDE A WEALTH OF LEARNING RESOURCES TO HELP STUDENTS UNDERSTAND AND RETAIN CONCEPTS. Students can explore video materials, flashcards, interactive quizzes, PowerPoint® slides, and applied learning activities. Decision-making exercises in the MindTap™ help elevate student thinking.
- THE THEME OF SUCCESS IS HIGHLIGHTED THROUGHOUT THE BOOK WITH AN EMPHASIS ON BEST PRACTICES. This edition continues to prepare students for career success as they gain important insights into today's best practices for attaining their individual business and career goals. For example, all Career Success, Ethical Success or Failure, and Entrepreneurial Success features are new and are tied to important concepts in each chapter.
- "WHY YOU SHOULD CARE" FEATURES EMPHASIZE THE RELEVANCE OF BUSINESS IN STUDENTS' LIVES. These "Why Should You Care" features begin each chapter to draw students into the material that follows. In addition, Personal App features in every chapter provide hands-on opportunities for students to apply important chapter content to their lives now and in the future.
- END-OF-CHAPTER VIDEO CASES HIGHLIGHT AN ACTUAL ORGANIZATION SUCCESSFULLY APPLYING THE CHAPTER'S CONCEPTS. Included in each chapter, these Video Cases focus on a successful, real-world company that applies selected chapter content to a real-world situation. Accompanying student questions encourage students to closely examine the keys to success.
- REVISED ONGOING VIDEO CASE FEATURES GRAETER'S, A SPECIALTY ICE CREAM RETAILER. This intriguing ongoing Video Case at the end of each part offers a unique, firsthand look into one business's day-to-day operations. Students gain a better understanding of the real challenges that today's business owners face. Students also can apply what they learn by analyzing problems, solutions, and actions taken at the company.
- BUILDING A BUSINESS PLAN PROJECT WALKS STUDENTS THROUGH PREPARING A REAL BUSINESS PLAN. This invaluable project at the end of each part guides students step-by-step through the process of creating an effective business plan.
1. Exploring the World of Business and Economics.
2. Being Ethical and Socially Responsible.
3. Exploring Global Business.
Part II: BUSINESS OWNERSHIP AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP.
4. Choosing a Form of Business Ownership.
5. Small Business, Entrepreneurship, and Franchises.
Part III: MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATION.
6. Understanding the Management Process.
7. Creating a Flexible Organization.
8. Producing Quality Goods and Services.
Part IV: HUMAN RESOURCES.
9. Attracting and Retaining the Best Employees.
10. Motivating and Satisfying Employees and Teams.
Part V: MARKETING.
11. Building Customer Relationships Through Effective Marketing.
12. Creating and Pricing Products That Satisfy Customers.
13. Distributing and Promoting Products.
Part VI: INFORMATION FOR BUSINESS STRATEGY AND DECISION MAKING.
14. Understanding Social Media and e-Business.
15. Using Management Information Systems and Accounting Information.
16. Mastering Financial Management.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource DVD
For your convenient reference and use, all of the videos for this edition's end-of-chapter and end-of-part cases are included in this DVD.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Pride/Hughes/Kapoor's Foundations of Business
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.