Request for consultation
With today's popular television programs about criminal justice and crime scene investigation and the surge of detective movies and books, students often have a passion for exploring forensic science. Now you can guide that excitement into a profitable learning experience with the help of the innovative, new FORENSIC SCIENCE: FUNDAMENTALS AND INVESTIGATIONS, 2E. This dynamic, visually powerful text has been carefully crafted to ensure solid scientific content and an approach that delivers precisely what you need for your high school course. Now an established best-seller, FORENSIC SCIENCE: FUNDAMENTALS AND INVESTIGATIONS, 2E offers a truly experiential approach that engages students in active learning and emphasizes the application of integrated science in your course. Student materials combine math, chemistry, biology, physics, and earth science with content aligned to the National Science Education Standards, clearly identified by icons. This book balances extensive scientific concepts with hands-on classroom and lab activities, readings, intriguing case studies, and chapter-opening scenarios. The book's exclusive Gale Forensic Science eCollection™ database provides instant access to hundreds of journals and Internet resources that spark the interest of today's high school students. The new edition includes one new chapter on entomology and new capstone projects that integrate the concepts learned throughout the text. Comprehensive, time-saving teacher support and lab activities deliver exactly what you need to ensure that students receive a solid, integrated science education that keeps readers at all learning levels enthused about science. FORENSIC SCIENCE: FUNDAMENTALS AND INVESTIGATIONS, 2E sets the standard in high school forensic science . . . case closed.
- What's NEW!-- New coverage for various topics such as a new chapter (11) on entomology; scientific changes in DNA technologies (7); more coverage of autopsy (12); more coverage in crime scene investigation; Pollen chapter is now Forensic Botany (5).
- Aligned to National Standards--This text combines topics from math, chemistry, biology, physics, literacy, and earth science into a single course with all materials correlated to the NGSS, and CCSS. The topics are identified by distinctive icons in the chapter opener as well as throughout the text.
- Updated end-of-chapter lab activities gives students the hands-on experience needed to fully understand and truly integrate their knowledge of science and related subjects.
- Updated Capstone Projects give students the opportunity to apply key topics learned throughout the year, as well as extend the learning process with the opportunity to synthesize this knowledge and new content.
- Forensic Science MindTapTM and Virtual Labs--Give your students real-world lab experience within an online environment with MindTap! MindTap is a fully online, highly personalized learning experience that combines readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments into a singular Learning Path. Each Virtual Lab activity includes: background information, 3-D crime scene, clear instructions, Toolkit, post-lab assessment, critical-thinking questions, and research activities.
- New features include Apps, which lists popular apps related to forensic science and literacy references for CCSS readings in science.
- New Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: Author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your learning management system, your classroom or wherever you want!
- Chapter-opening scenarios highlight some of the latest developments and intriguing news shaping popular forensic science today. These exciting stories, taken directly from gripping headlines, draw students into the chapter information that follows. Scenarios feature well-known cases, such as Jonbenet Ramsey, O.J. Simpson, Cory Monteith, the Washington D.C. sniper killings, and more.
- National Science Education topics integrated throughout each chapter focus on biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences, psychology, and mathematics. Icons clearly identify these cross-curricular strengths.
- The Gale Forensic Science eCollection™ allows you and your students to investigate the mysteries of forensic science in-depth with online access to hundreds of articles--from highly specialized academic journals to general science-focused magazines. This one-of-a-kind resource will keep you and your student's current with the latest scientific developments in this growing field. No other publisher offers such a complete, exclusive resource.
- Careers in Forensic Science focuses on the hottest careers related to forensic science today, detailing job requirements, necessary preparation, challenges, and compensation.
- Case Studies bring closure to the principles discussed within the chapter using intriguing cases and challenges drawn from actual forensic investigations. Questions prompt discussion and further students' critical-thinking skills.
- Clear Learning Objectives guide student study and help them focus on the key topics within each chapter. Chapter content and assessment materials are tagged to specific learning objectives to provide students with a strong framework for mastering key concepts.
- Scientific Terms and Vocabulary, highlighted in each chapter, introduce key terms, ensuring students are able to understand their meaning.
- End of Chapter Review Questions, including true-false, multiple choice, and short answer, highlight cross-curricular connections and ensure students thoroughly comprehend principles before moving ahead.
- Historical Developments highlight how forensic science has impacted events throughout history. Students examine how today's investigative approaches have evolved as the nature of scientific methods and tools have dramatically advanced.
- Did You Know? builds on chapter content by highlighting related current events, scientific tips, even little known facts students will remember.
- The Forensic Science companion website offers a wealth of learning and teaching resources including Web links, glossary terms, flashcards, crossword puzzles, lab forms, lesson plans, PowerPoint® presentation slides, and much more.
- A dynamic, engaging design and a clear presentation showcase the exciting world of forensic science with captivating images, glimpses into actual crime and lab scenes, intriguing facts, and actual case studies.
- A variety of high-interest lab activities (three to five per chapter) save you time while giving students the hands-on experience needed to understand and integrate their knowledge of science and related subjects. Hands-on lab activities outline the objectives, time required, materials, safety precautions, scenarios, background information, detailed procedures and data tables, follow-up questions, and research opportunities. Affordable lab activity materials allow for labs to be completed with minimal investment.
2. Crime Scene Investigation & Evidence Examination.
3. The Study of Hair.
4. A Study of Fibers and Fabrics.
5. Forensic Botany.
7. DNA Profiling.
8. Blood & Blood Spatter.
9. Forensic Toxicology.
10. Handwriting Analysis, Forgery, and Counterfeiting.
11. Forensic Entomology
12. Death: Meaning, Manner, Mechanism, Cause and Time.
13. Soil Examination.
14. Forensic Anthropology.
15. Glass Evidence.
16. Casts and Impressions.
17. Tool Marks.
Project 1 Personal Evidence Portfolio.
Project 2 Mock Crime Scene Development and Processing.
Project 3 Analysis of a Forensic Science TV Show Diving.
Project 4 Forensic Dumpster Diving.
Project 5 Physical Evidence Case Studies.
Project 6 Forensic Science Career Exploration.
Project 7 Landmark Cases.
Project 8 How reliable is the Evidence.
Project 9 (new) Forensic Grave site Dig.
Bone Measurements Table.
Celsius-Fahrenheit Conversion Table.
"Bertino's Forensic Science textbook encourages students to solve scientific problems, use mathematics appropriately, engage in scientific questioning, plan and implement appropriate data collection strategies and perform data analysis. Student will develop the abilities to think critically, creatively, and analytically through interesting, real world case studies. The content and laboratory activities resonate with my students as we dive into investigations together. The "aha" moments are countless!"
"This is the only Forensics textbook I have encountered that is targeted specifically for high school students. Of all the textbooks in my classroom this is the one we actually use most. The lab activities are very engaging and the text is well researched and highly readable."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: Author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your learning management system, your classroom or wherever you want!