Request for consultation
With increased attention to diversity, mindfulness, resilience, grit, financial literacy, technology and productivity, college-related "life hacks," alternative presentation e-tools, and the newest strategies in career planning, the third edition of FOCUS ON COLLEGE AND CAREER SUCCESS recognizes the varied experiences of today's students. Thoroughly researched, the text covers the topics most important to student success and incorporates the underlying themes of professionalism, motivation, and self-discipline. Rather than talking down to students or speaking over their heads, FOCUS ON COLLEGE AND CAREER SUCCESS initiates a personal and informal conversation with readers, directly connecting them with and drawing them into text discussions. Written by Steve and Constance Staley, two of the best-known names in the field of first-year student motivation, this text increases the credibility of the college success course by providing tools that help students succeed, thereby improving institutional retention rates. In a survey of students using FOCUS, 97% recommended that their professors use this book again with next year's first-year students. Many students today are distracted, over-optionalized, and over-obligated. FOCUS ON COLLEGE AND CAREER SUCCESS addresses these issues head-on, creating teachable moments -- and concrete results -- in every face-to-face or online learning experience.
- Up-to-date technology. The authors' engagement in the latest technologies comes through in their message to students.
- Life Hacks. Life hacks are brief pointers, often technology-based, to save readers time and help them increase productivity. These short tips are placed in the margins for quick discovery.
- Emphasis on Developing Soft Skills. Employers are increasingly concerned that some students are graduating from college without having learned important "soft skills" such as teamwork, leadership, professionalism, and vital communication abilities such as writing and presentation skills. This area is addressed powerfully and effectively with a chapter-by-chapter feature entitled "Soft Skills Are hard."
- Revised Reality Checks. FOCUS prompts students to discover personal meaning in what they're learning by completing "Readiness Checks" at the beginning of chapters and revised "Reality Checks" at the end.
- Increased content on three areas: financial literacy, alternative e-tools for presentations, and career planning.
- This edition also provides students with the career skills that are essential to obtaining a job, such as interviewing, resume writing, and creating a job plan. The text also helps students narrow their major to align with their interests.
- FOCUS ON COLLEGE AND CAREER SUCCESS explores the unique issues that career and technical college students face both inside and outside of the classroom, including juggling family, school, and work, and living/studying at home.
- The "Challenge Case" highlights a student experiencing real-world challenges and opportunities, giving students the opportunity to relate to the chapter topics.
- The "ONLINE TechKnow" feature highlights important skills that students should be aware of in a completely online or hybrid course. Special circumstances of the online learning environment are discussed in an easy-to-read, bulleted format, applying chapter-level skills to the online learning environment (e.g., navigating an online discussion board, creating meaningful relationships with instructors and peers, and online test-taking tips).
- The "Sharpen Your Focus" feature examines the most common reasons why college students lose focus. A short exercise in each chapter provides a solution for students to use in the real world to avoid those focus pitfalls.
- The text provides thorough coverage in all areas of study skills, with chapters covering time and money management, listening, note-taking, reading, studying, and test taking.
2. Building Dreams, Setting Goals.
3. Learning Styles and Studying.
4. Managing Your Time, Energy, and Money.
5. Thinking Critically and Creatively.
6. Learning Online.
7. Engaging, Listening, and Note-Taking in Class.
8. Reading, Writing, and Presenting.
9. Developing Memory, Taking Tests.
10. Building Relationships, Valuing Diversity.
11. Choosing a College Major and Career.
12. Creating Your Future.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.