Request for consultation
Cengage Learning Activity Series From aerobics and yoga — to bowling, tennis, weight training, and more — Cengage Learning offers a complete line of activities texts to meet your teaching needs. Written for individuals of all skill levels and backgrounds, the Cengage Learning Activity Series goes beyond the mere fundamentals, showing students how to improve, excel, and simply get more enjoyment from their favorite physical activities. YOGA FOR FITNESS AND WELLNESS, 2nd Edition, introduces students to the ancient practice of yoga. Covering the history and philosophy of yoga and the theories of Hatha Yoga specifically, the text also explores yoga exercises, including breathing, stretching and strengthening, and relaxation and meditation.
- Photos and figures now appear in a 4-color design format to engage students, especially visual learners, and easily demonstrate yoga poses.
- Resources have been updated to keep the text current. Extensively researched, the text lends credibility to the class it accompanies. It deepens the readers' understanding of and appreciation for this ancient tradition.
- Updated poses give students detailed explanations to help them better understand and practice the poses, making it a great resource in and outside of the classroom.
- Appendixes including a list of yoga organizations, reading suggestions, descriptions of the 17 major yoga styles in the USA, advice on becoming a yoga instructor, and suggestions for designing a home practice give students many ways to continue their study of yoga beyond the classroom.
- The style of yoga covered is universal, appropriate to any class that emphasizes yoga poses and their benefits. Unlike many yoga manuals which teach only one style, the author discusses many styles of yoga and presents the basic elements of most modern yoga systems.
- Appropriate for all skill levels, the text presents the basic skills for yoga, including over 50 of the most commonly taught poses with accompanying photos, making it a great resource in and outside of the classroom.
- Beyond the basic practice skills presented, this text uniquely gives thorough coverage of the history and philosophy of yoga, providing a comprehensive introduction to this increasingly popular form of exercise.
- Included formulas and instructions on how to enter, hold, and exit each pose make it easy to learn the proper techniques.
- Sanskrit names, pronunciation guides, and an English translation for every practice in the text as well as key concepts in yoga's history and philosophy, enable students to understand yoga writings and discuss yoga intelligently with other students and practitioners.
- The accompanying web-based Instructor's Manual includes tips for grading, sample course schedules, and sample quizzes to help you in course preparation.
2. History of Yoga.
3. Yoga Philosophy.
4. Yoga Theory: The Yoga of Balanced Energy.
5. Breathing in Yoga.
8. Yoga for Special Needs.
9. Putting It All Together.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
Located on the password-protected instructor companion website, the Instructor's Manual includes suggested classroom methodologies, bookkeeping information forms, a sample course syllabus, course objectives (cognitive, affective, and psychomotor), a knowledge pre-test survey, cueing techniques and cue signs, strength training circuit workouts, motivational theme classes, body composition assessment lab sign-up sheet, 50 final exam test questions (with answers), course & instructor evaluations for students, and resources to consider (music/books/journals/videotapes/equipment).