Request for consultation
Cengage Learning Activity Series From aerobics and yoga — to bowling, tennis, weight training, and more — Wadsworth offers a complete line of activities texts to meet your teaching needs. Written for individuals of all skill levels and backgrounds, the Wadsworth Physical Activity Series goes beyond the mere fundamentals, showing students how to improve, excel, and simply get more enjoyment from their favorite physical activities. WALKING FOR FUN AND FITNESS, 4th Edition, is divided into three parts: Part One is an introduction to walking; Part Two, Fun and Fitness Through Walking, discusses exercise principles and technique; and Part Three, Maximizing Your Walking Program, covers injury prevention, nutrition and weight management. Armed with the knowledge of this text, students learn effective motivation techniques to get them started (and keep them going!), and help them discover that walking can be fun and lead to greater fitness.
- The book covers the latest information on walking as an effective exercise program and motivation techniques.
- Injury prevention and care, and proper walking attire are covered to help readers get their walking programs off on the right foot.
- All-new photos provided by the authors help illustrate the topics and techniques in the text.
- A new 4-color design helps engage students, especially visual learners.
- Updated resources, including a new food pyramid and updated nutrition recommendations, keep the text current and relevant.
- The previous Chapter 11 (Resources for the Fitness Walker) was eliminated, as resources are now included throughout the text.
- Detailed discussion of the health benefits of walking help to educate and motivate readers as they embark on a walking program.
- Personal worksheets for calculating target heart rate and estimating daily energy expenditures, a walking accountability plan, and walking logs help students personalize their fitness walking program and keep them organized and on track.
- Proven motivational and incentive techniques are included to help readers get started and keep going.
2. Walking: Nature's Most Perfect Exercise.
3. Why Walking?
PART II: FUN AND FITNESS THROUGH WALKING.
4. Exercise Principles and Fitness Walking.
5. Proper Walking Technique.
6. Preparing to Walk.
7. Making the "Do It!" Principle Work for You.
8. Prevention and Care of Injuries.
PART III: MAXIMIZING YOUR WALKING PROGRAM.
10. Weight Management.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
Located on the password-protected instructor companion website, the Instructor's Manual includes suggested classroom methodologies, bookkeeping information forms, a sample course syllabus, course objectives (cognitive, affective, and psychomotor), a knowledge pre-test survey, cueing techniques and cue signs, strength training circuit workouts, motivational theme classes, body composition assessment lab sign-up sheet, 50 final exam test questions (with answers), course & instructor evaluations for students, and resources to consider (music/books/journals/videotapes/equipment).