Request for consultation
With a firm understanding of the changing needs of students, FINANCIAL AND MANAGERIAL ACCOUNTING, 10E, leads students to accounting mastery using an integrated learning system. Building on the authors' proven approach, students are guided through the preparation of financial statements as the authors artfully provide a framework for understanding what accounting is all about and accounting's evolving role in business.
- New Guiding Principles System: Students easily locate the information they need to master course concepts with the new "Guiding Principles System (GPS)" at the beginning of every chapter. This innovative system plots a course through the chapter content by displaying the chapter objectives, major topics related to each chapter objective, and related Example Exercises. The reference to the "At a Glance" chapter summary completes this proven system that leads students quickly to the information they need.
- Enhanced Example Exercises: Reinforce concepts and build students' confidence through Example Exercises, which create consistency between the chapter presentation and assignable material. Students follow the authors' example in the chapter to complete the Practice Exercises at the end of the chapter. With consistent labeling references between the Example Exercises and Practice Exercises, students get the guidance and practice they need.
- Written for Today's Students. Designed for today's students, the 10th edition has been revised using an innovative, high-impact writing style that emphasizes topics in a concise and clearly written manner. Direct sentences, concise paragraphs, and numbered lists provide students with an easy-to-follow structure for learning accounting. This is achieved without sacrificing content or rigor.
- New end-of-text appendix provides expanded coverage of IFRS and includes an exhibit that outlines relevant differences between US GAAP and IFRS for added currency.
- Mornin' Joe Financial Statements: Beginning with Chapter 6, "Inventories," and continuing through Chapter 13, "Investments and Fair Value Accounting," each chapter contains an excerpt from the full financial statements for Mornin' Joe, a coffee company. The addition of this new example shows students the big picture of accounting by providing a consistent reference point for users who want to see an entire set of financial statements and the way each chapter topic fits within them. The financial statements were crafted by the authors to be consistent with the presentation in each chapter, and the numbers were kept simple for introductory students.
- Long-Term Liabilities: Bonds and Notes: In this edition, long-term liabilities are consolidated into a single chapter to provide students a more cohesive presentation of a corporation's activities. New coverage of installment notes provides added context and an example from student's lives.
- Investments and Fair Value Accounting: A new chapter on investments and fair value accounting has been written to consolidate coverage of both bond and stock investments, as well as trading securities, into one chapter. The chapter also introduces a brief conceptual discussion of fair value accounting and its increasing role in defining today's modern accounting methods.
- Modern User-Friendly Design: Based on students' testimonials of what they find most useful, this streamlined presentation includes a wealth of helpful resources without the clutter. To update the look of the material, some Exhibits use computerized spreadsheets to better reflect the changing environment of business. Visual learners will appreciate the generous number of exhibits and illustrations used to convey concepts and procedures.
- Interesting Chapter Openers: Building on the strengths of past editions, these openers continue to relate the accounting and business concepts in the chapter to students' lives. These openers employ examples of real companies and provide invaluable insight into real practice. Several of the openers created especially for this edition focus on interesting companies such as Apple; Dollar Tree; Hasbro; and News Corporation (Fox), the parent company of the hit television shows AMERICAN IDOL and THE SIMPSONS.
- Financial Analysis and Interpretation: Beginning with Chapter 1, the "Financial Analysis and Interpretation" section at the end of each financial accounting chapter introduces relevant key ratios used throughout the textbook. Students connect with the business environment as they learn how stakeholders interpret financial reports. This section covers basic analysis tools that students will use again in Chapter 15, "Financial Statement Analysis." Furthermore, students get to test their proficiency with these tools through special activities and exercises at the end of each chapter. To ensure a consistent presentation, a unique icon is used for both the section and related end-of-chapter materials.
- Business Connections and Comprehensive Real-World Notes: Students get a close-up look at how accounting operates in the marketplace through a variety of items in the margins and in the "Business Connections" boxed features. In addition, a variety of end-of-chapter exercises and problems employ real-world data to give students a feel for the material that accountants see daily. No matter where they are found, elements that use material from real companies are indicated with a unique icon for a consistent presentation.
- Integrity, Objectivity, and Ethics in Business: In each chapter, these cases help students develop their ethical compass. Often coupled with related end-of-chapter activities, these cases can be discussed in class or students can consider the cases as they read the chapter. Both the section and related end-of-chapter materials are indicated with a unique icon for a consistent presentation.
- Continuing Case Study: Students follow a fictitious company, NetSolutions, throughout Chapters 1–5, which demonstrates a variety of transactions. To help students connect to the world of accounting, the NetSolutions transactions in Chapters 1 and 2 are often paired with nonbusiness events to which students can easily relate.
- Summaries: Within each chapter, these synopses draw special attention to important points and help clarify difficult concepts.
- Self-Examination Questions: Five multiple-choice questions, with answers at the end of the chapter, help students review and retain chapter concepts.
- Illustrative Problem and Solution: A solved problem models one or more of the chapter's assignment problems so that students can apply the modeled procedures to end-of-chapter materials.
- Market Leading End-of-Chapter Material: Students need to practice accounting so that they can understand and use it. To give students the greatest possible advantage in the real world, CORPORATE FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING, 10E, goes beyond presenting theory and procedure with comprehensive, time-tested end-of-chapter material.
- Example Exercises: Based on extensive market feedback, Example Exercises were developed to reinforce concepts and procedures in a bold, new way. Like a teacher in the classroom, students follow the authors' example to see how to complete accounting applications as they are presented in the text. This feature also provides a list of Practice Exercises that parallel the Example Exercises so students get the practice they need.
- "At a Glance" Chapter Summary: The "At a Glance" summary grid ties everything together and helps students stay on track. First, the Key Points recap the chapter content for each chapter objective. Second, the related Key Learning Outcomes list all of the expected student performance capabilities that come from completing each objective. In case students need further practice on a specific outcome, the last two columns reference related Example Exercises and their corresponding Practice Exercises. In addition, the "At a Glance" grid guides struggling students from the assignable Practice Exercises to the resources in the chapter that will help them complete their homework. Through this intuitive grid, all of the chapter pedagogy links together in one cleanly integrated summary.
2. Analyzing Transactions.
3. The Adjusting Process.
4. Completing the Accounting Cycle.
5. Accounting for Merchandising Businesses.
7. Sarbanes Oxley, Internal Controls, & Cash.
9. Fixed Assets and Intangible Assets.
10. Current Liabilities & Payroll.
11. Corporations: Organization, Capital Stock Transactions, and Dividends.
12. Long-Term Liabilities: Bonds and Notes
13. Investments and Fair Value Accounting
Complete Financial Statements for Mornin' Joe.
14. Statement of Cash Flows.
15. Financial Statement Analysis.
16. Introduction to Managerial Accounting.
17. Job Order Cost Systems.
18. Process Cost Systems.
19. Cost Behavior and Cost-Volume-Profit Analysis.
20. Variable Costing for Management Analysis
22. Performance Evaluation Using Variances from Standard Costs.
23. Performance Evaluation for Decentralized Operations.
24. Differential Analysis and Product Pricing.
25. Capital Investment Analysis.
26. Cost Allocation and Activity-Based Costing.
27. Cost Management for Just-in-Time Environments.
Appendix A: Interest Tables.
Appendix B: Reversing Entries.
Appendix C: Special Journals and Subsidiary Ledgers.
Appendix D: Merchandising End-of-Period Spreadsheet.
Appendix E: Annual Report.
Appendix F: International Financial Reporting Standards to the TOC.
"That's awesome! (Referring to the new GPS)."
"This seems so much simpler and easier to understand."
"Looks much better than what I currently use. All books should be more like this."
"Much better than my current text!"
"This is a great book!"
"Book is well laid out and organized. Easy to identify different topics and objectives."
"I like the GPS. It is extremely useful to have a place where the material is condensed and right in front of you."
"I really like that you have what exercises go with what section. Accounting is doing it, so it helps you know what you have to do."
"I find Example Exercises very useful. Without examples homework takes longer and is much harder to complete."
"Example Exercises save me!"
"I love the key points in the back."
"I think Kelly Consulting is great. It's something great to always refer back to."
"I would probably get better grades on my homework if I had Kelly Consulting in front of me."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This robust companion website provides immediate access to a rich array of teaching and learning resources -- including the Instructor’s Manual, Solutions Manual, PowerPoint® slides, Study Guide and Solutions, Excel Templates and Solutions, Practice Set Solutions, and Transparency Masters and Handouts (with solutions). Easily download the instructor resources you need from the password-protected, instructor-only section of the website.
Working Papers, Volume 2, Chapters 15-26
These working papers provide students with a starting point for completing end-of-chapter assignments from the textbook.
Solutions Manual, Volume 2, Chapters 15-26
Author-written and carefully verified multiple times to ensure accuracy and consistency with this edition of the text, the Solutions Manual contains answers to the Discussion Questions, Basic Exercises, Exercises, Problems (Series A and Series B), and Cases that appear in each chapter. Solutions for the Comprehensive Problems are also included. These solutions help you easily plan, assign, and grade assignments. The Solutions Manual is also available on the password-protected instructor website.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant, export tests as Word files, and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
These working papers provide students with a starting point for completing end-of-chapter assignments from the textbook.
Solutions Manual, Volume 1, Chapters 1-14
Author-written and carefully verified multiple times to ensure accuracy and consistency with the text, the Solutions Manual contains answers to the Discussion Questions, Basic Exercises, Exercises, Problems (Series A and Series B), Analysis for Decision Making, and Take It Further assignments that appear in each chapter. Solutions for the Continuing Problem and Comprehensive Problems are also included. These solutions help you easily plan, assign and efficiently grade assignments. For your convenience, the Solutions Manual is also available on the password-protected instructor website.
Master the procedures and concepts of accounting and earn the grade you want in your accounting course with the rich array of learning resources at the companion website. Designed specifically for your accounting needs, this website features student PowerPoint® slides, Excel Templates, and Study Guide and solutions.
Working Papers, Volume 2, Chapters 15-26
You’ll find the tools you need to help work through end-of-chapter assignments with these working papers. The preformatted files provide a starting point by giving you a basic structure for journal entries and problems.
Fit and Fashionable Practice Set with Cengage Learning General Ledger Software, 2 terms (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set is a merchandising business operated as a proprietorship. This business is a retail and wholesale seller of fitness equipment and apparel. This set includes a general journal and special journals: sales journal, purchases journal, cash receipts journal, and cash payments journal. It also includes sub- and general ledgers, a checkbook register, and source documents. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 14-15 hours.
Hydro Paddle Boards Practice Set with Cengage Learning General Ledger, 2 terms (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set is for a manufacturing business operated as a corporation. The corporation designs and manufactures custom paddle boards and uses a job-order cost system. This set includes subsidiary ledgers, a schedule of employer payroll taxes, a schedule of unfinished goods, and job cost records. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 13-15 hours.
JP's Tech Solutions with Cengage Learning General Ledger, 2 terms (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set covers the complete accounting cycle for a retail merchandising and service business operated as a small corporation. It includes a narrative of transactions, which are to be recorded in special journals. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 15-16 hours.
Lawn Ranger Landscaping Practice Set with Cengage Learning General Ledger Software, 2 term (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set covers the complete accounting cycle for a small service business operated as a proprietorship. You will follow a narrative of transactions and instructions for an optional solution with no debits and credits. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 15-16 hours.
My Place: House of Décor Practice Set with Cengage Learning General Ledger, 2 terms (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set is based on a service and merchandising business operated as a corporation. My Place: House of Décor is an interior design firm that provides services to clients for the first months, and then adds a new component to the business for the last months -- purchasing and selling antique furniture. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 15-17 hours.
Chic Events by Jada Practice Set with Cengage Learning General Ledger Software, 2 terms (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set includes payroll transactions and purchases and sales for a merchandising business operated as a proprietorship. It includes business documents for a company that plans weddings, anniversaries, birthday parties, and corporate events, as well as selling party supplies. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 12-15 hours.
You'll find the valuable tools you need to help work through end-of-chapter assignments with these working papers. The preformatted files provide a starting point by giving you a basic structure for journal entries and problems.