Request for consultation
FAMILY LAW: THE ESSENTIALS, Third Edition, provides a concise, accurate introduction to key legal concepts and practical paralegal skills, along with excerpts from real-world cases, forms and checklists students can apply on the job, and tips and techniques for professional success. The Third Edition includes new and updated material on current trends and topics in this dynamic field, including legal ethics, technology, domestic violence, fertility and reproductive science, stem cell research, adoption, domestic partnerships, same-sex marriage, and changing definitions of family. Supported by a full range of available teaching and learning supplements, this trusted text is ideal as a core resource for family law courses, a useful complement to general legal study, or a reliable reference for practicing paralegals.
- Now updated with extensive new and expanded material on important trends and topics in this dynamic field, the Third Edition features accurate, up-to-date information on legal ethics, the role of the Internet in family law, domestic violence, fertility and reproductive science, stem cell research, adoption, domestic partnerships, same-sex marriage, and changing definitions of family.
- New features and activities in the current edition help bring chapter material to life and encourage students to hone their skills by conducting Internet research, completing group projects, and exploring ethical issues related to paralegals' professional responsibilities.
- Each chapter now opens with a list of learning objectives and relevant skills to help guide students' reading, while review questions and ethics exercises conclude each chapter to encourage effective studying and critical thinking.
- A new appendix includes an index of all major United States Supreme Court opinions on family law, providing a comprehensive reference useful for aspiring and active family law paralegals alike.
- A second new appendix lists recommended resources for family law practitioners in every state, providing a convenient guide to important tools and information sources that paralegals can draw on as working professionals.
- Detailed, realistic forms and checklists throughout the text introduce useful tools and techniques students can expect to apply on the job, helping them hone practical skills to support professional success.
- This concise, reader-friendly text features essential material from the author's market-leading comprehensive text, providing a thorough introduction to key legal concepts and practical paralegal skills within a convenient package.
- Detailed state-specific material is available for Texas, New York, California, and Florida, making this proven text an even more valuable resource for students preparing for paralegal careers in those states.
- Supported by a full range of available learning supplements, this trusted book is ideal as an informative resource for legal study or a reliable reference for practicing paralegals.
- Each chapter includes extensive tables and charts to clarify key concepts and help students master even complex information more easily, as well as Internet resources to encourage further exploration of topics that students find especially interesting or challenging.
2. Premarital Agreements and Cohabitation Agreements.
3. Traditional Marriage and Alternatives.
5. Divorce Grounds and Procedure.
6. Spousal Support, Property Division, and the Separation Agreement.
7. Child Custody.
8. Child Support.
9. Tax Consequences of Separation and Divorce.
10. The Legal Rights of Women.
11. Illegitimacy and Paternity.
12. The Legal Status of Children.
14. The New Science of Motherhood.
15. Torts and Family Law.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, Instructor's Manual, computerized test bank, and more.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Paralegal CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Paralegal CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes--online with CourseMate.