Request for consultation
Fundamental design principles will always remain the same, but the digital technology that can support them is evolving and affecting their application in a profound way. In this unique and timely book, artist and educator James Bennett explores essential elements of design within the context of the "new media" reality in which today's designers learn and work. With a brand new design and dozens of striking new images, this new edition covers extensive updates to digital technology including interactive media, web color and typography, and designing for mobile devices. Combining timeless principles with cutting-edge technology in a smart, visually rich, full-color package, DESIGN FUNDAMENTALS FOR NEW MEDIA, Second Edition, provides a thorough and engaging introduction to modern applications of essential design techniques.
- Extensive updates of conceptual material and expanded coverage of digital media content and its relationship to new and evolving technology, such as designing for mobile devices.
- With a brand new design and dozens of new full color images, this new edition has hundreds of examples of concepts that are vital to designing with new media.
- A new CourseMate interactive learning resource features compelling demonstrations of design techniques for new media to help students understand and appreciate key concepts from the text and their diverse applications.
- New advanced end of chapter exercises will challenege students and explore topics of interest in great depth to further their understanding.
- Combines comprehensive coverage with a concise, reader-friendly style, intuitive organization, and visually appealing layout, making it both highly informative and enjoyable to read.
- Clearly explains a wide range of concepts vital for designing with new media, and rich illustrations throughout the text showcase noteworthy practical applications of the concepts.
- A "Special Issues" feature highlights areas of concern for new media designers, such as points where traditional design conventions differ from common new media practices.
- Interviews and behind-the-scenes stories in "A Designer's Tale" features provide illuminating glimpses into the practical side of real-world new media design.
- In addition to serving as a uniquely effective introductory guide for students, the text's clear concepts and vivid illustrations make it a valuable resource for professional designers, who can consult it for both inspirational ideas and practical advice.
2. The Design Process.
9. Using Color.
10. Composition and Layout.
13. Repetition and Rhythm.
21. Incorporating Additional Media.
"This book hits all of the major concepts I like to use in future advanced classes. I have not been able to find another one comparable that covers so much information."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
This Instructor Companion Sites providesepassword-protected resources to help you facilitate your course: an instructor's manual, syllabus, lesson plans, and PowerPoint® lecture slides. To access this Companion Site, please visit www.cengage.com/delmar and search by ISBN.