Request for consultation
Created through a “student-tested, faculty-approved” review process with thousands of students and hundreds of faculty, EXPLORACIONES is an engaging and accessible solution for your introductory Spanish course that accommodates the diverse lifestyles of today's learners at a value-based price. It is a student- and instructor-friendly program that supports today's contemporary students while building proficiency in all the language skills through contextualized and communicative activities. EXPLORACIONES is based on materials and activities that capture the interests of a broad student audience, engaging them in situations and topics that go beyond the traditional college experience. The text includes all of the key concepts that instructors, like you, require for your course, and a full suite of learning aids to accommodate your students' busy lifestyles, including tear-out chapter-in-review study cards, online quizzes, online flash cards, and more. You have definite opinions about textbooks and supplements; EXPLORACIONES aims to give you what you want, how you want it.
- A analizar videos provide level-appropriate clips that present the vocabulary and grammar in context. Students view the video (practicing listening skills) and analyze the language to discover the grammatical rules at work. These contextualized conversations model language usage as well as proper pronunciation.
- Two new Exploraciones profesionales segments highlight additional career opportunities that involve communication in Spanish.
- Learning outcome and strategy annotations have been added as checkpoints for students throughout each chapter.
- Certain vocabulary and grammar presentations are re-sequenced to establish thematic cohesion at the chapter level:
- Chapter 2 will present –ar verbs before tener que and tener ganas de so that students have a larger number of verbs to use with these important constructions.
- Chapter 3 will first present –er and –ir verbs and me/te/le gusta in the contexts of seasons, weather, clothing, and color and then ir and ir a + infinitive with days, dates, and time. Stem-changing verbs and question formation will be delayed until Chapter 4.
- Chapter 4 will introduce students to o ue stem-changers first, so these verbs are covered in the first half of the chapter. The e stem-changers are presented in the second half, after students have had a chance to digest the concept of stem changes. Since question formation pairs logically with looking for a house and it is helpful for students to have the verb estar while working on questions, these concepts are also presented in the first half of the chapter. Adjective placement II and ordinal numbers will be introduced in context with weather (buen tiempo/mal tiempo) and with house vocabulary (primer piso), rather than as separate presentations.
- Chapter 6 will present sequencing (antes de + infinitive, acabar de + infinitive, soler + infinitive, etc.) alongside reflexives, which will provide students with expressions that are useful in describing their daily routines. The preterite will also be presented, but affirmative and negative expressions will now be covered later in the program.
- Chapter 8: To allow for the addition of affirmative and negative expressions, passive se will be moved from this chapter to Chapter 11.
- New activities in the Conexiones culturales sections direct students to the Exploraciones del mundo hispano country profile pages to uncover key information about Spanish-speaking countries and peoples.
- The first En vivo section develops students’ listening skills through a targeted strategy and activities applied to a real-world audio clip. The second En vivo further hones students’ reading and interpretative skills by presenting an authentic, real-world document.
- Exploraciones accommodates the diverse learning styles of today’s students by focusing on practical topics and tasks that appeal to a range of ages and life experiences. This focus is evident in the subject matter of the activities and exercises, the style of the illustrations and photos, and the attention paid to careers that require proficiency in Spanish.
- Chapter-in-Review Cards at the back of the Student Edition provide students a portable study tool.
- A full suite of unique online learning tools that appeal to different learning styles is available to students with the purchase of a new book. Quizzes, audio downloads, video downloads, a media-rich eBook, and more are only a click away.
- All of the content and resources you expect with a supplements package that is second to none, including an Annotated Instructor's Edition, an Instructor's Resource Manual, an audio-enhanced testing program, a supplementary activities manual, PowerPoint lecture slides, sample syllabi, and sample lesson plans.
OBJECTIVES: Greet and say goodbye to people in formal and informal situations. Describe your classroom, your friends, and other people. Use numbers up to 100 and exchange telephone numbers. Spell names. VOCABULARY: The alphabet. Numbers 0-100. Classroom vocabulary. Greetings. Descriptive adjectives. GRAMMAR: Gender and number of nouns. Definite and indefinite articles and the use of hay. The verb ser. Adjective agreement. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: La escuela es para todos. Lectura: Algunos famosos de Latinoamérica. Video: (new) La narración de voz en off (locución bilingüe). CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: Latinos e hispanos en el mundo. Conexiones culturales: La diversidad del mundo hispano.
2. ¿Cómo es tu vida?
OBJECTIVES: Describe your family and talk about ages. Discuss your classes. Discuss your routine (using -ar verbs). Express ownership. VOCABULARY: Family members and common pets. Academic subjects. GRAMMAR: Possessive adjectives. Regular –ar verbs. The verb tener and expressions with tener. Adjective placement. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: La familia típica latinoamericana. Lectura: Otros sistemas universitarios. Video: La administración (Asistente de oficina, moved from C1). CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: El papel y de la familia y su valor. Conexiones culturales: La educación.
3. ¿Qué tiempo hace hoy?
OBJECTIVES: Talk about the weather and seasons. Discuss clothing. Express likes and dislikes. Communicate dates and times. Tell what you and others are going to do in the near future. VOCABULARY: Seasons, weather, clothing and colors. Days of the week, months and time. GRAMMAR: The verb gustar. Regular –er and –ir verbs. The verb ir. Ir + a + infinitive. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: La ropa tradicional. Lectura: La Navidad en algunos países hispanos. Video: El turismo. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: El clima y la ropa. Conexiones culturales: Las celebraciones.
4. ¿Dónde vives?
OBJECTIVES: Describe your town or city. Describe your home. Tell where things are located. Request information about the cost of things. Use question words to ask for specific information. VOCABULARY: Places in a city. Rooms of a house, furniture and appliances. GRAMMAR: Stem-changing verbs 1. (o->ue). The verb estar with prepositions. Question formation. Stem changing verbs 2. e->i , i->ie). READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: Algunas ciudades únicas de Latinoamérica. Lectura: Soluciones a la vivienda. Video: La arquitectura. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: Ciudades fuera de lo común. Conexiones culturales: Casas únicas.
5. ¿Estás feliz en el trabajo?
OBJECTIVES: Describe your feelings, emotions, and physical states. Talk about ongoing actions. Discuss abilities needed for certain jobs and professions. VOCABULARY: Adjectives of emotion and physical states. Professions. GRAMMAR: Estar with adjectives and the present progressive. Ser and estar. Verbs with changes in the first person. Saber and conocer. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: ¿Quiénes son más felices? Lectura: Profesiones poco comunes. Video: El trabajo social. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: Las emociones y el bienestar. Conexiones culturales: Las profesiones y la economía.
6. ¿Cómo pasas el día?
OBJECTIVES: Talk about your daily routine. Discuss your hobbies and pastimes. Talk about when and how often you do things. Talk about sports. Discuss events that occurred in the past. VOCABULARY: Parts of the body. Sports and outdoor activities. GRAMMAR: Reflexive verbs. Sequence of events and frecuency. The preterite. Stem-changing verbs in the preterite. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: La siesta. Lectura: Deportistas famosos. Video: La educación física. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: La vida diaria. Conexiones culturales: Los deportes en España y Latinoamérica.
7. ¿Qué te gusta comer?
OBJECTIVES: Talk about food. Order meals at a restaurant. Use numbers above 100. VOCABULARY: Fruit, vegetables and condiments. Meals and utensils. Numbers above 100. GRAMMAR: Irregular verbs in the preterite. Por and para and prepositional pronouns. Direct object pronouns 1 (third person). Direct object pronouns 2 (first and second person). READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: Los alimentos del Nuevo Mundo. La comida rápida en Latinoamérica. Video: La cocina. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: La comida y la identidad cultural. Conexiones culturales: El negocio de la comida.
8. ¿Qué haces dentro y fuera de la casa?
OBJECTIVES: Describe household chores. Talk about your hobbies - and pastimes. Talk about what you used to do in the past. VOCABULARY: Household chores. Hobbies and pastimes. GRAMMAR: The imperfect. Indefinite and negative expressions. Indirect object pronouns (and verbs like gustar). Double object pronouns. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: La ciudad es nuestra casa. Lectura: Todos necesitamos un pasatiempo. Video: (new) Publicidad y Marketing. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: Los deberes de la casa. Conexiones culturales: El entretenimiento.
9. ¿Qué pasó?
OBJECTIVES: Describe past events in detail. Talk about holidays and celebrations. Give the details of an accident. VOCABULARY: Parties and celebrations. Navigating the city. GRAMMAR: A comparison of the preterite and imperfect. Uses of the preterite and the imperfect. Preterite and imperfect with emotions and conditions. Summary of preterite and imperfect. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: El Día de los Muertos. Lectura: Leyendas urbanas. Video: El órden público. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: Festivales y celebraciones. Conexiones culturales: El tráfico y los accidentes.
10. ¿Adónde vas a viajar?
OBJECTIVES: Give and receive directions. Make travel arrangements. Reserve and talk about hotel accommodations. Suggest activities. Make informal and formal requests. VOCABULARY: Taking a trip. Staying in a hotel. GRAMMAR: Relative pronouns. Formal and nosotros commands. Informal commands. Commands with pronouns. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: ¿Adónde ir de vacaciones? Lectura: ¿Dónde quedarse: hoteles, moteles, pensiones o albergues? Video: La seguridad de aeropuertos. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: La industria del turismo. Conexiones culturales: Lugares excepcionales.
11. ¿Es la moda arte?
OBJECTIVES: Express preferences and make comparisons. Describe the state of objects and people. VOCABULARY: Shopping for clothing. Art. GRAMMAR: Passive se/impersonal se. Comparisons. Estar with the past participle. Se to indicate accidental occurrences. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: Las Tapadas en Perú. Lectura: Remedios Varo. Video: Las ventas. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: La moda. Conexiones culturales: Las artes tradicionales.
12. ¿Qué será de nuestro planeta?
OBJECTIVES: Talk about what you have done. Talk about the future. Discuss the environment. Express your opinions and knowledge about the animal world and the environment. Express doubt and certainty. VOCABULARY: Geography and environment. Animals. GRAMMAR: Present perfect. Future. Present subjunctive with impersonal expressions. Present subjunctive with doubt. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: Los parques nacionales en Costa Rica. Lectura: Animales fantásticos. Video: La ingeniería ambiental. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: La geografía. Conexiones culturales: La ecología.
13. ¿Es tu vida una telenovela?
OBJECTIVES: Talk about relationships. Talk about pop culture. Express desires and give recommendations. Discuss emotional reactions to events. VOCABULARY: Personal relations. Popular culture. GRAMMAR: Reciprocal verbs. Present subjunctive with expressions of desire. Present subjunctive with expressions of emotion. Present subjunctive with adjective clauses. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: Tradiciones nupciales. Lectura: Las telenovelas. Video: Productor. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: El cortejo. Conexiones culturales: De película.
14. ¿Qué haces en una emergencia?
OBJECTIVES: Discuss health issues with a doctor. Discuss hypothetical situations. Express opinions regarding world issues. Relate what had happened prior to other events in the past. VOCABULARY: Health and medical emergencies. Countries and nationalities. GRAMMAR: Conditional. Imperfect subjunctive. Subjunctive with adverbs of time. Subjunctive with adverbs of condition. Pluperfect. READING AND VIDEO: Lectura: El valor de la salud. Lectura: Latinoamérica y la inmigración. Video: La medicina. CULTURE: Conexiones culturales: El valor de la salud. Conexiones culturales: Los países hispanos frente al futuro.
Maps and country profiles.
“Teaching Exploraciones without iLrn would be like using an old flip cell phone when you could be using a smart phone. It just makes more sense in the world we livein to give students access to a great piece of technology that helps their learning.”
“[The instructors’] enthusiasm for particular elements in the book and in iLrn --and the knowledge that they can teach the way they want -- improves the teaching experience, the class environment, and the learning experience.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual, Answer Key, Audioscript
Provided to instructors to share with students at their discretion, the Answer Key provides answers to the activities and the Audioscript provides scripts for all of the recorded material contained in the Student Activities Manual.
Includes all audio files to accompany the listening sections of the Exploraciones Testing Program.
EXPLORACIONES offers three types of videos: New video in the A analizar section models usage of the chapter’s active grammatical concepts in context. The Exploraciones profesionales video segment focuses on the practical use of Spanish in the working world. This section features a variety of professional fields, from elementary education to retail sales to nursing. The segments are closely tied to the chapter theme, grammar, and vocabulary. Exploraciones also includes Geo-Cultural clips to accompany the country profiles included in the Exploraciones del mundo hispano. The video highlights important points of interest of each of the Spanish-speaking countries.
Audio CD with 6 CDs
All recorded material, including dialogues, simulated conversations, and pronunciation practice is provided to instructors on the Student Activities Manual Audio Program.
Audio CD with 6 CDs