Request for consultation
Providing even more emphasis on inquiry-based learning and student collaboration and featuring three new green experiments and more than a dozen newly developed experiments, this Sixth Edition of Gilbert and Martin's proven EXPERIMENTAL ORGANIC CHEMISTRY contains procedures for both miniscale (also known as small scale) and microscale users. The book offers an early focus on equipment, record keeping, and safety in the laboratory, and then guides students step by step through the theoretical and mechanistic principles underlying the experiments and the laboratory techniques needed to perform them with confidence. Students learn how to use a range of experimental techniques to synthesize compounds and analyze their properties, complete multi-step syntheses of organic compounds, and solve structures of unknown compounds. New experiments in Chapter 17 and 18 demonstrate the potential of chiral agents in fostering enantioselectivity and of performing solvent-free reactions. The bioorganic experiment in Chapter 24 reflects the increasing emphasis on bioorganic chemistry in the course and gives students an opportunity to accomplish a mechanistically interesting and synthetically important coupling of two -amino acids to produce a dipeptide.
- With three new green experiments and over a dozen newly developed experiments (in chapters 3, 10, and 14-20) this edition is considerably enhanced to provide a comprehensive lab experience for students.
- To make room for new experiments, Chapters 25 (Identifying Organic Compounds) and 26 (The Literature of Organic Chemistry) have been moved online.
- All images have been checked, with many revised and updated as needed.
- New spectra have been added and are available online.
- OWLv2 with LabSkills and MindTap Reader: Featuring chemist-developed content, OWLv2 with LabSkills is the only system designed to elevate thinking through Mastery Learning. Developed to prepare students for their lab sessions through pre-lab assignments, this new OWLv2 course includes LabSkills pre-lab techniques, a MindTap Reader of the lab manual, and pre and post-lab content specific to the experiments. With detailed, instant feedback and interactive learning resources, students get the help they need when they need it.
- Each experiment begins with a thorough discussion of the theory and procedures involved and lays out experimental procedures in a clear format to enhance student understanding.
- Featuring chemist-developed content, OWLv2 with LabSkills is the only system designed to elevate thinking through Mastery Learning. Developed to prepare students for their lab sessions through pre-lab assignments, this new OWLv2 course includes LabSkills pre-lab techniques, a MindTap Reader of the lab manual, and pre and post-lab content specific to the experiments. With detailed, instant feedback and interactive learning resources, students get the help they need when they need it.
- Safety is emphasized through "Safety Alerts" and "Wrapping It Up" sections that highlight possible hazards and proper disposal of spent chemicals.
- Fascinating "Historical Highlights" familiarize students with the lives of chemical pioneers who have advanced the field of chemistry.
- Accurately drawn art shows students how to set up an experiment with confidence.
- Margin drawings of equipment remind students about the set up for such techniques as distillation and reflux.
2. Techniques and Apparatus.
3. Solids: Recrystallization and Melting Points.
4. Liquids: Distillation and Boiling Points.
8. Spectral Methods.
12. Dienes: The Diels-Alder Reaction.
13. Kinetic and Thermodynamic Control of a Reaction.
14. Nucleophilic Aliphatic Substitution: Preparation of Alkyl Halides.
15. Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution.
16. Oxidation of Alcohols and Carbonyl Compounds.
17. Reduction Reactions of Double Bonds: Alkenes, Carbonyl Compounds, and lmines.
18. Reactions of Carbonyl Compounds.
19. Organometallic Chemistry.
20. Carboxylic Acids and Their Derivatives.
21. Multistep Organic Synthesis.
24. Amino Acids and Peptides.
25. Identifying Organic Compounds (ONLINE ONLY).
26. The Literature of Organic Chemistry (ONLINE ONLY).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This Instructor Resource Site, accessible from the Instructor Resource Center when you sign in at login.cengage.com, provides access to the Instructor’s Manual, Complete Pre-Lab Exercises, and MSDS.