Request for consultation
Bestselling ESSENTIALS OF PHYSICAL ANTHROPOLOGY, 10th Edition, presents a concise and authoritative introduction to physical anthropology with the goal of helping students understand the science behind human evolution and how humans are biologically connected to all life forms. These biological connections link our species with our ancient ancestors, our contemporary primate cousins, and show how closely modern human populations are related to each other. The text emphasizes this theme of biological connections as well as the connections between chapters in the material presented. This framework will help students grasp the big picture of human evolution and better navigate the material.
- At the start of every chapter, learning objectives (linked to the main chapter headings) and a short outline provide a preview of the upcoming content.
- "Why It Matters" boxes toward the end of each chapter incorporate a "Your Turn" activity that allows students to decide what to do next.
- "Physical Anthropology in Practice," boxes highlight important discoveries, controversies, and contributions by physical anthropologists while engaging students with critical-thinking questions.
- Updates throughout the text reflect recent discoveries and advances in virtually every aspect of physical anthropology.
- MindTap® is an online interactive learning solution that compels students to think critically about their text readings, and improves their comprehension by integrating a variety of tools such as video, chapter quizzes, and a full MindTap® Reader of the text.
- "What's Important" tables in the fossil chapters and chapter-ending critical-thinking questions help students grasp course material and complex concepts.
- The book's art program includes illustrations, maps, and hundreds of photos directly related to text material, achieving the highest level of pedagogical usefulness, quality, and consistency. Photographs of specimens supplement illustrations to lend a more lifelike appearance.
- Numerous charts and diagrams summarize key information throughout the text, helping students understand complex scientific material using a visually simple format.
- Proven pedagogical aids include Quick Reviews, a running glossary, and chapter-ending "Why it Matters" and "Physical Anthropology in Practice" boxes.
- The text presents fossils in chronological order and connects the different fossil finds to human evolution, so students are better able to understand the big picture of human evolution.
2. The Development of Evolutionary Theory.
3. The Biological Basis of Life.
4. Heredity and Evolution.
5. Processes of Macroevolution.
6. An Overview of the Primates.
7. Primate Behavior.
8. Primate and Hominin Origins.
9. The First Dispersal of the Genus Homo: Homo erectus and Contemporaries.
10. Premodern Humans.
11. The Origin and Dispersal of Modern Humans.
12. Human Variation and Adaptation.
13. Legacies of Human Evolutionary History: Effects on the Life Course.
14. The Human Disconnection.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using resources such as teaching suggestions, solutions, blooper explanations, midterm review, final exam review, chapter test banks, unit tests, chapter quizzes, and many other classroom support materials.
Vibrant PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.