Request for consultation
Introduce the MATLAB language to your students and show how to use it to solve typical problems with the concise, successful ESSENTIALS OF MATLAB® PROGRAMMING, 3E. Author Stephen Chapman emphasizes problem-solving skills throughout this edition as he presents MATLAB as a technical programming language. The book clearly shows students how to write clean, efficient and well-documented programs, while simultaneously introducing them to many of the practical functions of MATLAB. The first seven chapters are ideal for an “Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving” course for freshman engineering students. The last two chapters address more advanced topics of additional data types and plot types, cell arrays, structures, and new MATLAB handle graphics.
- UPDATES REPRESENT MATLAB VERSIONS 2014B AND LATER. This edition of the text equips students to use the most recent MATLAB versions and familiarizes them with the latest features, such as the new H2 graphics system.
- REVISIONS REFLECT THE LATEST MATLAB FUNCTIONS. Students leave your course prepared to work with the latest changes in MATLAB, such as the new “legend” options and the tools to easily remove descriptions of deprecated features.
- NEW CONTENT INTRODUCES THE OBJECT-STYLE APPROACH TO ADDRESSING GRAPHICS PROPERTIES. This edition clearly teaches students how to master object-oriented approach while also maintaining a description of the older keyword-value approach.
- CONCISE PRESENTATIONS CONCENTRATE ON THE MOST USEFUL FEATURES OF MATLAB. This brief text focuses on features that most users need in their daily tasks. Advanced capabilities, such as MATLAB GUIs and object-oriented programming, are excluded from this concise book to keep the length and cost reasonable. (These topics are covered thoroughly in the larger version of this book: MATLAB® PROGRAMMING FOR ENGINEERS.)
- SHORTER EARLIER CHAPTERS PRESENT CONCEPTS IN MANAGEABLE SEGMENTS. The author has separated important topics in this edition to help students absorb the material in more bite-sized chunks. Branches and loops are now each addressed in their own chapters, while the discussion of functions is divided into two chapters.
- NEW CHAPTER 3 IS DEDICATED EXCLUSIVELY TO 2D PLOTS. The author has collected and placed all of the plotting information in a single place to ensure student comprehension.
- CHAPTER 8 NOW OFFERS MORE EXTENSIVE COVERAGE OF 3D PLOTS. Students who are ready to take their understanding of 3D Plots to the next level can now find additional explanations and depth of coverage within this chapter.
- MATERIAL EMPHASIZES METHODS FOR EFFICIENTLY LOCATING DESIRED FUNCTIONS WITHIN MATLAB. In addition to teaching key features of MATLAB, this brief text places important emphasis on teaching students where to find the functions that they need within the MATLAB platform.
- GOOD PROGRAMMING PRACTICES ARE EMPHASIZED THROUGHOUT. The author carefully reinforces strong programming skills, such as top-down design. He emphasizes the importance of first clearly defining the problem to be solved as well as required inputs and outputs before starting any project.
- STUDENTS USE FUNCTIONS TO DECOMPOSE TASKS INTO SMALLER SUBTASKS. Clear presentations guide students through data hiding, unit testing, and how to avoid common mistakes. The author has carefully addressed the MATLAB tools that make programming easier, including the Editor/Debugger, Workspace Browser, and Help Browser.
- “GOOD PROGRAMMING” BOXES HIGHLIGHT STRONG PROGRAMMING PRACTICES. This special learning feature draws additional attention to programming skills as they are introduced.
- “PROGRAMMING PITFALL” BOXES EMPHASIZE COMMON ERRORS. These helpful features address typical mistakes and demonstrate how students can avoid them as they work and complete projects.
- ADVANCED COVERAGE ADDRESSES DATA STRUCTURES AND NEW HANDLE GRAPHICS. Chapter 9 explains data structures through cell arrays and structure arrays. Through the new handle graphics features students learn to control the appearance of plots and graphs.
- PROVEN LEARNING FEATURES AID IN STUDENT COMPREHENSION. To ensure student comprehension and offer tools for study and review, the book include quizzes as well as end-of-chapter summaries and questions with provided answers for self-testing.
- WEBSITE CONVENIENTLY OFFERS THE SOURCE CODE FOR ALL EXAMPLES. The book’s companion website highlights the source code used in all of the illustrations within the book and highlights instructor’s source code for all solutions.
- BRIEF VERSION HIGHLIGHTS THE MOST IMPORTANT PARTS OF USING MATLAB. This concise, streamlined text emphasizes the MATLAB skills students are most likely to use on a daily basis, while still emphasizing MATLAB’s use as a programming language.
- PRESENTATION TEACHES THE PROPER USE OF MATLAB’S BUILT IN TOOLS. Students leave your course equipped to complete more efficient programming and debugging.
The Advantages of MATLAB. Disadvantages of MATLAB. The MATLAB Environment. Using MATLAB as a Calculator. Summary. Exercises.
2. MATLAB BASICS.
Variables and Arrays. Creating and Initializing Variables in MATLAB. Multidimensional Arrays. Subarrays. Special Values. Displaying Output Data. Data Files.
Scalar and Array Operations. Hierarchy of Operations. Built-in MATLAB Functions. Introduction to Plotting. Examples. Debugging MATLAB Programs. Summary. Exercises.
3. TWO-DIMENSIONAL PLOTS.
Additional Plotting Features for Two-Dimensional Plots. Polar Plots. Annotating and Saving Plots. Additional Types of Two-Dimensional Plots. Using the plot function with Two-Dimensional Arrays. Summary. Exercises.
4. BRANCHING STATEMENTS AND PROGRAM DESIGN.
Introduction to Top-Down Design Techniques. Use of Pseudocode. The Logical Data Type. Branches. More on Debugging MATLAB Programs. Summary. Exercises.
5. LOOPS AND VECTORIZATION.
The while Loop. The for Loop Logical Arrays and Vectorization. The MATLAB Profiler. Additional Examples. The textread Function. Summary. Exercises.
6. BASIC USER-DEFINED FUNCTIONS.
Introduction to MATLAB Functions. Variable Passing in MATLAB: The Pass-By-Value Scheme. Optional Arguments. Sharing Data Using Global Memory. Preserving Data Between Calls to a Function. Built-in MATLAB Functions: Sorting Functions. Built-in MATLAB Functions: Random Number Functions. Summary. Exercises.
7. ADVANCED FEATURES OF USER-DEFINED FUNCTIONS.
Function Functions. Local Functions, Private Functions, and Nested Functions. Function Handles. Anonymous Functions. Recursive Functions. Plotting Functions. Histograms. Summary. Exercises.
8. ADDITIONAL DATA TYPES AND PLOT TYPES.
Complex Data. Strings and String Functions. Multidimensional Arrays. Three-Dimensional Plots. Summary. Exercises.
9. CELL ARRAYS, STRUCTURES, AND HANDLE GRAPHICS.
Cell Arrays. Structure Arrays. Handle Graphics. Position and Units. Printer Positions. Default and Factory Properties. Graphics Object Properties. Summary. Exercises.
Appendix A: UTF-8 Character Set.
Appendix B: MATLAB Input / Output Functions.
Appendix C: Answers to Quizzes.
“The big challenge in teaching this course is that once students get beyond the basics of the programming syntax, they have difficulty in approaching and solving more difficult problems. The author does a good job of both explaining and showing how to do just that.”
“I am currently using this textbook, because of its simplistic and easy to digest nature for students to understand.”
“I especially like the emphasis on top-down program design and the use of functions to decompose problem into sub-problems.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Solutions Manual
This convenient Solutions Manual provides time-saving code and graphic solutions for all exercises.
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login and provides the Instructor’s Solutions Manual, Instructor MATLAB code files, and Lecture Note PowerPoint® Slides in the password-protected section of the site.