Request for consultation
A trusted market leader, Guffey/Loewy's ESSENTIALS OF BUSINESS COMMUNICATION, 10e presents a streamlined approach to business communication that includes unparalleled resources and author support for instructors and students. ESSENTIALS OF BUSINESS COMMUNICATION provides a four-in-one learning package that includes the authoritative text, practice activities, a self-teaching grammar and mechanics handbook at the back of the text, and a digital solution with MindTap™ that integrates popular resources like Aplia™, Write Experience, and YouSeeU™ around the text content. This edition offers extraordinary print and digital exercises designed to help students with outdated or inadequate language skills build confidence as they review grammar, punctuation, and writing guidelines. Textbook chapters teach basic writing skills and encourage students to apply these skills to a variety of e-mails, memos, letters, reports, and resumes. Redesigned, updated model documents and extensively updated exercises and activities introduce students to the latest business communication practices. The latest edition of this award-winning text features complete coverage of social media and digital communication in every chapter. The innovative digital resources of MindTap™ make teaching and learning business communication easier and more enjoyable. MindTap includes Aplia™ assignments for automatically graded questions on content and grammar, Write Experience for automatically grading writing assessment, and YouSeeU™ to facilitate oral communication activities through digital video.
- NEW MINDTAP™ PROVIDES A PERSONALIZED, FULLY ONLINE DIGITAL LEARNING EXPERIENCE. Authoritative content and interactive assignments engage your students while offering you flexibility in configuring coursework. Chapter-based learning paths utilize the MindTap™ Reader eBook, Aplia™ assignments that highlight key concepts in each chapter, automatically graded writing assessment, and oral communication activities through YouSeeU™. Other MindApps web applications let you create an engaging course with options to read the text aloud, insert video and audio, and create shared social media information. You'll also find measurable learning objectives for each unit.
- NEW COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE ADDRESSES SOCIAL MEDIA AND DIGITAL WRITING. This edition introduces communication foundations with an emphasis on social media in today's technology-based workplace. Students review trends in today's networked business environment and examine the need for excellent communication skills in social media and other communication technologies. Chapter 5 highlights digital messages in today's hyper-connected workplace. Students learn to compose professional instant messages, blogs, and wikis. They also study professional standards for email usage, structure, and format.
- NEW SOCIAL MEDIA FIGURES AND MODEL DOCUMENTS HIGHLIGHT THE PROFESSIONAL USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA TODAY. New figures and realistic model documents guide students in the best professional use of social media, such as Facebook and Twitter. New coverage demonstrates the proper professional use of new communication tools, such as instant messaging, podcasts, blogs, and wikis.
- NEW GROUNDBREAKING DESIGN CAPTIVATES TODAY'S VISUAL LEARNERS. Fresh, new colorful, magazine-like graphics throughout this new edition immediately capture students' attention and direct visual learners to significant content. New infographics and figures present business communication concepts in a graphically appealing format that will strengthen student comprehension and reinforce the understanding of concepts.
- NEW SOCIAL MEDIA END-OF-CHAPTER ACTIVITIES PROVIDE HANDS-ON PRACTICE. Students can immediately practice their new communication skills as they develop proficiency in effectively utilizing social media in the workplace. These activities are clearly identified with a "Social Media" icon.
- WRITE EXPERIENCE LETS STUDENTS IMPROVE WRITING AND CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS. Cengage Learning's Write Experience gives your students the opportunity to improve their writing and critical thinking skills without adding to your workload as the instructor. Write Experience utilizes artificial intelligence to not only score student writing instantly and accurately, but also provide students with detailed revision goals and feedback on their writing to help them improve.
- POPULAR WRITING PLANS GUIDE STUDENTS STEP-BY-STEP AS THEY BEGIN WRITING. With Writing Plans your students can get started quickly in organizing and formatting messages. This hallmark feature summarizes the steps in creating every type of business writing.
- NUMEROUS MODEL DOCUMENTS PROVIDE A ROAD MAP TO THE WRITING PROCESS. Abundant, proven model documents use descriptive callouts to direct students through the writing process. Before-and-after documents demonstrate chapter concepts and illustrate the value of the revision process.
- USEFUL GRAMMAR/MECHANICS HANDBOOK PROVIDES QUICK REVIEW OF BASIC GRAMMAR AND MECHANICS. This brief Grammar/Mechanics Handbook at the end of the book offers a rapid, systematic review of the basics. You'll find a Grammar/Mechanics Diagnostics quiz, a Grammar/Mechanics Profile, and a concise review of the basic principles of grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and number style.
- OFFICE INSIDERS DEMONSTRATE HOW COMMUNICATION SKILLS CAN LEAD TO JOB SUCCESS. Office Insiders accentuate the importance of communication skills and demonstrate how excellent skills translate into career success.
Communicating in the Digital-Age Workplace.
Unit 2: The Business Writing Process.
2. Planning Business Messages.
3. Organizing and Drafting Business Messages.
4. Revising Business Messages.
Unit 3: Workplace Messages.
5. Short Workplace Messages and Digital Media.
6. Positive Messages.
7. Negative Messages.
8. Persuasive and Sales Messages.
Unit 4: Business Reports.
9. Informal Reports.
10. Proposals and Formal Reports.
Unit 5: Professionalism and Team, Meeting, and Presentation Skills.
11. Professionalism at Work: Business Etiquette, Ethics, Teamwork, and Meetings.
12. Business Presentations.
Unit 6: Employment Communication .
13. The Job Search and Résumés in the Digital Age.
14. Interviewing and Following Up.
A. Document Formats.
B. Proofreading and Corrections Symbols.
C. Citation and Documentation Formats.
Front Matter and End Matter.
Key to Grammar/Mechanics Checkups.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
An updated, certified Test Bank offers a wide variety of questions for every chapter. Each question is tagged with the corresponding page reference, difficulty level, topic, AACSB competency, and Bloom's Taxonomy. It is also available via a new online testing system, powered by Cognero®. This online tool allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions. You can also create multiple test versions in an instant and easily deliver tests from your LMS to your classroom, or other locations.
Expand your students' understanding and streamline class preparation with the numerous instructor and student resources available on this edition's robust companion website. Easily download password-protected instructor resources, including the Solution's Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint® slides. Students can review concepts using PowerPoint® slides, online quizzes, and other interactive learning tools.
Annotated Instructor's Edition
The Instructor's Edition includes an answer key to provide you with an easy-to-read, all-in-one manual from which to teach. In-text answers to all end-of-chapter review questions, writing improvement exercises, grammar/mechanics checkups, and a proven diagnostic test ensure classroom efficiency.
Premium Website, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
This Premium Student Website presents unparalleled, interactive self-help resources to enhance your learning. Numerous resources assist you in developing basic grammar, mechanics, language, and writing skills. A Personal Language Trainer reviews grammar, punctuation and usage. Other resources help you retain concepts through quizzing, PowerPoint® review slides, and key point review. This Website also includes simulations, grammar/mechanics challenges and checkups, writing improvement cases, language skill tools, writing resources, videos, and more.