Request for consultation
ESSENTIALS OF BUSINESS COMMUNICATION, 9TH EDITION presents a streamlined approach to business communication that includes unparalleled resources and author support for instructors and students. ESSENTIALS OF BUSINESS COMMUNICATION provides a four-in-one learning package: authoritative text, practical workbook, self-teaching grammar/mechanics handbook, and premium Web site. Especially effective for students with outdated or inadequate language skills, the Ninth Edition offers extraordinary print and digital exercises to help students build confidence as they review grammar, punctuation, and writing guidelines. Textbook chapters teach basic writing skills and then apply these skills to a variety of e-mails, memos, letters, reports, and resumes. Realistic model documents and structured writing assignments help students build lasting workplace skills. The Ninth Edition of this award-winning text features increased coverage of electronic messages and digital media, redesigned and updated model documents to introduce students to the latest business communication practices, and extensively updated exercises and activities. Innovative technology resources including Aplia, Write Experience, CengageNOW, and a premium website, make teaching and learning business communication easier and more enjoyable.
- NEW! Integrated Coverage of Digital Tools and Social Media. Chapter 5, Electronic Messages and Digital Media, offers expansive coverage of digital tools in today's increasingly connected workplace. This coverage helps students become accomplished communicators in today's digital workplace. Plus, every chapter has been thoroughly researched and updated to acquaint students with the latest trends in workplace communication, including social media.
- NEW! Abundant Exercises and Activities. Extensively updated end-of-chapter exercises and activities provide a plethora of fresh, relevant activities for students to develop new skills. These exercises help students polish writing skills while creating an understanding of workplace communication challenges. Accurate, comprehensive solutions for all exercises are included in the Instructor's Manual.
- NEW! Expanded, Premium Website. A long-time leader in providing innovative, online resources, Guffey-Loewy has expanded the premium Web site to include robust resources that enhance student learning and provide resources to enrich lectures. New workplace simulations help students gain real-world training through interactive case studies. KnowNow offers continuously updated news stories that are organized by business communication topic. Designed to demonstrate career relevance, each news story includes discussion questions and assignments.
- NEW! A new Editing Challenge exercise at the end of each chapter sharpens students' skills in editing. Students learn to edit for wordiness, spelling, proofreading, commas, semicolons, colons, apostrophes, grammar, and other potential writing challenges.
- NEW! CengageNOW. CengageNOW is an online teaching and learning resource that gives you more control in less time & delivers better outcomes – NOW. CengageNOW provides all of your teaching and learning resources in one intuitive program organized around the essential activities you perform for class – lecturing, creating assignments, grading, quizzing, and tracking student progress and performance. It features personalized study, an integrated eBook, and much more!
- Aplia's auto-graded problem sets engage students, test their comprehension, and ensure students can apply knowledge of key chapter concepts. Aplia also provides a grammar tutorial that provides additional practice outside of the classroom.
- Writing Plans help students get started quickly in organizing and formatting messages. This hallmark feature summarizes the steps in creating every type of business writing.
- Office Insiders accentuate the importance of communication skills and demonstrate how excellent skills translate into career success.
- Write Experience. Cengage Learning's Write Experience offers students the opportunity to improve their writing and critical thinking skills without adding to an instructor's workload. Write Experience utilizes artificial intelligence to not only score student writing instantly and accurately, but also provide students with detailed revision goals and feedback on their writing to help them improve.
1. Communication Skills as Career Filters.
Unit II: THE BUSINESS WRITING PROCESS.
2. Planning Business Messages.
3. Composing Business Messages.
4. Revising Business Messages.
Unit III: WORKPLACE MESSAGES.
5. Electronic Messages and Digital Media.
6. Positive Messages.
7. Bad News Messages.
8. Persuasive and Sales Messages.
Unit IV: BUSINESS REPORTS.
9. Informal Reports.
10. Proposals and Formal Reports.
Unit V: PROFESSIONALISM AND TEAM, MEETING, AND PRESENTATION SKILLS.
11. Business Etiquette, Ethics, Teamwork, and Meetings.
12. Business Presentations.
Unit VI: EMPLOYMENT COMMUNICATION.
13. The Job Search, Résumés, and Cover Letters.
14. Interviewing and Following Up.
Appendix A: Document Formats.
Appendix B: Proofreading and Corrections Symbols.
Appendix C: Citation and Documentation Formats.
Key to Grammar/Mechanics Checkups.
"I absolutely LOVE Mary Ellen's Essentials of Business Communication textbook and how it relates to student learning. (Please excuse the gushiness!) The text is easy to use, has clear learning objectives, offers correlated materials, provides excellent PowerPoint applications, includes easy-to-use unit exams, and details great cases."
"The online resources that accompany Essentials of Business Communication are excellent. The resources, especially the language trainer, give the students immediate feedback. As we all know, immediate feedback is crucial in the learning process. Also, as a teacher, it frees my time to devote to assisting students on other things."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
An updated, certified Test Bank offers a wide variety of questions for every chapter. Each question is tagged with the corresponding page reference, difficulty level, topic, AACSB competency, and Bloom's Taxonomy. It is also available via a new online testing system, powered by Cognero®. This online tool allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions. You can also create multiple test versions in an instant and easily deliver tests from your LMS to your classroom, or other locations.
Expand your students' understanding and streamline class preparation with the numerous instructor and student resources available on this edition's robust companion website. Easily download password-protected instructor resources, including the Solution's Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint® slides. Students can review concepts using PowerPoint® slides, online quizzes, and other interactive learning tools.
Annotated Instructor's Edition
The Instructor's Edition includes an answer key to provide you with an easy-to-read, all-in-one manual from which to teach. In-text answers to all end-of-chapter review questions, writing improvement exercises, grammar/mechanics checkups, and a proven diagnostic test ensure classroom efficiency.
Premium Website, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
This Premium Student Website presents unparalleled, interactive self-help resources to enhance your learning. Numerous resources assist you in developing basic grammar, mechanics, language, and writing skills. A Personal Language Trainer reviews grammar, punctuation and usage. Other resources help you retain concepts through quizzing, PowerPoint® review slides, and key point review. This Website also includes simulations, grammar/mechanics challenges and checkups, writing improvement cases, language skill tools, writing resources, videos, and more.