Request for consultation
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE inspires and equips students to make a difference for the world. Featuring sustainability as their central theme, authors Tyler Miller and Scott Spoolman emphasize natural capital, natural capital degradation, solutions, trade-offs, and the importance of individuals. As a result, students learn how nature works, how they interact with it, and how humanity has sustained—and can continue to sustain—its relationship with the earth by applying nature's lessons to economies and individual lifestyles. Engaging features like "Core Case Studies, and "Connections" boxes demonstrate the relevance of issues and encourage critical thinking. Updated with new learning tools, the latest content, and an enhanced art program, this highly flexible book allows instructors to vary the order of chapters and sections within chapters to meet the needs of their courses. Two new active learning features conclude each chapter. "Doing Environmental Science" offers project ideas based on chapter content that build critical thinking skills and integrate scientific method principles. "Global Environmental Watch" offers online learning activities through the Global Environment Watch website, helping students connect the book's concepts to current real-world issues.
- "Doing Environmental Science" offers project ideas based on chapter content. The projects build critical thinking skills and integrate scientific method principles.
- "Global Environment Watch" offers online learning activities through the Global Environment Watch website, helping students connect the book's concepts to current real-world issues.
- "Explore More" is a comprehensive online library of case studies and short articles on important environmental science topics. Instructors and students can easily access over 150 short articles to augment course discussions, expand reading assignments, or include in student projects.
- Updated with the latest content and an enhanced art program.
- CENTRAL THEME OF SUSTAINABILITY: Three clearly explained principles of sustainability (solar energy, chemical cycling, and biodiversity) are integrated throughout every chapter and take students through the practical steps they can take toward more sustainable lifestyles. Icons highlight sustainability throughout the text.
- PERSONAL RELEVANCE: "What Can You Do?" boxes describe how students can make a difference.
- REAL DATA: A quantitative "Data Analysis" or "Ecological Footprint Analysis" exercise at the end of each chapter enable you to focus on human impact through analysis of emissions data, population data, and other current real-life statistics. New "Data and Map Analysis" exercises have also been added to the accompanying online resources.
- KEY CONCEPTS: "Three Big Ideas" at the end of each chapter summarize the three most important ideas of each chapter.
1. Environmental Problems, Their Causes, and Sustainability.
ECOLOGY AND SUSTAINABILITY.
2. Science, Matter, and Energy.
3. Ecosystems: What Are They and How Do They Work?
4. Biodiversity and Evolution.
5. Biodiversity, Species Interactions, and Population Control.
6. The Human Population and Urbanization.
7. Climate and Biodiversity.
8. Sustaining Biodiversity: The Species Approach.
9. Sustaining Biodiversity: The Ecosystem Approach.
SUSTAINING RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY.
10. Food, Soil, and Pest Management.
11. Water Resources and Water Pollution.
12. Geology and Nonrenewable Minerals.
14. Environmental Hazards and Human Health.
15. Air Pollution, Climate Change, and Ozone Depletion.
16. Solid and Hazardous Waste.
SUSTAINING HUMAN SOCIETIES.
17. Environmental Economics, Politics, and Worldviews.
Supplement 1: Measurement Units
Supplement 2: Reading Graphs and Maps
Supplement 3: An Overview of U.S. Environmental History
Supplement 4: Some Basic Chemistry
Supplement 5: Weather Basics: El Niño, Tornadoes, and Tropical Cyclones
Supplement 6: Maps
Supplement 7: Environmental Data and Data Analysis
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.