Request for consultation
For more than 25 years, students have relied on this trusted text for easy-to-read, comprehensive drafting and design instruction that complies with the latest ANSI and ASME industry standards for mechanical drafting. The Sixth Edition of ENGINEERING DRAWING AND DESIGN continues this tradition of excellence with a multitude of real, high-quality industry drawings and more than 1,000 drafting, design, and practical application problems—including many new to the current edition. The text showcases actual product designs in all phases, from concept through manufacturing, marketing, and distribution. In addition, the engineering design process now features new material related to production practices that eliminate waste in all phases, and the authors describe practices to improve process output quality by using quality management methods to identify the causes of defects, remove them, and minimize manufacturing variables.
- The Sixth Edition of this trusted text has been carefully updated to reflect the latest ANSI and ASME standards for mechanical drafting, allowing students to gain familiarity with key industry standards they will encounter as professionals.
- The authors have updated content related to computer-aided design and drafting (CADD), as well as additive manufacturing (AM), providing valuable, current coverage of these important topics.
- The new edition features expanded content in key areas relevant for today’s professionals, including geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) and engineering design process applications based on real-world scenarios.
- To prepare students for successful careers in a highly competitive industry environment, the engineering design process more strongly emphasizes production practices that can eliminate waste and apply quality management methods to improve process output quality.
- This highly practical text features an abundance of real industry drawings and more than 1,000 problems incorporating drafting, design, and application elements based on relevant real-world scenarios.
- Unmatched in its thorough coverage, this wide-ranging text explores all phases of product design, from concept through manufacturing, marketing, and distribution.
- In addition to traditional exercises to help students assess their knowledge and apply key concepts, the text includes team problems suitable for use as projects to foster leadership and cooperation, as well as PowerPoint® presentation problems that allow students to create their own presentation slides related to chapter content.
- Drawing on decades of expertise as drafting professionals and educators, the authors provide clear, effective coverage of topics such as 2D and 3D CADD, sketching, solid modeling, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, parametric applications, manufacturing materials and processes, working drawings, technical illustrations, welding, precision sheet metal, HVAC, pattern development, electrical and electronics, pipe drafting, civil drafting, descriptive geometry, fluid power, engineering drawing and design math applications, and more.
1. Introduction to Engineering Drawing and Design.
2. Drafting Equipment, Media, and Reproduction Methods.
3. Computer-Aided Design and Drafting (CADD).
4. Manufacturing Materials and Processes.
Part II: FUNDAMENTAL APPLICATIONS.
5. Sketching Applications.
6. Lines and Lettering.
7. Drafting Geometry.
Part III: DRAWING VIEWS AND ANNOTATIONS.
9. Auxiliary Views.
10. Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
11. Fasteners and Springs.
12. Sections, Revolutions, and Conventional Breaks.
13. Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
14. Pictorial Drawings and Technical Illustrations.
Part IV: WORKING DRAWINGS.
15. Working Drawings.
16. Mechanisms: Linkages, Cams, Gears, and Bearings.
17. Belt and Chain Drives.
18. Welding Processes and Representations.
Section V: SPECIALTY DRAFTING AND DESIGN.
19. Precision Sheet Metal Drafting.
20. Electrical and Electronics Drafting.
21. Industrial Process Pipe Drafting.
22. Structural Drafting.
23. Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning (HVAC).
24. Civil Drafting.
Part VI: ENGINEERING DESIGN.
25. The Engineering Design Process.
Engineering Drawing and Design Student Companion Website.
Descriptive Geometry I.
Descriptive Geometry II.
Engineering Charts and Graphs.
Engineering Drawing and Design Math Applications.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Student Companion Website
This website provides a variety of resources to help students review for class, including chapter tests and problems, appendices, reference material, and drawing exercises.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.