Request for consultation
In their own classrooms, through their popular texts, and in the conferences they lead, Robert Johnson and Patricia Kuby have inspired hundreds of thousands of students and their instructors to see the utility and practicality of statistics. Now in its Eleventh Edition, ELEMENTARY STATISTICS has been consistently praised by users and reviewers for its clear exposition and relevant examples, exercises, and applications. A focus on technology to help students succeed--including MINITAB®, Excel®, and TI-83/84 output and instructions throughout--is enhanced by a wealth of supplements that save instructors time and give students interactive guidance and support. All this and more have established this text's reputation for being remarkably accessible for students to learn from--and simple and straightforward for instructors to teach from.
- New chapter-opening vignettes--More than 50% of the book's chapter-opening vignettes, each of which focuses on an everyday aspect of life, are new. Illustrated with statistical information, each chapter opener provides a relevant, familiar context for students' initial step into the concepts covered in the chapter.
- New applied examples--Nearly 20% of the text's applied examples are new or updated to help engage student interest. Enhanced step-by-step solutions present key statistical concepts in a clear progression.
- Over 20% new and updated exercises--21% of the exercises are new or updated to reflect current events and other timely topics that involve the use of statistics.
- Chapter 6, "Normal Probability Distributions," has been completely rewritten to present the Standard Normal Distribution utilizing the cumulative area approach, incorporating a more intuitive idea with respect to the total area under a curve and following more closely the format used with calculators and statistical software. To support this change, a new, corresponding two-page Table 3, "Cumulative Areas of the Standard Normal Distribution," is included among the tables at the back of the text.
- Statistics CourseMate--This new online resource provides a rich array of interactive and supplementary material to accompany the text, including an eBook version of the text. For more information, see the full description under Supplements.
- Solution Builder for ELEMENTARY STATISTICS, 11th Edition--This new instructor resource provides fully worked-out solutions to all text exercises in customizable online format. For more information, see the full description under Supplements.
- Aplia™ online homework for ELEMENTARY STATISTICS, 11th Edition--Aplia is a premium online homework system dedicated to improving learning by increasing student effort and engagement. For more information, see the full description under Supplements.
- Flexible organization and integrated, up-to-date technology instructions--The p-value and classical approaches to hypothesis testing are initially introduced separately and thereafter presented side-by-side, to both emphasize their comparability and allow a wide range of teaching approaches. Similarly, descriptive regression and correlation are covered early (Chapter 3), and MINITAB®, Excel®, and the TI-83/84 graphing calculator instructions are found throughout the text instead of being relegated to end-of-chapter material or appendices.
- Engaging and purposeful chapter reviews and abundant exercises--In addition to the extensive exercises that appear throughout each chapter, each chapter concludes with an "In Retrospect" summary, a vocabulary and key concept index, a guide to the chapter's learning outcomes, and a wealth of additional exercises as well as a practice test. Outcomes are correlated to specific sections and exercises within the chapter, giving students another means of evaluating their mastery of each topic.
- Introductory concepts and review lessons--Coverage of and exercises for introductory concepts including summation notation, round-off procedure, tree diagrams, and factorial notation (written by text co-author Patricia Kuby) is provided at the back of the book along with a separate answer section to support students.
- Emphasis on interpretation of statistical information and real applications--Starting in Chapter 1, when students learn key terms and procedures; in Chapter 4, "Probability," where analysis rather than formula is highlighted; and continuing throughout the text, the authors emphasize the role of interpretation in statistical analysis. Examples and exercises feature real applications of statistics, and chapter-opening vignettes enhance the relevance of the material for students. Critical thinking exercises throughout chapters further support the book's practical, proven approach.
- Skillbuilder Applet exercises and interactive video skillbuilders--These exercises give students increased opportunities for hands-on learning and shift their attention from simply memorizing formulas and concepts to actively internalizing the behavior of concepts and interpreting data. Created to help students build the foundational skills they need, the online videos provide step-by-step instruction, walking students through key examples from the text.
2. Descriptive Analysis and Presentation of Single-Variable Data.
3. Descriptive Analysis and Presentation of Bivariate Data.
Part II: PROBABILITY.
5. Probability Distributions (Discrete Variables).
6. Normal Probability Distributions.
7. Sample Variability.
Part III: INFERENTIAL STATISTICS.
8. Introduction to Statistical Inferences.
9. Inferences Involving One Population.
10. Inferences Involving Two Populations.
Part IV: MORE INFERENTIAL STATISTICS.
11. Applications of Chi-Square.
12. Analysis of Variance.
13. Linear Correlation and Regression.
14. Elements of Nonparametric Statistics.
Appendix A: Basic Principles of Counting.
Appendix B: Tables.
Answers to Odd-Numbered Exercises.
Answers to Chapter Practice Tests.
Index for Applications.
Index for Computer and Calculator Instructions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Student Solutions Manual
This manual contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Statistics CourseMate with eBook Instant Access Code
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning’s Statistics CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Online quizzes, conceptual applets for the Skillbuilder exercises in the book, videos, and a multimedia eBook give students dynamic tools for hands-on learning. Technology Manuals for Microsoft Excel®, MINITAB®, and TI-84 Plus calculators help students harness the problem-solving power of statistics technology with instruction on how to use these tools, coverage correlated directly to the text, and lab activities that make full use of each package. In addition, there’s a Data Analysis Plus ad-in to enhance Excel functionality. Downloadable datasets (in the native file formats for each software and calculator model covered by the Technology Manuals) are also provided for every real-data problem marked in the book. The instructors-only area of CourseMate includes a number of additional classroom aids.
Student Solutions Manual
Want to make sure your answers are correct and that you took the correct steps to arrive at them? This manual, which contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, helps you do just that.
Statistics CourseMate with eBook Instant Access Code
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.