Request for consultation
Packed with practical lab experiments that give readers a hands-on approach to learning, ELECTRONICS FOR ELECTRICIANS, 7e was written specifically for the electrician working in an industrial environment confronted with power electronic equipment, such as variable frequency drives, rectifiers, DC drives, and other equipment dependent on electronic components. Offering comprehensive coverage of electronic components common to industry, the text explains how they work, how to use them, and how to test them. The Seventh Edition is a relevant guide for anyone preparing for a career in industrial settings. It includes up-to-date graphics, detailed examples, and expanded coverage of such key topics as light emitting diodes and spike and surge suppression. Review questions and problems in every chapter expose students to common electronic devices and their circuit applications, while hands-on lab exercises enable students to put what they learn into practice.
- Completely revised, ELECTRONICS FOR ELECTRICIANS, 7e is packed with updated graphics and examples that reflect the latest developments and practices from the field.
- Additional information on spike and surge suppression has been added to provide students with more in-depth coverage.
- All laboratory exercises now include a Foreword, giving students a thorough introduction to their lab work to help them focus on key topics and gain a solid understanding of the concepts they are putting into practice.
- New coverage of light emitting diodes gives students additional insight into this sometimes complex topic.
- A step-by-step guide to Testing Solid-State Components in the Appendix makes this text a ready reference for technicians.
- Hands-on, practical applications of the concepts are provided through labs in the back of the book.
- Coverage includes information on decimal, binary, octal, and hexadecimal number systems as well as the test instruments commonly used to measure values in an electronic circuit.
- An eight-page color insert with resistor color codes is included to help readers identify resistors.
1. The Oscilloscope.
3. Power Rating and Heat Sinking Components.
4. Junction Diodes.
5. Light-Emitting-Diodes (LEDs) and Photodiodes.
6. Single-Phase Rectifiers.
7. The Polyphase Rectifier.
9. Special Diodes.
10. The Transistor.
11. The Transistor Switch.
12. The Transistor Amplifier.
13. The Darlington Amplifier.
14. Field Effect Transistors.
15. Current Generators.
16. The Unijunction Transistor.
17. The SCR in a DC Circuit.
18. The SCR in an AC Current.
19. Phase Shifting an SCR.
20. UJT Phase Shifting for an SCR.
21. SCR Control of a Full-Wave Rectifier.
22. A Solid-State Alarm with Battery Backup.
23. The Diac and Silicon Bilateral Switch.
24. The Triac.
25. Phase Shifting the Triac.
26. Other Methods of AC Voltage Control.
27. The Solid-State Relay.
28. The Oscillator.
29. The DC to DC Voltage Double.
30. The Off-Delay Timer.
31. The On-Delay Timer.
32. The Pulse Timer.
33. The 555 Timer.
34. The 555 Timer Used as an Oscillator.
35. The 555 On-Delay Timer.
36. The 555 Pulse Timer.
37. Above and Below-Ground Power Supplies.
38. The Operational Amplifier.
39. The 741 Op Amp Level Detector.
40. The 741 Operational Amplifier Used as an Oscillator.
41. Voltage Regulators.
42. Digital Logic.
43. The Bounceless Switches. Circuit Applications.
44. Design of Circuit #1 (Photodetector).
45. Design of Circuit #2 (Animal Feeder).
46. Design of Circuit #3 (Solid-State Pushbutton Control).
47. Design of Circuit #4 (Electronic Locks).
48. Design of Circuit #5 (Solid-State Thermostat).
Appendix A: Testing Solid-State Components.
Procedure 1: Testing a Diode.
Procedure 2: Testing a Transistor.
Procedure 3: Testing a Unijunction Transistor.
Procedure 4: Testing a SCR.
Procedure 5: Testing a Triac.
Appendix B: Ohm's Law Formulas.
Appendix C: Parts List.
Appendix D: Schematic Symbols.
Appendix E: Conversation Factors for Sine-Wave Voltages.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.