Request for consultation
Provide your students with the basic electrical principles necessary to understand today's modern control systems with this fully updated edition of Smith's ELECTRICITY FOR REFRIGERATION, HEATING, AND AIR CONDITIONING. Acclaimed for its meticulous accuracy and easy-to-understand presentation, the book takes a practical approach that allows your students to focus exclusively on the electronics information they will use in the field, without bogging them down in unnecessary theory. This 40th Anniversary edition continues to emphaize systematic diagnosis and troubleshooting methods and procedures that enable students to become highly-skilled, professional HVAC-R service technicians.
- A new section on communication thermostats and their use in the industry covers the latest technology and types of equipment.
- Zone control systems are covered in greater detail.
- New questions reinforce mastery of new information on communication thermostats and zone control systems.
- The schematic diagram section has been streamlined to cover only current control systems.
- The Safety section has been expanded and enhanced with more coverage, more detail, and new art.
- A new web-based, immersive 3D HVAC training simulation that connects with selective diagrams and schematics from the book in a visually compelling manner is now available.
- Coverage of contactors, relays, thermostats, pressure and manual switches, overload, and other state-of-the-art electrical components prepare readers for work in the field today.
- Learning aids in every chapter include learning objectives, definitions of key terms, summaries, and review questions to increase comprehension and improve retention.
- Photos and illustrations throughout the book encourage readers to apply information directly to modern equipment, components and control systems.
- Symbols are introduced and used consistently.
- An accompanying Lab Manual includes a unit overview, list of key terms, review test, and lab exercises when appropriate for each chapter.
- An Instructor's Guide on the Instructor Resource Site contains short description of the material covered in each chapter; unit objectives; safety notes; lab notes; answers to Review Questions in the text; answers to Troubleshooting Problems in the text; answers to review questions in the Lab Manual; and lab exercises where applicable.
- An Instructor Resource CD with PowerPoint presentations, syllabus, chapter hints, lesson plans, test banks, and an image gallery is available to adopters.
- The book provides especially strong coverage of installation and troubleshooting, as well as the basics of electricity and circuits—all with HVAC applications.
- Schematic diagrams of twelve specific applications used in industry are explored, enabling readers to become expert troubleshooters.
- In-depth discussion of the types, designs, starting components, diagnosis, and troubleshooting procedures for single-phase motors mirrors their importance in the industry.
2. Basic Electricity.
3. Electric Circuits.
4. Electric Meters.
5. Components, Symbols and Circuitry of Air Conditioning Wiring Diagrams.
6. Reading Schematic Diagrams.
7. Alternating Current, Power Distribution, and Voltage Systems.
8. Installation of Heating and Air Conditioning Systems.
9. Electric Motors.
10. Components of Electric Motors.
11. Contractors, Relays and Overloads.
12. Thermostats, Pressure Switches, and Other Electric Control Devices.
13. Electronic Control Devices.
14. Heating Control Devices.
15. Troubleshooting Electric Control Devices.
16. Residential Air Conditioning Control Systems.
17. Light Commercial Air Conditioning Control Systems.
18. Troubleshooting Refrigeration, Heating, and Air-Conditioning Control Circuits and Systems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Lab Manual is a valuable tool designed to enhance your students' lab experience. Lab activities, objectives, materials lists, step-by-step procedures, illustrations, and review questions are commonly included.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
An Instructor's Guide on the Instructor Resource Site contains short description of the material covered in each chapter; unit objectives; safety notes; lab notes; answers to Review Questions in the text; answers to Troubleshooting Problems in the text; answers to review questions in the Lab Manual; and lab exercises where applicable. Additional material on the CD includes a syllabus, chapter hints, lesson plans, chapter PPT presentations, and image gallery.
CourseMate Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch reader comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. CourseMate includes: An interactive eBook with highlighting, note taking, an interactive glossary, and interactive learning tools, including Homework, Quizzes, Flashcards, PowerPoint® presentations, and more!