Request for consultation
Teach your students the human relation skills they need to become successful managers in today's workplace with one of the most widely used human relations texts available. EFFECTIVE HUMAN RELATIONS: INTERPERSONAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL APPLICATIONS, 12E uses an organizational perspective to help students understand the disparate factors that influence employee behavior. As one of the most practical and applied texts available, EFFECTIVE HUMAN RELATIONS incorporates hundreds of examples of real human relations issues and practices in successful companies. The text establishes seven major themes of effective human relations communication, self-awareness, self-acceptance, motivation, trust, self-disclosure, and conflict resolution as the foundation for study. Self-assessments and self-development opportunities throughout the book teach students to assume responsibility for improving their personal skills and competencies. This comprehensive edition addresses topics of emerging importance with expanded coverage of generational differences. The text also explores goal setting, the root causes of negative attitudes, the use of "branding" in the job market, technostress, and emotional intelligence. With EFFECTIVE HUMAN RELATIONS, your students gain the insights, knowledge and relationship skills to deal successfully with the wide range of people-related challenges in business today. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Expanded EOC Materials: The end-of-chapter materials have been dramatically expanded and enhanced to provide even more great resources for instructors to use in helping students master key concepts, develop skills, and build self-knowledge. The authors have added new "Career Insights", new" Try Your Hand", and new "Critical Thinking Challenges". Even better, we've brought the favorite online activity, self-assessments, right into the book for convenience.
- New Cases: At least half of the opening and closing cases have been replaced with new cases, featuring such companies as SAS, BP Oil, Panda Express, and many others.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- New Step-by-Step Guidance: A new boxed feature provides straightforward "how-to" steps that guide students in mastering concepts and building skills.
- Updated Content: The authors have thoroughly revised and updated the content with the latest thinking, theories, and data on many of the most important topics of our times: cultural intelligence, current communication technologies, communication skills, self-esteem, conscious living, work-life balance, strengths and talents, moral and ethical choices, and so much more.
- New Real-world Examples: Providing real-life examples of human relations in the workplace, the authors have incorporated dozens of new examples from companies large and small. Students will recognize names like PricewaterhouseCooper, Cisco Systems, Microsoft, and Zappos, and will learn about smaller yet equally interesting companies like The Container Store, Borrego Solar Systems, Stew Leonard's Markets, the New Belgium Brewing Company, Joie de Vivre Boutiques, and many more.
- Skill Assessment and Development: Self-assessments and self-development opportunities throughout the book help students assume responsibility for improving their personal skills and competencies. Students gain the insights, knowledge and relationship skills to deal successfully with the wide range of people-related challenges in business today.
- Critical Thinking: Critical Thinking exercises asks student to apply critical thinking to specific HR challenges.
- Advice from Respected Professionals: "Total Person Insights" present thoughts, anecdotes, and advice from some of today's most respected writers, educators, and business leaders.
- Organizational Perspective: EFFECTIVE HUMAN RELATIONS: INTERPERSONAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL APPLICATIONS, 12E uses an organizational perspective to help students better understand the disparate factors that influence employee behavior.
- Practical Applications: Hundreds of examples of real human relations issues and practices from successful companies keep the principles students are learning within a practical context. "TRY YOUR HAND" activities encourage in-depth practice and thinking. "YOU PLAY THE ROLE" scenarios and engaging role-play exercises provide hands-on experience for students to practice the concepts learned in the chapter. "HUMAN RELATIONS IN ACTION" emphasize "how to" tips and practical, memorable examples from today's real organizations and businesses.
- Seven Themes of Effective Human Relations: This text establishes seven major themes of effective human relations, communication, self-awareness, self-acceptance, motivation, trust, self-disclosure, and conflict resolution as the foundation for study.
- Chapter Opening and Closing Cases: Each chapter kicks off with a "Tip of the Iceberg" vignette that engages student interest while introducing the topic. At the end of the chapter, the "Below the Surface" revisits that same example, closing the loop on the real-life example of the chapter concept it illustrated.
1. Introduction to Human Relations.
2. Improving Personal and Organizational Communications.
Part II: CAREER SUCCESS BEGINS WITH KNOWING YOURSELF.
3. Understanding Your Communication Style.
4. Building High Self-Esteem.
5. Personal Values Influence Ethical Choices.
6. Attitudes Can Shape Your Life.
7. Motivating Yourself and Others.
Part III: PERSONAL STRATEGIES FOR IMPROVING HUMAN RELATIONS.
8. Improving Interpersonal Relations with Constructive Self-Disclosure.
9. Achieving Emotional Balance in a Chaotic World.
10. Building Stronger Relationships with Positive Energy.
11. Developing a Professional Presence.
Part IV: IF WE ALL WORK TOGETHER…
12. Team Building; A Leadership Strategy.
13. Resolving Conflict and Dealing with Difficult People.
Part V: SPECIAL CHALLENGES IN HUMAN RELATIONS.
14. Responding to Personal and Work-Related Stress.
15. Valuing Work Force Diversity.
16. The Changing Roles of Men and Women.
Part VI: YOU CAN PLAN FOR SUCCESS.
17. A Life Plan for Effective Human Relations.
"The text is very readable and digestible, especially by students in applied fields. Students report every term how they are able to take some concepts and apply them at work. They are getting immediate value from the text!"
"Human Relations in Business is the course I enjoy teaching the most. I have used the Reece book for many years, and I have always liked it."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Contains DVD Guide Instructor Manual, PowerPoints, and TestBank.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Reece's Effective Human Relations: Interpersonal And Organizational Applications
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.