Request for consultation
Highly respected and now in its Sixth Edition, EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATION: CONCEPTS AND PRACTICES is the best-selling and most comprehensive text of its kind. The authors discuss all topics necessary for a complete understanding of educational administration, balancing theory and research with practical coverage of culture, change, curriculum, human resources administration, diversity, effective teaching strategies, and supervision of instruction. A variety of in-text features help students learn, comprehend, and apply the material.
- New! Chapter 12 is a new chapter devoted to equality, excellence, and education.
- New! The book presents a focused discussion on national, state, and local government in a single, condensed chapter (Chapter 9).
- New! In "Words of Advice," a reworked version of the former "Exemplary Educational Administrators in Action" feature, administrators nationwide provide tips on how to excel.
- New! Chapter 10, "School Finance and Productivity," covers changes in school budgets since the 2008 recession as well as costly environmental issues such as volatile organic compounds.
- New! Chapter 7, "Communication," now includes Web-enabled forms of communication, including text messages, blogs, and presentation tools.
- New! Theoretical coverage now includes more detailed discussion of turning theories into practice.
- New! Increased attention to English Language Learners is provided throughout text.
- New! Coverage of the Obama administration as it relates to education is incorporated throughout text.
- The authors maintain an appropriate balance of theory to practice, using an impressive research base that is grounded by well-chosen examples and practical advice.
- "Focusing Questions" at the beginning of each chapter alert readers to the major issues to be covered.
- "Administrative Advice" provides practical tips for educational administrators, including checklists, guidelines, and suggestions.
- "PRO/CON Debates" in each chapter illustrate opposing perspectives on major issues encountered by educational administrators.
- Current topics such as gender issues, minorities in education, career information, human resource management, and total quality management are discussed.
- "Key Terms" and "Discussion Questions" at the end of each chapter encourage comprehension and application of concepts.
- The Companion Website includes a selection of career resources for aspiring educational administrators and Administrative Case Studies to help strengthen students' analytical and critical thinking skills.
- The book is lauded for its comprehensiveness--no other Introduction to Educational Administration text provides as much breadth and depth of coverage.
1. Development of Administrative Theory.
2. Organizational Structure.
3. Organizational Culture.
PART II: ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSES.
6. Decision Making.
8. Organizational Change.
PART III: THE STRUCTURAL FRAMEWORK FOR EDUCATION.
9. Government and Education.
10. School Finance and Productivity.
11. Legal Considerations and Education.
PART IV: ADMINISTRATION OF PROGRAMS AND SERVICES.
12. Curriculum Development and Implementation.
13. Analyzing and Improving Teaching.
14. Personnel Administration.
15. Careers in Educational Administration.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Education Media Library, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access