Request for consultation
Introduce the latest thinking of today's economists on important microeconomic and macroeconomic phenomena while equipping your students with a solid global understanding of basic economic principles with Boyes/Melvin's popular ECONOMICS, 9E. This latest edition's reader-friendly writing style, carefully integrated learning features, and emphasis on global economics help to clearly illustrate the connections between key economic principles and today's actual business practices. This edition's updates, timely revisions and memorable examples ensure you are teaching using the latest economic statistics and developments. Revised microeconomics materials emphasize the fundamentals and practical application of current events, while new macroeconomics coverage highlights the recent financial crisis and its global implications. Your students gain in-depth understanding of globalization -- one of today's most significant business issues -- and its impact on economic growth and poverty. Cutting-edge teaching and learning technology and a full range of supplements, including the world-leading Aplia™ homework system and CourseMate online tools, help you create a complete economics program that clarifies and emphasizes the importance of economic concepts for career and business success throughout the world.
- UPDATED ECONOMIC INSIGHT BOXES EMPHASIZE THE RELEVANCE OF CONCEPTS TO CURRENT EVENTS. Fresh new Economic Insights throughout this edition highlight some of today's most current events to focus readers' attention on the relevance and real-world applications of the concepts in the chapter. These engaging features help students carefully consider a wide range of topics from an informed economic perspective.
- NEW AND UPDATED ECONOMICALLY SPEAKING AND COMMENTARY FEATURES HIGHLIGHT THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF TODAY'S MOST IMPORTANT WORLD EVENTS. Introduce your students to recent newspaper and magazine articles that highlight important world events and their economic causes and consequences in updated and new Economically Speaking and Commentary features at the end of each chapter. These familiar, interesting, and memorable examples help your students appreciate the importance of the material they are learning in your course.
- THE LATEST ECONOMIC STATISTICS THROUGHOUT THIS EDITION ENSURE YOU ARE TEACHING YOUR STUDENTS USING THE MOST CONTEMPORARY INFORMATION. Updates, numerous additions and timely revisions throughout all parts of this new edition represent the latest thinking from leading economists on important macroeconomic and microeconomic phenomena.
- NEW COVERAGE HIGHLIGHTS THE RECENT FINANCIAL CRISIS AND ITS GLOBAL IMPLICATIONS. The authors have condensed the introduction, while providing abundant important coverage of the recent financial crisis as well as the associated recession and the central bank policies to counter its impact. A new section emphasizes how the financial crisis began in the United States before spreading globally.
- REVISED MICROECONOMIC COVERAGE FURTHER CLARIFIES THE FUNDAMENTALS AND THEIR APPLICATION TO CURRENT EVENTS. New meaningful examples, extensive revisions to the chapter on elasticity, further development of the debate on government economic intervention, and a new discussion of the Economic Freedom Index ensure students better understand microeconomics concepts. This edition also offers additional coverage of game theory, updated information on health care costs, and a detailed examination of income distribution.
- OPTIONAL COURSEMATE ONLINE RESOURCES SUPPORT INTERACTIVE LEARNING AND CLASS ENGAGEMENT. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed text and this new, optional text-specific website. This ECONOMICS CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools. CourseMate steps beyond the book to deliver an interactive eBook and engaging teaching and learning tools, including quizzes, flashcards, videos, and more. Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool, helps you monitor student engagement in your course.
- LEADING APLIA™ ONLINE HOMEWORK SYSTEM INCREASES STUDENT EFFORTS AND ENGAGEMENT. The most successful online product for economics is now fully integrated with this text. Aplia™ offers interactive tools to help prepare your economics students and increase student effort and engagement--without requiring more work from you, the instructor. Students stay on top of coursework with regularly scheduled homework assignments while Aplia's high quality automatic grading provides detailed, immediate feedback.
- UNIQUE, PROVEN LEARNING FEATURES IMPROVE COMPREHENSION AND STUDENT PERFORMANCE. This popular text's one-of-a-kind, proven pedagogical program helps improve both comprehension and performance. Students attain the knowledge and skills to succeed in class and to develop an understanding of core economic principles essential for success throughout their careers.
- FUNDAMENTAL QUESTIONS DIRECT STUDENTS' FOCUS TO KEY ISSUES. As students read and prepare for class, this book's useful Fundamental Questions for each chapter help direct students' attention to key issues. Chapter summaries and the book's supplements further reinforce these themes and effectively guide students' study.
- CONVENIENT, INTEGRATED REFERENCING SYSTEM ENABLES STUDENTS TO WORK EFFICIENTLY. With this book's integrated referencing system, students can easily explore and review the topics they need more, allowing them to work more efficiently and effectively.
1. Economics: The World Around You.
Appendix: working with Graphs.
2. Choice, Opportunity Costs, and Specialization.
3. Markets, Demand and Supply, and the Price System.
4. The Market System and the Private and Public Sectors.
Part II: MACROECONOMIC BASICS.
5. National Income Accounting.
6. An Introduction to the Foreign Exchange market and the Balance of Payments.
7. Unemployment and Inflation.
8. Macroeconomic Equilibrium: Aggregate Demand and Supply.
9. Aggregate Expenditures.
Appendix: An Algebraic Model of Aggregate Expenditures.
10. Income and Expenditures Equilibrium.
Appendix: An Algebraic Model of Income and Expenditures Equilibrium.
Part III: MACROECONOMIC POLICY.
11. Fiscal Policy.
Appendix: An Algebraic Examination of the Balanced-Budget Change in Fiscal Policy.
12. Money and Banking.
13. Monetary Policy.
14. Macroeconomic Policy: Tradeoffs, Expectations, Credibility, and Sources of Business Cycles.
15. Macroeconomic Viewpoints: New Keynesian, Monetarist, and New Classical.
16. Economic Growth.
17. Development Economies.
Part IV: PRODUCT MARKET BASICS.
19. Elasticity: Demand and Supply.
Appendix: Calculating Elasticity.
20. Consumer Choice.
Appendix: Indifference Analysis.
21. Supply: The Costs of Doing Business.
Appendix: The Mechanics of Going from Production to Costs.
Part V: PRODUCT MARKETS.
22. Profit Maximization.
23. Perfect Competition.
25. Monopolistic Competition and Oligopoly.
26. Antitrust and Regulation.
27. Government and Market Failure.
Part VI: RESOURCE MARKETS.
28. Resource Markets.
29. The Labor Market.
30. Capital Markets.
31. The Land Market and Natural Resources.
Part VII: CURRENT ISSUES INVOLVING THE PUBLIC SECTOR AND THE MARKET ECONOMY.
32. Aging, Social Security, and Health Care.
33. Income Distribution, Poverty, and Government Policy.
Part VIII: ISSUES IN INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND FINANCE.
34. World Trade Equilibrium.
35. International Trade Restrictions.
36. Exchange Rates and Financial Links Between Countries.