Request for consultation
Created through a "student-tested, faculty-approved" review process from nearly 70 students and faculty, EARTH is an engaging and accessible solution to accommodate the diverse lifestyles of today's learners at a value-based price. EARTH presents a rich overview of all Earth-related disciplines--from geology, hydrology, and oceanography to meteorology and astronomy. EARTH explores the physical attributes of planet Earth and its environment, emphasizing the human choices we have made, and exploring the physical consequences of those choices in the context of Earth systems.
- An innovative combination of content delivery both in print and online provides a core text and a wealth of comprehensive multimedia teaching and learning assets based on input from student focus groups and surveys, and from interviews with nearly 70 faculty and students.
- Special topics are highlighted and further discussed in focus boxes throughout the text. In a survey course where many subjects are introduced, it can be refreshing for the student to have an option to read in-depth discussion on topics of interest, and focus boxes range from traditional Earth science topics to current, environmental case studies.
- Shorter, comprehensive chapters in a modern design present content in a more engaging and accessible format without minimizing coverage for your course.
- Chapter In Review Cards at the back of the Student Editions provide students a portable study tool containing all of the pertinent information for class preparation.
- Instructor Prep Cards at the back of the Instructor's Edition make preparation simple with detachable cards for each chapter, offering a quick map of chapter content, a list of corresponding PowerPoint and video resources, additional examples, and suggested assignments and discussion questions to help you organize chapter content efficiently.
- A full suite of unique learning tools that appeal to different learning styles is available to students with the purchase of a new book. Practice quizzes, virtual field trips, flashcards, animations, videos, and more are only a click away.
- All of the content and resources you expect with a supplements package that is second to none including: PowerPoint lectures, JPEG images, test bank, videos, and more.
- Environmental issues are integrated throughout the text in both the authoritative narrative and stunning multipart visuals that emphasize the beauty of Earth science.
- "Earth Systems Interactions" graphics highlight how a given process interacts with other Earth systems, emphasizing the interconnectivity of the Earth's four spheres (geosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere, biosphere).
- EARTH devotes a full chapter to climate change, placing modern climate change within the context of the broad ebb and flow of climate change over the 4.6 billion years of Earth history. The authors begin the chapter with a review of past climates throughout geologic deep time and then discuss the warming trend of the past 150 years within this broader context.
Unit I: EARTH MATERIALS AND TIME.
4. Geologic Time: A Story in the Rocks.
5. Geologic Resources.
Unit II: INTERNAL PROCESSES.
6. The Active Earth: Plate Tectonics.
7. Earthquakes and the Earth's Structure.
8. Volcanoes and Plutons.
Unit III: SURFACE PROCESSES.
10. Weathering, Soil, and Erosion.
11. Fresh Water: Streams, Lakes, Ground Water, and Wetlands.
12. Water Resources.
13. Glaciers and Ice Ages.
14. Deserts and Wind.
Unit IV: THE OCEANS.
15. Ocean Basins.
16. Oceans and Coastlines.
Unit V: THE ATMOSPHERE.
17. The Atmosphere.
18. Energy Balance in the Atmosphere.
19. Moisture, Clouds, and Weather.
21. Climate Change.
(ONLINE ONLY) Unit VI: ASTRONOMY.
(ONLINE ONLY) 22. Motions in the Heavens.
(ONLINE ONLY) 23. Planets and their Moons.
(ONLINE ONLY) 24. Stars, Space, and Galaxies.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need! Includes the complete suite of 15 Virtual Field Trips in Geology.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes—online with CourseMate. Includes 15 Virtual Field Trips in Geology.