Request for consultation
E-LEARNING COMPANION serves as a resource and quick-reference guide for any course that demands technology skills. In addition to helping students adapt previously mastered skills--such as time management, note-taking, and critical thinking--to the online environment, this text shows students how social networking, cloud file storage, wikis, and blogs can be utilized appropriately and effectively in a college course. Technical terminology and how-to tutorials help students become more capable and flexible online learners, and build skills that will support them throughout college and their future careers. The Fourth Edition is fully updated to be current and relevant for today's online learning environments, and also includes new Workplace Applications, and coverage of professional behavior and professional emails.
- A new Chapter 1, Get Engaged in Your Learning, offers an introduction to modern study strategies that apply online, in the traditional classroom, in workplace training, or anywhere in between.
- New and Updated Resources on the E-Learning Companion Instructor Companion Website include an answer key for the chapter activities in the book, guidance on using the Tutorials, Integration Guides for using the E-Learning Companion along with other Cengage College Success titles, and links to additional instructor resources are available.
- New Workplace Applications provide examples of how the same strategies that improve learning in college can improve performance in the workplace.
- New Emerging e-learning technologies such as social networking, online file sharing, cloud file storage, wikis, and blogs are discussed throughout the book.
- A new Quick Reference Guide on Writing Skills has practical tips for improving the quality of written assignments.
- A new E-mail Checklist in Chapter 6 offers a valuable tool for students to ensure that their communications are professional and appropriate.
- A new Professional Behavior Checklist in Chapter 6 includes reminders that apply equally in college as they do the workplace.
- A new section on Search vs. Research describes how both sets of skills can help improve information literacy.
- A new Technology Contingency Planning Worksheet has been added in Chapter 3.
- New Resources on the E-Learning Companion CourseMate include links to numerous topics ranging from plagiarism and personal safety to time management and troubleshooting technology problems.
- Try Something New features identify tools and techniques that you and your students can use to improve communications, manage time, share resources, and stay organized.
- Tips for Online Security and Privacy have been updated and expanded in Chapter 4.
- Tips for Using Apps on a smart phone (such as iPhone, Android, or BlackBerry), tablet or iPad to improve study skills have been expanded.
- The E-Learning Readiness Self-Assessment helps students evaluate their readiness for online success. Students can use the self-assessment to guide their own preparation. Alternatively, instructors can use the quiz as a group evaluation for identifying which e-learning study skills they should emphasize in their course.
- Student-to-Student Tips are recommendations based on the experiences of students from around the world who have completed online course assignments and activities.
- Quick Reference Guide offers a variety of tips and recommendations on such topics as e-mail, online discussion boards, listservs, online exams, and e-research in one convenient place.
- How-To Tutorials provide students with step-by-step instructions for completing many of the online skills that are discussed in the text.
2. Selecting the Right Opportunities for Success Online.
3. Create a Plan for Online Success.
4. Technology Tips for Online Students.
5. Time Management Strategies.
6. Developing Positive Online Relationships.
7. E-Learning Vocabulary.
8. Maintaining Motivation in an Online Course.
Quick Reference Guide.
"The E-Learning Companion is the most concise and useful textbook and reference tool for online learning I have found. I have reviewed other textbooks, and none come close to providing the breadth of content that I feel is important to online success for my students. Without this textbook, I don't think I could teach my course. I developed my course around this textbook. The course has become a permanent offering at my college. I get so many positive comments from students about the course. Many state that they believe what they have learned in the course will help them succeed online and in the classroom."
"I like the fact that effective research and evaluation of resources is covered. Also, I like that copyright and plagiarism are covered. The text is easy to read, and I like the examples and student tips that are given. It makes it more personal."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
College Success CourseMate includes: An interactive eBook with highlighting, note taking and search features Interactive learning tools, including: Interactive Quizzes Glossary The E-Learning Readiness Self-Assessment How-To Tutorials.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.