Request for consultation
DRUG USE AND ABUSE takes an interdisciplinary approach in its coverage of current drug issues. It weaves psychological, historical, cultural, social, biological, and medical perspectives -- emphasizing the idea that a drug's effects depend not only on its properties, but also on the biological and psychological characteristics of its user. This theme is highlighted throughout, and is prominent in discussions of the individual classes of drugs, as well as in the chapters on pharmacology and psychopharmacology.
- Each chapter of the seventh edition has been updated to represent findings from the latest research, as well as to reflect social and legal changes related to drugs. The authors present the latest survey data available at this writing on patterns of drug use in the United States and in other countries worldwide. The seventh edition also aligns, where relevant, with the recently published Fifth Edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).
- New and expanded content: Updating throughout on how research in neuroscience and biopsych has provided more info on the use of specific drugs and the controversy that has come from the FDA on their approval. Expanded coverage of the widespread use of steroids in athletes and the general population. Addresses the topic of the declined use of some illegal drugs while the illegal use of prescription drugs is on the rise.
- The Drugs and Culture Boxes and Contemporary Issues Boxes have been updated.
- Increased references to the Website and more interactive material on the Website.
- Chapter 1 contains a new section entitled "DSM-V".
- Chapter 6 will have a new subsection on "Bath salts".
- Chapter 14 will have a new subsection on "Kratom".
- Diagnostic Pretests at the beginning of each chapter challenge students to test their knowledge of drugs while drawing their attention to important concepts of facts that follow in the chapter. Pretest answers and explanations at the end of each chapter provide an important review of the main concepts.
- A marginal glossary helps students identify and define key terms within the text. Marginal quotes help bring abstract concepts to life through personal accounts and comments about drug use and its ramifications.
- "Drugs and Culture boxes" examine the use of drugs in various societies and the consequences thereof.
- "Contemporary Issue" boxes discuss current controversies involving drugs or drug use, as well as events related to such controversies.
- The authors examine the macrocosmic drug-related issues of historical and social relevance, as well as the microcosmic effects of substance use on a single neuron in the human body.
- The authors explore the latest data on drug use patterns and social trends, such as the recent increase in heroin addiction.
2. Drug Use: Yesterday and Today.
3. Drugs and the Nervous System.
5. Psychopharmacology and New Drug Development.
6. Cocaine, Amphetamines, and Related Stimulants.
13. Psychotherapeutic Medications.
14. Other Prescription and Over-The-Counter Drugs.
15. Treatment of Substance-Use Disorders.
16. Prevention of Substance Abuse.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
The instructor's resource manual (IRM) contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning. For assessment support this manual also includes a test bank, featuring multiple choice, matching, and essay questions.
These vibrant, Microsoft PowerPoint lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture, by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions, create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want.