Request for consultation
Learn theLearn the basic skills needed to draw, detail, and design residential structures using standard construction practices involving wood, engineered materials, steel, concrete, and concrete block, as well as using "green" construction practices. CAD techniques based on the 2006 International Building Code are at the heart of this book that teaches methods to complete all the drawings needed to obtain a residential building permit. A host of real-world problems expose readers to a variety of drafting experiences and require them to go through the same thought processes that a professional CAD technician faces daily, including view layout, dimension placement, section placement, and more.
- professional architects, engineers, and designers provided most of the examples in the book, giving problems a real-world flavor that is consistent with industry practices
- all drawing parameters are based on the National CAD Standard, while a review of freehand sketching helps aid readers with their CAD drawing skills
- generic step-by-step procedures are provided for completing each of the required construction drawings using any AutoCAD program
- the back-of-book CD includes electronic checklists, common building permit requirements, AutoCAD blocks that include the skeleton drawings for 40 standard construction projects, and more
1. Professionals Architectural Careers
2. Preparing for Success
3. Computer-Aided Design and Drafting in Architecture
4. Building Codes and Interior Design
5. Interior Design Considerations
6. Exterior Design Factors
7. Site Design
SECTION II. SITE PLANS
8. Site Plan Considerations and Drawings Requirements
9. Site Related Drawing Layout
SECTION III. FLOOR PLAN & SUPPLEMENTAL DRAWINGS
10. Floor Plan Symbols, Annotation and Dimensions
11. Completing a Floor Plan
12. Electrical Design and Drawings
13. Plumbing Systems
14. Comfort Control Systems
SECTION IV. ROOF PLANS.
15 Roof Plan Components
16. Roof Plan Layout
SECTION V. ELEVATIONS
17. Introduction to Elevations
18. Elevation Layout and Drawing Techniques
19. Interior Finish Materials and Cabinets
SECTION VI. FRAMING METHODS AND PLANS
20. Framing Methods
21. Structural Components
22. Design Criteria For Structural Loading
23. Sizing Joists, Rafters, and Beams
24. Drawing Framing Plans
SECTION VII. FOUNDATIONS PLANS.
25. Foundation Systems
26. Floor Systems and Foundation Support
27. Foundation Plan Layout
SECTION VIII. DETAILS AND SECTIONS
28. Sectioning Basics
29. Section Layout
30. Stair Construction and Layout
31. Fireplace Construction and Layout
32. Creating drawings for Remodels, Restorations, and Additions
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor Resources provides teaching tips or guidelines, essay questions, answers to review and test questions, key objectives, glossary, appendices and exercises for content reinforcement.
Student Solutions Manual
The Solutions Manual contains worked solutions to problems included in the text.
The student workbook is design to help the user retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions, key term definition queries, multiple choice, fill in the blank and true or false problems.
The student workbook is design to help you retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions, key term definition queries, multiple choice, fill in the blank and true or false problems.