Request for consultation
The Cengage Learning DISCOVERY SERIES: INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY is designed to deliver traditional course content in an innovative "hybrid" learning format--instruction presented in a printed handbook paired with integrated online applications and assessments. The program promotes measurable mastery of core course learning objectives by guiding students' active engagement with content delivered through the book, images, video, simulations, and assessments. This contemporary approach to learning seamlessly integrates text and technology, enabling students to easily move from the book's instruction to its online applications for a deeper, lasting understanding of the core psychological concepts, and for assessments (all assignable) that reliably track students' progress and performance.
- Reading print to discover: Featuring content that is driven by learning objectives and organized into modules for optimal flexibility, the print component of the package provides a concise, but complete, course that introduces students to psychology's target concepts. (For those who prefer it, the book is also available electronically.)
- Focusing on learning objectives to promote better outcomes: Each module begins with a set of learning objectives that focuses students' reading and guides them through the content. All book and online content is mapped to these objectives to ensure that students are learning the appropriate material--and consequently meeting the objectives.
- Going online to interact and demonstrate learning: Available in Psychology CourseMate, each module's companion online content features media assets and activities that encourage vital interaction by requiring students to apply concepts and complete assignments to demonstrate their learning. Learning is then confirmed through a tightly integrated assessment that measures students' mastery of the module's learning objectives--and ensures that they meet the learning objectives before moving on.
- Connecting print and online features to promote student engagement: Text and online resources work hand in hand. For instance, a chapter-opening "Prepare to Learn" feature advises students on how to work through the chapter, and invites them to take an online chapter pre-test, establishing a baseline for self-assessment. Throughout chapters, prompts for online activities and quizzes appear in sidebars on right-hand pages, as do icons identifying the four basic types of online resources included in the text's package: videos, animations, readings, and assessments.
- Innovative page layout to keep students on track: Instructional pages that face each other consistently comprise three distinct learning "zones." Learning objectives appear in sidebars on left-hand pages, prompts for online activities and quizzes appear in sidebars on right-hand pages, and the instructional narrative spans the area in between. This consistent layout makes it easy for students to match learning objectives to instruction and assessments, helping them to remain oriented and productive throughout each chapter.
- Custom illustrations: Like its parent text, this text integrates visuals with every major concept and offers custom illustrations as well as carefully selected photos. These illustrations are the work of an artist who has collaborated with the authors to create over 250 original representations of psychology concepts such as short-term memory, the adaptive theory of sleep, underachievement, and artificial photoreceptors.
- Articles for critical thinking: Every chapter concludes with an article (and accompanying critical thinking questions) about a compelling subject related to the topic at hand. The articles and their questions are available in print and online. Some questions challenge students by asking them about the content of the article, while others challenge them by asking that they make connections with content covered in other chapters.
- Measure Your Learning review: The centerpiece of this comprehensive chapter review element is an easy-to-use matrix that shows module learning objectives, key terms/concepts, and corresponding online resources in side-by-side format. Each section concludes by prompting students to take the online chapter post-tests--the first a practice test with guided results, the second a final test.
2. Biological Bases of Behavior.
3. Sensation and Perception.
4. States of Consciousness.
7. Intelligence, Thought, and Language.
8. Lifespan Development.
9. Motivation and Emotion.
10. Social Psychology.
12. Psychological Disorders.
14. Stress, Health, and Coping.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Psychology CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Going online to interact and demonstrate learning throughout the Discovery Series: Introduction to Psychology, each module's companion online content, available in the Psychology CourseMate, features media assets and activities that encourage vital interaction by requiring students to apply concepts and complete assignments to demonstrate their learning. Learning is then confirmed through a tightly integrated assessment that measures students' mastery of the module's learning objectives—and ensures that they meet the learning objectives before moving on.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
WebTutor™ on Blackboard® with eBook on Gateway, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Succeed in your psychology course with this anytime, anywhere customized learning solution that reinforces and clarifies complex concepts, provides online quizzes with instant feedback and other online learning tools, and keeps you connected to your textbook, instructor, and classmates.