Request for consultation
Teach students to maximize their use of mobile devices, make the most of online tools for collaboration and communication, and fully utilize today’s Internet capabilities with the latest edition of DISCOVERING COMPUTERS 2018. Introductory computing students see how technology skills assist in employment and advancing their careers. This edition highlights today’s most current technology trends and developments. Timely coverage now emphasizes web development, how to create a strong web presence, and take full advantage of latest Windows 10. The authors provide helpful suggestions for hands-on exercises, small group activities, and discussion topics that allow students to apply and demonstrate their understanding of each module. Self-assessments open each module and enable learners to focus their study and learn more in less time. DISCOVERING COMPUTERS presents the key content that students need for success, using an inviting approach that ensures understanding.
- EXPANDED COVERAGE INTRODUCES TODAY’S WEB AND CLOUD APPS, VIRTUAL AND AUGMENTED REALITY, AND CROWDSOURCING. Students become familiar with the latest computer advancements as this edition’s timely coverage and online support address emerging issues and reflect the most recent applications and tools available.
- UPDATED REFERENCES REFLECT MICROSOFT® WINDOWS 10. Your students learn to take full advantage of the latest features of Microsoft® Windows 10 as they progress throughout this edition.
- BOOK’S STRUCTURE AND ORGANIZATION IMPROVES RETENTION AND UNDERSTANDING. The authors have used their teaching experience and technical expertise to present the information in a way that encourages students to retain the material. The book’s unique approach is specifically designed to encourage your students to develop strong technology literacy skills.
- TIMELY, FOCUSED MODULES HIGHLIGHT TOPICS MOST IMPORTANT FOR STUDENT SUCCESS. All content is structured using a proven approach to enhance the reader’s learning experience and highlight key information students need to know at home, at school, and at work.
- END-OF-MODULE ASSIGNMENTS PROVIDE CRITICAL HANDS-ON PRACTICE. The authors have carefully designed all assignments to help students develop the skills that are most important for their success in your course and in their future coursework and employment.
- UNIFYING THEMES CONNECT FEATURE BOXES AND MARGIN NOTES. Interesting in-module feature boxes and content reinforces each module’s theme and effectively directs readers’ attention to practical applications.
- ROBUST LEARNING FEATURES REFINE CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS. Consider This boxes, Ethics and Issues boxes, and questions posed throughout the book challenge students to critically evaluate and determine solutions for contemporary technology dilemmas.
2. Connecting and Communicating Online: The Internet, Websites, and Media.
3. Computers and Mobile Devices: Evaluating Options for Home and Work.
4. Programs and Apps: Productivity, Graphics, Security, and Other Tools.
5. Digital Security, Ethics, and Privacy: Threats, Issues, and Defenses.
Focus On: Technology Timeline.
6. Computing Components: Processors, Memory, the Cloud, and More.
7. Input and Output: Extending Capabilities of Computers and Mobile Devices.
8. Digital Storage: Preserving Content Locally and on the Cloud.
9. Operating Systems: Managing, Coordinating, and Monitoring Resources.
10. Communicating Digital Content: Wired and Wireless Networks and Devices.
11. Building Solutions: Database, System, and Application Development Tools.
12. Working in the Enterprise: Systems, Certifications, and Careers.
Focus On: Web Development.
Appendix A: Technology Acronyms.
Appendix B: Troubleshooting Computer and Mobile Device Problems.