Request for consultation
The highly respected DIVERSIFIED HEALTH OCCUPATIONS is now HEALTH SCIENCE! The new 8th edition continues to be the all in one resource for introductory coursework in the health science curriculum. Organized in two parts, the first section of the book presents foundational information required to enter a broad range of health professions, such as infection control, first aid, and professionalism. The second provides fundamental entry-level skills by specific careers, including medical assisting, dental assisting, and more. Carefully revised with new photos throughout, this eighth edition includes a new chapter on Medical Math, information on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, new nutritional guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, updates that correlate with the National Healthcare Foundation Standards, and much more!
- Provides more than 800 newly updated photos and illustrations that enhance learning and clarify technical content.
- Includes a new chapter on Medical Math that allows you to apply math concepts in health science careers.
- Career information has been updated and organized according to the Health Science Career Clusters.
- Includes many updates such as new viruses that can become potential sources of epidemics and pandemics, new health care careers, technological changes in health care and electronic medical records, information on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and much more.
- Includes revisions to the section on cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) to meet the American Heart Association's new 2010 standards for health care professionals.
- New nutritional guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture have been incorporated with instructions for using My Plate to plan a healthy diet.
- Fully updated Today's Research: Tomorrow's Health Care boxes located in each chapter discuss many new and unique research projects that may lead to possible cures or better methods of treatment for a wide range of diseases and disorders.
- Includes step-by-step procedures that provide your students with detailed information on proper technique for many health science skills.
- Includes review questions by chapter that assess your students' comprehension of key concepts.
- Updated supplements package includes new digital options like CourseMate.
- Content conforms to the National Healthcare Foundation Standards.
- Comprehensive in coverage, topics include medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, communication skills, professional standards and appearance plus specific careers skills coverage in popular careers such as dental assisting.
Part I: BASIC HEALTH CARE CONCEPTS AND SKILLS 1.
1. History and Trends of Health Care.
2. Health Care Systems.
3. Careers in Health Care.
4. Personal and Professional Qualities of a Health Care Worker.
5. Legal and Ethical Responsibilities.
6. Medical Terminology.
7. Anatomy and Physiology.
8. Human Growth and Development.
9. Cultural Diversity.
10. Geriatric Care.
11. Nutrition and Diets.
12. Computers and Technology in Health Care.
13. Medical Math.
14. Promotion of Safety.
15. Infection Control.
16. Vital Signs.
17. First Aid.
18. Preparing for the World of Work.
Part II: SPECIAL HEALTH CARE SKILLS.
19. Dental Assistant Skills.
20. Laboratory Assistant Skills.
21. Medical Assistant Skills.
22. Nurse Assistant Skills.
23. Physical Therapy Skills.
24. Business and Accounting Skills.
": [Health Science], 8th Edition is a one stop teaching tool for Health Science instructors. The information it provides will prepare students for a successful future in the health care field."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor’s Manual serves as an instructional resource and provides teaching tips and guidelines, essay questions, answers to review and test questions, key objectives, a glossary, appendices, and exercises for content reinforcement.
Student Companion Website
This website provides a variety of resources to help students review for class, including lecture slides and animations.
Instructor Companion WebSite
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
The student workbook is designed to help students retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions; key-term definition queries; and multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false problems.
Teacher's Resource Kit
The Teacher’s Resource Kit includes PowerPoint® presentations for each core textbook chapter, a computerized test bank, the Instructor’s Manual, and other text-specific resources.
The student workbook is design to help you retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions; key-term definition queries; and multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false problems.