Request for consultation
A national bestseller, DESIGN BASICS presents art fundamentals concepts in full two- to four-page spreads, making the text easy for students to refer to while they work and giving instructors the utmost flexibility in organizing the course. The authors provide diverse, two-dimensional visual examples from many periods, peoples, and cultures for all elements and principles of design. This updated edition features an exciting array of stunning new examples of painting, graphic design, architecture, and new media to help students recognize the language of design in everyday life. Icons throughout the book prompt students to access CourseMate, which provides studio art demonstrations, video interviews that provide insight into the creative process, interactive exercises that help students explore the foundations of art, and an interactive eBook.
- Dozens of new graphic design examples are included, along with a greater diversity of painting from all eras, including contemporary work.
- Examples from architecture as well as new media applications to journalistic photography and organic forms help students recognize the language of design in everyday life.
- Two paintings by John Moore and Louise Fishman, which have similar size and proportion and, at first glance, dramatically contrasting styles, are used throughout the book's 13 chapters to help students discover the diverse ways artists think about and execute design problem solving.
- In-depth video interviews with painter Sydney Licht and architect Jonathan Poore provide insight into the workings of design principles and elements across mediums and into the creative process itself. Their work is also highlighted throughout the text.
- CourseMate offers additional integrated video and multimedia content (including "In the Studio" video footage of art classes and chapter-opener engagement lectures from the author, Stephen Pentak), dozens of new studio activities, engaging learning modules, links to related art and design websites, and an interactive eBook.
- A flexible, modular organization enables you to use the text in any sequence.
- Each concept is covered in a two- to four-page spread, providing students with a resource and support that they can rely on throughout their art education and beyond.
- A stunning full-color illustration program features an extensive variety of culturally diverse artworks as well as examples that range from classic iconic works to contemporary visual culture.
- Coverage of visual culture encourages students to see the elements and principles of design in the icons, ads, web pages, animation, auto design, and other aspects of the world around them.
1. Design Process.
3. Emphasis and Focal Point.
Part II: DESIGN ELEMENTS.
9. Pattern and Texture.
10. Illusion of Space.
11. Illusion of Motion.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor Companion Site for DESIGN BASICS, 9E includes Cognero® computerized testing and Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides with lecture outlines and images that can be used as offered or customized by importing personal lecture slides or other material. Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content. You can create multiple test versions instantly and deliver them through your LMS, from your classroom, or wherever you may be. No special installs or downloads are required.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate with eBook brings the text to life with study tools that enhance student understanding, including chapter concepts videos narrated by the author, quizzes, image flashcards, and interactive foundations modules. CourseMate also offers in-depth video interviews with painter Sydney Licht and architect Jonathan Poore, video demonstrations of studio art techniques, links to related art and design websites, and dozens of design projects and research assignments. The interactive eBook provides an integrated, one-stop approach to accessing this edition's robust digital content and allows students to take notes, highlight, and search. Icons in the eBook serve as active links to specific resources to make it easier for them to know when to refer to specific modules for additional practice.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read the digital version of your book, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes online with CourseMate. You will find chapter concepts videos narrated by the author, chapter quizzes, image flashcards, and interactive foundations modules. CourseMate also provides in-depth video interviews with painter Sydney Licht and architect Jonathan Poore, video demonstrations of studio art techniques, links to explore related art and design websites, and dozens of design projects and research assignments. Icons in the eBook serve as active links to specific resources to make it easier for you to know when to refer to specific modules for additional practice.