Request for consultation
Give students a solid foundation in database design and implementation with the practical and easy-to-understand approach in DATABASE SYSTEMS: DESIGN, IMPLEMENTATION, AND MANAGEMENT, 12E. Filled with diagrams, illustrations, and tables, this market-leading text provides in-depth coverage of database design. Students learn the key to successful database implementation is the proper design of databases to fit within a larger strategic view of the data environment. This book combines a clear, straightforward writing style with an outstanding balance of theory and practice. Students gain the hands-on skills to make them attractive to employers. Updates include the latest coverage of cloud data services and a new chapter on Big Data Analytics and NoSQL, including related Hadoop technologies. In addition, new review questions, problem sets, and cases offer multiple opportunities for students to test their understanding and develop useful design skills.
- NEW MINDTAP® DIGITAL HOMEWORK SOLUTION OFFERS AN ONLINE, PERSONALIZED LEARNING EXPERIENCE. MindTap® combines learning tools -- such as readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments -- into a singular learning path that guides students through the course. You’ll find a full e-book as well as a robust set of auto-gradable homework problems. Multiple-choice homework questions confirm students’ understanding of core concepts and key terms. Higher-level assignments enable students to practice database design concepts in an automated environment and chapter quizzes help prepare for exams.
- NEW CHAPTER FOCUSES ON BIG DATA ANALYTICS AND NOSQL. Students remain on the leading edge of database concepts as they become familiar with emerging tools, such as Big Data Analytics, which examines traditional and digital sources inside and outside of the company for ongoing discovery and analysis, and NoSQL databases, designed for fast storage and retrieval of data without strictly using the tabular structure of SQL databases.
- ENHANCED COVERAGE ADDRESSES TODAY’S MOST COMMONLY USED DATABASE SYSTEMS. To provide students with a breadth of understanding of database design and programming across a range of DBMS products, this edition now introduces all of today’s most commonly used database systems, including Oracle®, MySQL™, SQL Server, and Microsoft® Access.
- REVIEW QUESTIONS, PROBLEM SETS, AND CASES CHECK STUDENTS’ COMPREHENSION OF KEY CONCEPTS. A variety of review questions, cases and problem sets throughout this edition provide multiple opportunities for students to apply concepts, examine applications, and test their understanding of chapter material.
- NEW TOPICS ENSURE YOUR COURSE COVERS THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS IN THE FIELD. This edition’s expanded coverage addresses Big Data, NoSQL, and Hadoop technologies, as well as other topics reshaping today’s approach to database systems.
- MEANINGFUL VISUALS CLARIFY CONCEPTS. This book’s full-color, detailed illustrations, tables, and diagrams enhance student comprehension and facilitate understanding of more complex concepts.
- STUDENTS WORK WITH MULTIPLE DATABASES IN VARIOUS FORMATS. This edition introduces and provides opportunities for readers to gain experience in implementation using all of today’s most commonly used database systems, including Microsoft® Access, Microsoft® SQL Server, MySQL™, and Oracle® databases.
- CLEAR PRESENTATION BALANCES THEORY AND PRACTICE. This book’s straightforward writing style offers an outstanding and understandable blend of foundational theory and today’s latest practices and applications.
- FULL SET OF TEACHING SUPPORT PROVIDES TIME-SAVING RESOURCES AND ONLINE TOOLS. This edition includes PowerPoint® presentation slides, MS Access databases, Oracle®, MySQL™ and SQL Server scripts, test banks, and digital interactive student exercises that provide flashcards, cross word puzzles, and more. A comprehensive Instructor's Manual includes all end-of-chapter solutions, suggested discussion material, and other resources to ensure you have a complete teaching tool.
1. Database Systems.
2. Data Models.
Part II: DESIGN CONCEPTS.
3. The Relational Database Model.
4. Entity Relationship (ER) Modeling.
5. Advanced Data Modeling.
6. Normalization of Database Tables.
Part III: ADVANCED DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION.
7. Introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL).
8. Advanced SQL.
9. Database Design.
Part IV: ADVANCED DATABASE CONCEPTS.
10. Transaction Management and Concurrency Control.
11. Database Performance Tuning and Query Optimization.
12. Distributed Database Management Systems.
13. Business Intelligence and Data Warehouses.
14. Big Data Analytics and NoSQL
Part V: DATABASES AND THE INTERNET.
15. Database Connectivity and Web Technologies.
Part VI: DATABASE ADMINISTRATION.
16. Database Administration and Security.
Appendix A: Designing Databases with Visio Professional: A Tutorial.
Appendix B: The University Lab: Conceptual Design.
Appendix C: The University Lab: Conceptual Design Verification, Logical Design, and Implementation.
Appendix D: Converting the ER Model into a Database Structure.
Appendix E: Comparison of ER Model Notations.
Appendix F: Client/Server Systems.
Appendix G: Object-Oriented Databases.
Appendix H: Unified Modeling Language (UML).
Appendix I: Databases in Electronic Commerce.
Appendix J: Web Database Development with ColdFusion.
Appendix K: The Hierarchical Database Model.
Appendix L: The Network Database Model.
Appendix M: Microsoft Access Tutorial.
Appendix N: Creating a New Database Using Oracle 12c.
Appendix O: Data Warehouse Implementation Factors
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Find everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, instructor’s manual, solutions files, data files, and test banks to fit your LMS.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing. powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Instructor Sample/Review copy of Database Systems: Design, Implementation, & Management, 12E provides a solid foundation in database design and implementation with a practical, easy-to-understand approach. This market-leading text presents in-depth coverage of database design with emphasis on designing databases to fit within a larger strategic view of the data environment. Using a clear, straightforward writing style, this text offers an outstanding balance of theory and practice with updates that reflect the latest developments, such as Big Data Analytics, NoSQL and Hadoop technologies.