Request for consultation
Practical and easy to understand, DATABASE SYSTEMS: DESIGN, IMPLEMENTATION, AND MANAGEMENT, Eleventh Edition, gives students a solid foundation in database design and implementation. Filled with visual aids such as diagrams, illustrations, and tables, this market-leading text provides in-depth coverage of database design, demonstrating that the key to successful database implementation is in proper design of databases to fit within a larger strategic view of the data environment. Renowned for its clear, straightforward writing style, this text provides students with an outstanding balance of theory and practice. The eleventh edition has been updated to include expanded relational algebra coverage, updated business vignettes showing the impact of database tech in the real world, updated coverage of cloud data services, expanded coverage of Big Data and related Hadoop technologies, SQL coverage expanded to include MySQL databases, and many other improvements! In addition, new review questions, problem sets, and cases have been added throughout the book so that students have multiple opportunities to test their understanding and develop real and useful design skills.
- New review questions, problem sets, and cases have been added throughout the book so that students have multiple opportunities to test their understanding.
- To ensure that students are provided with the most up-to-date material available, content has been expanded to add support for MySQL. New topics include expanded coverage of Big Data, NoSQL, cloud computing, expanded relational algebra coverage, and triggers within Microsoft Access 2013.
- Clear, straightforward writing style provides an outstanding balance of theory and practice.
- Instructor's Manual includes all end-of-chapter solutions, suggested discussion material, and other resources, giving teachers a complete teaching tool.
- Review questions, problem sets, and cases throughout the book provide multiple opportunities for students to test their understanding.
- Up-to-date content includes topics such as cloud data services, Big Data, and Hadoop technologies.
- Material on Ethics, as it pertains to the database administration function, is included so that students have a solid understanding of ethical dilemmas in the field.
- Full-color, detailed illustrations, tables, and diagrams enhance comprehension and facilitate understanding of more complex concepts.
- Multiple databases in various formats are used to provide readers with experience in implementation using MS Access, MS SQL Server, MySQL, and Oracle databases.
- Business vignettes offer insight on the most current issues and challenges facing database technologies today.
1. Database Systems.
2. Data Models.
Part II: DESIGN CONCEPTS.
3. The Relational Database Model.
4. Entity Relationship (ER) Modeling.
5. Advanced Data Modeling.
6. Normalization of Database Tables.
Part III: ADVANCED DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION.
7. Introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL).
8. Advanced SQL.
9. Database Design.
Part IV: ADVANCED DATABASE CONCEPTS.
10. Transaction Management and Concurrency Control.
11. Database Performance Tuning and Query Optimization.
12. Distributed Database Management Systems.
13. Business Intelligence and Data Warehouses.
Part V: DATABASES AND THE INTERNET.
14. Database Connectivity and Web Technologies.
Part VI: DATABASE ADMINISTRATION.
15. Database Administration and Security.
Appendix A: Designing Databases with Visio Professional: A Tutorial.
Appendix B: The University Lab: Conceptual Design.
Appendix C: The University Lab: Conceptual Design Verification, Logical Design, and Implementation.
Appendix D: Converting the ER Model into a Database Structure.
Appendix E: Comparison of ER Model Notations.
Appendix F: Client/Server Systems.
Appendix G: Object-Oriented Databases.
Appendix H: Unified Modeling Language (UML).
Appendix I: Databases in Electronic Commerce.
Appendix J: Web Database Development with ColdFusion.
Appendix K: The Hierarchical Database Model.
Appendix L: The Network Database Model.
Appendix M: Microsoft Access Tutorial.