Request for consultation
Relevant and accessible, CURRENT PSYCHOTHERAPIES, 10th Edition helps students learn, compare, and apply the major systems of psychotherapy in a way that is meaningful to both their classroom experience and their own practices. The book is used in top counseling, psychology, and social work programs, and features an outstanding group of contributors--each of whom is either an originator or a leading proponent of one of the systems. Each contributor presents the basic principles of the system, including how it compares with other systems, in a clear and straightforward manner. Each theory chapter includes a case example that guides students through the problem, evaluation, treatment, and follow-up process. The tenth edition features new chapters on Psychoanalytic Psychotherapies and Positive Psychotherapy, and completely rewritten chapters on Behavior Therapy and Adlerian Psychotherapy. CASE STUDIES IN PSYCHOTHERAPY, which accompanies the tenth edition, offers corresponding cases that demonstrate the basic techniques and methods of the theory being illustrated. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- The tenth edition includes a new chapter on Positive Psychotherapy written by Tayyab Rashid and Martin Seligman. Also new is the chapter on Psychoanalytic Psychotherapies, written by Jeremy Safran and Alexander Kriss.
- The chapters on Adlerian Psychotherapy (by Maniacci, Sackett-Maniacci, and Mosak) and Behavior Therapy (by Antony) have both been totally rewritten to reflect recent developments.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- The chapter on Analytical Psychotherapy was reluctantly dropped for this edition, primarily to keep the size of the book manageable for students reading the book within the limits of a 16-week semester. This chapter is still available at the book's website.
- All other chapters retained for this edition have been updated to include the most current and relevant research findings. In addition, all of the core chapters now address the very important topic of multiculturalism.
- An appendix offers extensive research assistance, including information on locating and evaluating resources, MLA style guidelines, and research methodology.
- A case-study book by the authors, CASE STUDIES IN PSYCHOTHERAPY, Seventh Edition, uses cases to bring basic techniques and methods to life.
- The tenth edition features a new chapter on Psychoanalytic Psychotherapies by Safran and Kriss; a completely rewritten chapter on Adlerian Psychotherapy by Maniacci, Sackett-Maniacci, and Mosak; a new chapter on Behavior Therapy by Antony; and a new chapter on Positive Psychotherapy by Rashid and Seligman.
- The authors examine the evidence-based support for each theory and share their ideas about the current controversy regarding the importance and limitations of evidence-based practice.
- The book is well known for its helpful pedagogy. Each chapter follows a consistent organization that allows students to read and study the book "horizontally" (from section to section) or "vertically" (comparing all chapter overviews, for example, before moving to all history sections). A reference chart at the front of the book helps student quickly locate information.
- Each theory chapter includes an "Applications" section that features a case example with a problem, evaluation, treatment, and follow-up.
- An extensive, detailed, and up-to-date glossary provides students with a convenient reference guide to the topics and terminology discussed in the book.
2. Psychoanalytic Psychotherapies/ Jeremy D. Safran.
3. Adlerian Psychotherapy / Michael P. Maniacci, Laurie Sackett-Maniacci, and Harold H. Mosak.
4. Client-Centered Therapy / Nathaniel J. Raskin, Carl R. Rogers, and Marjorie C. Witty.
5. Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy / Albert Ellis.
6. Behavior Therapy / Martin M. Antony.
7. Cognitive Therapy / Aaron T. Beck and Marjorie E. Weishaar.
8. Existential Psychotherapy / Irvin D. Yalom.
9. Gestalt Therapy / Gary Yontef and Lynne Jacobs.
10. Interpersonal Psychotherapy / Helen Verdeli.
11. Family Therapy / Irene Goldenberg, Herbert Goldenberg, and Erica Goldenberg Pelavin.
12. Contemplative Psychotherapies / Roger Walsh.
13. Positive Psychotherapy / Tayyab Rashid and Martin Seligman.
14. Integrative Psychotherapies / John C. Norcross and Larry E. Beutler.
15. Multicultural Theories of Psychotherapy / Lillian Comas-Diaz.
16. Contemporary Challenges and Controversies / Kenneth S. Pope and Danny Wedding.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
The instructor’s manual (IM) contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning, including key points and terms, activities, and discussion questions for each chapter. The manual can be downloaded at the password-protected instructor website, available through login.cengage.com.
CourseMate Instant Access
Available with the student text, Cengage Learning's Counseling CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated eBook, glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more--as well as Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course. The accompanying instructor website, available through login.cengage.com, offers access to password-protected resources such as an electronic version of the instructor's manual, test bank files, and PowerPoint® slides.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Quizzing with Flash Cards, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access