Request for consultation
This straightforward introduction to criminal procedure combines case excerpts with clear, detailed legal discussion and analysis to give students a solid understanding of the field. The book's longtime success can be attributed to its widely acclaimed author and his unique ability to help readers grasp the complexities of law by clearly presenting all sides of an issue. Dr. Samaha has a passion for wanting students to understand why procedures are as they are--instead of simply memorizing them. As a result, while most criminal procedure texts focus exclusively on "how to," Samaha combines "how" and "why." The Ninth Edition addresses the entire criminal procedure process--from search and seizure to post-conviction sentencing and review by appellate courts--while providing extensive case updates and new or expanded coverage of such key topics as the changing political nature of the Supreme Court, forensic evidence, terrorism, enhanced interrogation, military courts, immigration law, mass domestic violence, gun control, and more.
- Updated throughout, this edition presents expanded and/or updated coverage of such key contemporary issues as the changing political nature of the Supreme Court, forensic evidence, terrorism, enhanced interrogation, military courts, immigration law, mass domestic violence, gun control, and many other topics.
- "You Decide" boxes in every chapter put students in the role of law enforcement decision maker, challenging them to apply the legal concepts presented in the chapter to controversial real-world dilemmas such as the acceptable use of force or stand-your-ground laws.
- New "Criminal Procedure in Action" boxes introduce compelling court decisions in context and give students a concrete sense of the real world applicability of these cases for criminal justice professionals.
- All-new chapter openers feature high-interest vignettes about recent events, drawing students into the chapter material and enhancing relevancy by helping them understand how basic criminal procedure topics evidence themselves in the real world.
- Providing maximum learning reinforcement, each chapter begins with numbered learning objectives that are carefully matched to end-of-chapter summary sections and linked to corresponding quiz and test items.
- "White Collar Crime: The Other World of Criminal Procedure" boxes in most chapters keep students on the cutting edge by presenting real-world criminal law issues from this increasingly high-profile area, which is overlooked in other criminal procedure texts that focus exclusively on traditional "street" crime.
- Going well beyond the words in the principles, doctrines, and rules of criminal procedure examined in the text, "Case Excerpts" teach students to understand concepts by applying them to the facts of specific cases. Questions following each excerpt test students' knowledge and understanding of the principles, doctrines, and reasoning presented in the excerpt. Case Questions prompt students to evaluate, criticize, and propose alternatives to the parties' arguments and the decisions of the court as presented in the excerpt.
- Providing students with an excellent overview, Samaha's classical perspective illustrates how the constitutional principles of criminal procedure have endured for centuries--even while courts and legislatures adapt them to meet society's ever-changing needs.
2. Criminal Procedure and the Constitution.
3. The Definition of Searches and Seizures.
4. Stop and Frisk.
5. Seizure of Persons: Arrest.
6. Searches for Evidence.
7. Special Needs Searches.
9. Identification Procedures.
10. Remedies for Constitutional Violations I: The Exclusionary Rule and Entrapment.
11. Constitutional Violations II: Other Remedies Against Official Misconduct.
12. Court Proceedings I: Before Trial.
13. Court Proceedings II: Trial and Conviction.
14. After Conviction.
15. Criminal Procedure in Crises Times.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
This detailed manual provides sample syllabi, course guidelines, in-class exercises, and chapter objectives to assist instructors in teaching the course.
Online PowerPoint® (with Art)
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Online Test Bank (with Microsoft Word)
Organize your course and capture your students' attention with the resources found in the Test Bank, including multiple-choice, true/false, short-answer, and essay questions -- most with answers and page references for each chapter of the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.