Request for consultation
Concise, career focused, with cutting-edge topic coverage, the exciting new CRIMINAL JUSTICE IN ACTION: THE CORE, 8th Edition, delivers an accessible, applied, and real-world introduction to the field. Gripping photos and an engaging magazine-like layout make this succinct text ideal for a fast-paced course and visual learners. The text presents topics and cases straight from today's headlines, putting students in the center of the action with vivid, relatable examples that demonstrate the core principles of the American justice system at work. Reflecting reviewer feedback, the text combines just the right depth of coverage with innovative media resources and a wealth of learning tools that appeal to a variety of learning styles.
- New "Policy.cj" margin features highlight controversial policies in criminal justice--and promote critical thinking--by requiring students to do Internet research on a subject and then complete a short assignment based on the research. For example, students are asked to research hate crime legislation and give their opinion of this form of "penalty enhancement" legislation (Ch. 3). They are also asked to critique "no drop policies," which force prosecutors to press charges against domestic violence suspects even if the alleged victim of the violence refuses to cooperate (Ch. 7).
- "CJ Controversy" writing assignments begin with a short summary of a controversial criminal justice topic, then provide students with several arguments from each side of the divide. Finally, students are asked to do additional online research on the topic and write two paragraphs articulating their opinion on a certain aspect of the controversy. For example, students write about racial profiling as it pertains to local police and immigration law (Ch. 6) and draft a new law to address growing concerns over the widespread use of solitary confinement in our nation's prisons (Ch. 11).
- "Discretion in Action" boxes showcase the many difficult decisions that criminal justice professionals must make every day. These scenarios put students in the position of a CJ professional, be it a police officer, judge, or probation officer. For example, "High Speed Force" (Ch. 5) puts students in the heat of a police car chase and asks them to determine the best (and safest) way to resolve the situation. "Spitting Mad" (Ch. 12) requires students to determine the proper level of force that a correctional officer should use against a violent state inmate.
- Succinct yet thorough, this concise 14-chapter text provides instructors with the class time they need to discuss the individual components of the criminal justice system as well as career opportunities for students.
- To help students immediately connect with key concepts, each chapter opens with learning objectives that are matched to bulleted lists of key points in the end-of-chapter summaries. Learning objectives are also linked to corresponding questions in the Test Bank to provide maximum learning reinforcement.
- Recognized for its captivating style and content, CRIMINAL JUSTICE IN ACTION: THE CORE delivers intriguing, up-to-the-minute stories and case studies. In addition, its reviewer-praised photo program offers riveting photographs that engage today's visually oriented students.
- "Careers in Criminal Justice" boxes give students an up-close, realistic view of opportunities in today's market by profiling criminal justice professionals who offer first-person accounts of their jobs. These boxes--coupled with the Careers in Criminal Justice Website--help students understand the breadth of rewarding careers available in the criminal justice field.
- Each question in the Instructor Approved Test Bank has been carefully reviewed by experienced criminal justice professors for quality, accuracy, and content coverage--meaning instructors can be certain they are working with an assessment and grading resource of the highest caliber.
1. Criminal Justice Today.
2. Measuring and Explaining Crime.
3. Inside Criminal Law.
Part II: THE POLICE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.
4. Law Enforcement Today.
5. Problems and Solutions in Modern Policing.
6. Police and the Constitution--The Rules of Law Enforcement.
Part III: CRIMINAL COURTS.
7. Courts and the Quest for Justice.
8. Pretrial Procedures and the Criminal Trial.
9. Punishment and Sentencing.
Part IV: CORRECTIONS.
10. Probation and Intermediate Sanctions.
11. Prisons and Jails.
12. The Prison Experience and Prisoner Reentry.
Part V: SPECIAL ISSUES.
13. The Juvenile Justice System.
14. Today's Challenges in Criminal Justice.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Test Bank (with Microsoft Word)
Organize your course and capture your students' attention with the resources found in the Test Bank, including multiple-choice, true/false, short-answer, and essay questions -- with answers and references for each chapter of the text.
Online PowerPoint® (with Art)
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Online Instructor's Manual
This detailed manual provides sample syllabi, course guidelines, in-class exercises, and chapter objectives to assist instructors in teaching the course.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.