Request for consultation
Known for its accessibility, CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION delivers a field-based approach to modern investigative principles and practices that is strongly grounded in current research. Demonstrating techniques and practical applications, the eleventh edition introduces established tools, practices, and policies alongside the latest innovations in technology and science to give readers a broad perspective of criminal investigations today. Topics covered include D.N.A. evidence, terrorism and homeland security, standards of proof for stop vs. search/arrest vs. conviction, cybercrime, crimes against children, forensics and physical evidence, investigative photography and sketching, identity theft, white-collar crime, and ethics, among others. What’s more, the MindTap® that accompanies this text helps students practice and master techniques and key concepts while engaging them with video cases, career scenarios, visual summaries, and interactive labs for exploring investigative techniques.
- Cutting-Edge Content: Expansive new coverage includes the use of incident review and solvability factors as a critical step in managing criminal investigations; clearing a case; civil liability and reasons why failures occur in criminal investigations; using body cameras to document scenes and investigations; Brady/Giglio concerns; the increasing standard of proof required for stop vs. search/arrest vs. conviction; electronic data searches; cross-contamination of evidence; myths about criminal investigation; and many other topics.
- MindTap for Criminal Investigation, 11th Edition has met the Quality Matters Review Standards and is Quality Matters Certified. For more information, visit qualitymatters.org.
- Gripping Real-World Vignettes: Chapter openers have been updated with brand new vignettes that feature high profile, current stories from the world of criminal investigation.
- Updated Art Program: New illustrations, tables, and photos bring the key concepts to life.
- MindTap® Online Learning Platform: The new MindTap® for Criminal Investigation, 11th Edition, offers customizable content, course analytics, an e-reader, and an applied learning experience –- all delivered within your current learning management system. With its rich array of media assets –- all tagged by learning objective and Bloom's Taxonomy level –- MindTap engages students, guides them toward mastery of basic concepts, and advances their critical thinking abilities.
- Technology Innovations: Lead stimulating in-class discussions with these boxed features, which highlight the most recent advancements in criminal investigations. Topics include case management software, 3-D mapping of crime scenes, virtual autopsies using M.R.I. scanning, searchable video surveillance, and a new prototype method for detecting fingerprints with X-rays.
- Reliable Material: Get comprehensive, authoritative coverage with CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION, 11th Edition, which delivers the latest detailed updates on technology, statistics, laws, procedures and practices, and more.
- Best-Selling, Student-Friendly Format: Well-written, easy to read, and offering a field-based perspective grounded in current research, CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION is the book of choice for many criminal justice courses at any level.
1. Criminal Investigation: An Overview.
Section II: BASIC INVESTIGATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES.
2. Documenting the Crime Scene: Note Taking, Photographing, and Sketching.
3. Writing Effective Reports.
5. Forensics/Physical Evidence.
6. Obtaining Information and Intelligence.
7. Identifying and Arresting Suspects.
Section III: INVESTIGATING VIOLENT CRIMES.
8. Death Investigations.
9. Assault, Domestic Violence, Stalking, and Elder Abuse.
10. Sex Offenses.
11. Crimes Against Children.
Section IV: INVESTIGATING CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY.
14. Larceny/Theft, Fraud, and White-Collar Crime.
15. Motor Vehicle Theft.
16. Arson, Bombs, and Explosives.
Section V: OTHER CHALLENGES TO THE CRIMINAL INVESTIGATOR.
17. Computer Crime.
18. A Dual Threat: Drug-Related Crime and Organized Crime.
19. Criminal Activities of Gangs and Other Dangerous Groups.
20. Terrorism and Homeland Security.
21. Preparing for and Presenting Cases in Court.
Appendix A: Patrol Crime Scene Management Checklist.
Appendix B: Washington, DC, Metropolitan Police Department Homicide Case Review Solvability Chart.
Appendix C: Sudden In-Custody Death: An Investigator's Checklist.
Appendix D: Death Scene Checklist.
Appendix E: Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Cold Case Solvability Criteria.
Appendix F: Sample Form for Reporting Bias Crime.
"In my opinion, Hess' CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION has always been the most comprehensive textbook for criminal investigation. It provides all the basics associated with any criminal investigation and then provides detailed, in-depth explanation of the evidence and procedures involved in the investigation of specific crimes."
"This book is very well designed and I really applaud the authors for their excellent research, concise writing, identification of terms, and issues highlighted in boxes."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.