Request for consultation
The ninth edition of Kinney/Raiborn's COST ACCOUNTING: FOUNDATIONS AND EVOLUTIONS provides in-depth coverage of current cost management concepts and procedures in a straightforward and reader-friendly framework. The clean, concise presentation of materials and the updated illustrations reinforce and clarify the topics that readers traditionally struggle with most. In addition, real-world examples and ethical coverage are woven into the text so readers immediately see the relevance of the cost accountant's role in managerial decisions and learn to go beyond the numbers and think critically. Ensure mastery of the procedural and decision-making skills needed for future success with the Comprehensive Review Module, an array of newly improved end of chapter assignments, and the powerful, newly enhanced CengageNOW online learning and teaching system.
- New Addition of Green Accounting - Discussion about green accounting has been added to this edition where applicable, allowing students to learn more about this type of accounting.
- Updated Illustrations: The text's illustrations have been updated to reflect a more contemporary, streamlined feel.
- New Chapter Five organization: Based on user feedback, the discussion of job order costing based on standard costs has been moved into an appendix. The exhibits, learning objectives, and end-of-chapter items in chapter five have been reorganized accordingly. New example company Shaw Harley-Davidson and custom motorcycle manufacturing is used in chapter 5.
- End-of-chapter questions have been updated and improved for this new edition.
- The full CengageNOW online tool has been enhanced for this edition of COST ACCOUNTING: FOUNDATIONS AND EVOLUTIONS. With additional problems and rejoinders added to the homework set, CengageNOW allows you to ensure that your students are mastering the procedural and decision-making skills needed for future success. While using the integrated eBook, interactive learning tools, and personalized study plan, students will get the extra help they need. CengageNOW also allows you to assign any end of chapter questions from the text, provides students with enhanced feedback as they complete the homework, and of course alleviates the pain of grading. This integrated, online course management system saves you time as you efficiently plan your course!
- High-quality end-of-chapter assignments: Students practice accounting skills with a wide array of assignment types, including Internet research exercises, group activities, writing assignments, ethical problems, and Excel® template activities. Questions test basic chapter comprehension, exercises offer quick concept checks, and problems delve deeper into the concepts, testing students' retention of critical topics and procedures.
- Leading streamlined, student-friendly approach: Recognized for its unmatched readability, the book's thought-provoking writing keeps concepts intriguing and easy to comprehend. This edition's solid blend of concepts and practices will help students clearly understand how to solve actual business problems.
- Relevancy in today's business world: Updated illustrations and real-world examples appeal to today's students and clearly exemplify the chapters' concepts. These examples are integrated throughout the main body of the text in order to connect today's business world with the classroom experience immediately. New discussions of green accounting, where applicable, expose students to developing areas of accounting they may encounter in business.
- Developing ethical business leaders: The need for students to analyze business situations and make informed, ethical decisions is essential in today's business world. COST ACCOUNTING: FOUNDATIONS & EVOLUTIONS weaves ethical considerations throughout the chapter so that students learn to think consistently of the ethical implications of their actions. Potential Ethical Issues at the end of the chapter emphasize dilemmas students may encounter in business, and exercises and problems involving ethical considerations are marked with an ethics icon.
- Comprehensive Review Modules: Comprehensive Review Modules for each chapter ensure your students' mastery of concepts through succinct chapter summaries, potential ethical issues, solution strategies highlighting key equations and concepts, and demonstration problems that students can use as a framework for solving similar examples in homework assignments or exams. These modules reinforce the critical concepts from the chapter and show how to apply them.
2. Cost Terminology and Cost Behaviors.
3. Predetermined Overhead Rates, Flexible Budgets, and Absorption/Variable Costing.
4. Activity-Based Management and Activity-Based Costing.
5. Job Order Costing.
6. Process Costing.
7. Standard Costing and Variance Analysis.
8. The Master Budget.
9. Break-Even Point and Cost-Volume Profit Analysis.
10. Relevant Information for Decision Making.
11. Allocation of Joint Costs and Accounting for By-Products.
12. Introduction to Cost Management Systems.
13. Responsibility Accounting and Transfer Pricing.
14. Performance Measurement, Balanced Scorecards, and Performance Rewards.
15. Capital Budgeting.
16. Managing Costs and Uncertainty.
17. Implementing Quality Concepts.
18. Inventory and Production Management.
19. Emerging Management Practices.
Appendix A. Present Value Tables.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
Place the key teaching and preparation resources you need at your fingertips with the Instructor's Resource CD, which contains the Solutions Manual, the Instructor's Manual, the Test Bank in Word format, and ExamView® Testing Software as well as PowerPoint® Presentation slides and Excel® Spreadsheet Templates with Solutions.